NYC may ban trans fats.

djjd62

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:20 pm
Dracula wrote:
I keep misreading this thread as "tran frats" - you know, transvestite frat boys or something..

funny i keep misreading it as train farts, probably caused by all that trans fat
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:23 pm
To be more serious, I don't know about outlawing. I'm touchy about outlawing. I'm moderately convinced about not eating trans fats and have been for upteen years... though I'll eat them once in a while. I'm lucky on this, they inhabit grocery store aisles or shelves I tend to skip anyway.

My amazement is that this is showing up as an issue now instead of a long time ago.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:37 pm
I've know for at least 20 years that trans-fats were bad (anyone else remember Carlton Fredericks and Gary Null?). Had a big loud fight with a girl friend about butter vs. margarine in the middle of a deli once. I'm glad there's more awareness of the problem, but it's not practical to make it illegal, especially for restaurants. In would be impossible to police such at thing. Many restaurants (even upscale) outsource foods like bread and desserts, both notorious sources of trans-fat. Does NYC really have the money to hire food police? I think the money would be better spent on some service announcements, which will make more people aware of the problem and thus create a demand for non-trans fat foods. It's already happening because corporations are crowing all over their packaging and commericials that they have removed the trans-fats from their products. If they really want to make NYC a healthier place they should outlaw cars and switch buses and taxis' to biofuels.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
OK, agreeing with Green Witch generally here, and I agree with the twenty years...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:41 pm
Verdant Wiccan, I love it....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:43 pm
Actually, it took me a minute to get it. My first thought was - What makes the Hamsters think I'm Wiccan?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:27 pm
Look what happened in a country that decided to keep junk out of their beer. That was 490 years ago and is still the rule. Good law!
The German beer purity law or Reinheitsgebot (originally enacted in 1516), which permitted only four ingredients in the beverage: water, hops, barley, and yeast.
Germans claimed that the law protected public health from harmful
additives and public interest from misrepresentative advertising.
Though officially lifted in 1987 after an EC ruling, the purity
law's tradition continues in Germany.
The German beer market remains a difficult one to enter as those who want to sell German-style, limited ingredient beer may not substitute other
ingredients.
http://www.american.edu/TED/germbeer.htm
0 Replies