NYC may ban trans fats.

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 07:50 am
Trans fat is the same as cigarettes. Banning it is long overdue.There is precedent for this type of national food regulation.

Denmark, for example, imposes a harsh trans fats policy nationwide; penalties include fines and up to two years in prison. It is not clear what penalties the NYC measure would impose.

(Story continues below)
Doughnuts in danger? NYC may ban trans fats.
NEW YORK - Three years after the city banned smoking in restaurants, health officials are talking about prohibiting something they say is almost as bad: artificial trans fatty acids.
The city health department unveiled a proposal Tuesday that would bar cooks at any of the city's 24,600 food service establishments from using ingredients that contain the artery-clogging substance, commonly listed on food labels as partially hydrogenated oil.
Artificial trans fats are found in some shortenings, margarine and frying oils and turn up in foods from pie crusts to french fries to doughnuts.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15020846/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,545 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:18 am
hell why don't we ban life as well?

Banning transfats is a comedy when you stop and realize all the other health issues which will still exist. Bacon will still be available as will other grease laden foods. In New York it is utterly nonsensical when one stops to consider that while standing outside of the eatery a person will be overcome by exhaust fumes. Speaking of exhaust fumes, take a look at some of these nifty New York eateries with outside dining. Tables set close to the street and the traffic, causing both respiratory distress and auditory damage brought on from car horns blasting and jackhammers drilling.

One of the funnier things I have seen in this area since my return is the local children's playpen. A simply divine area in a submerged area and at a rather active traffic intersection. The area is about 3 feet lower than the street...a divine height for the top of a child's head. Added to this comedy is the sandbox area which is at the precise point of the intersection; although, in fairness it is at the higher street level. So why fret over transfats?

Transfats as a worry...not to me.

As to the smoking ban, it has left many residents up in arms as smokers now exit bars and restaurants for their smoking breaks. This creates additional respiratory distress for the tenants of the apartments being subjected to the fumes, and causes physical peril for all. A match or cigarette gets tossed in the path of a dog or a smoker is flailing their arms and hits an elderly person who falls and breaks a hip or wrist or leg or their head. The flailing smoker hits a rather angry person who turns and slugs the smoker, gunfire erupts and moments later an innocent diner is laying lifeless...but at least he didn't ingest any transfatty foods.

The City Council would be much better off figuring out how they plan to fix the broken sidewalks and the broken educational system than to waste time on a food matter which people already are aware of. As stated earlier in this post, there are other deadly foods still out there so this ban is merely a way for the council members to pat themselves on the back without really doing anything.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
I agree with Sturgis. I just wish the government would stay out of personal lives. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 08:47 am
Perhaps someday Letty. Someday.

Oh wait...CCR told us 'Someday never comes'...

Drat!
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 09:57 am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 11:04 pm
quote:
I just wish the government would stay out of personal lives.

That is what democracy is all about: governments are elected to pass laws for the good of the population. Whether it's DDT, asbestos, tobacco or trans fat, dangerous substances are taken off the market.
Bad enough that an adult eats awful stuff, he should be stopped from taking his kids to eat dangerous junk.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:14 am
detano inipo wrote:
quote:
I just wish the government would stay out of personal lives.

That is what democracy is all about: governments are elected to pass laws for the good of the population. Whether it's DDT, asbestos, tobacco or trans fat, dangerous substances are taken off the market.
Bad enough that an adult eats awful stuff, he should be stopped from taking his kids to eat dangerous junk.
And just where will it stop? As this idiocy goes into action The New York City Council now looks around at other food and alleged health woes which they can pounce upon.

Detano Inipo, let me tell you about the news broadcast last night. People are up in arms over this piece of legislation and let me explain why. Many of the smaller eateries are owned and run by people with limited English skills. Many of these places are dependent upon supplies which come from other countries and places within the Union that do not have these same legal requirements with regards to transfats. A local kosher baker is already aware that he cannot meet the new restrictions for his Passover treats. He apparently has looked at all of his recipes and each of them would bring him a summons. Bottom line here is that it is the small eateries which barely scrape by as it is which will suffer and in many cases end up ceasing operation. That is okay though because lo and behold then those fast food chains can swoop in and toss another deep fried burger joint into the area...but at least the 8 strips of bacon on the Wendy's burger (or the one at Burger King or Arby's) will be resting on a burger on a transFat free bun next to fries soaked in Caribou oil or some other such nonsense.

Of course there have also been whisperings of banning bacon and burgers and of course then chocolate and let's not forget sugar and maybe we should ban salt. Yeah, I think we should ban salt. Think about all the damage salt does. You see D.I.; just as people have been informed about the dangers of transfats, they have been equally (if not more so) informed of the dangers of salt...sodium if you will...in their daily diet. Ah yes sodium. Brings blood pressure up, causes water retention which puts a strain on all the vital organs. Yup. Salt must be banned.

Maybe next week we can ban cotton because using it threatens the livelihood of the boll weevil.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:15 am
Thousands of people are dying of cancer etc, courtesy of trans fat. That upsets me, your heart bleeds for businesses that dispense diseases.
Today, however, the overwhelming scientific evidence demonstrates the human health hazards correlated with the consumption of hydrogenated oils and trans fatty acids, which means there is no longer any reasonable justification for the use of this ingredient in foods, other than the profitability of the foods being marketed to consumers.
Using hydrogenated oils in foods is a strategy used by manufacturing companies to enhance the taste of their foods, add calories to their foods and extend the shelf life and shelf stability of those foods. This all adds up to higher profits for food companies. The real costs of using this ingredient, however, are shifted to consumers (a process called externalizing costs). Those include the starkly increased risk of a number of degenerative chronic diseases including heart disease, diabetes, birth defects, cancer, malabsorption of healthy oils and the universal breakdown of cell wall structures throughout all organs and tissues of the body, including nervous system tissues (eyes, brain, spinal cord, etc.).
http://www.newstarget.com/019410.html
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
If trans fats are outlawed then only outlaws will have trans fats!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 10:21 am
NickFun wrote:

Yeah, and they'll be bands of marauding banditos with names like The TransPhatty Killa Bees.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:11 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Thousands of people are dying of cancer etc, courtesy of trans fat. That upsets me, your heart bleeds for businesses that dispense diseases.
Today, however, the overwhelming scientific evidence demonstrates the human health hazards correlated with the consumption of hydrogenated oils and trans fatty acids, which means there is no longer any reasonable justification for the use of this ingredient in foods, other than the profitability of the foods being marketed to consumers.
Using hydrogenated oils in foods is a strategy used by manufacturing companies to enhance the taste of their foods, add calories to their foods and extend the shelf life and shelf stability of those foods. This all adds up to higher profits for food companies. The real costs of using this ingredient, however, are shifted to consumers (a process called externalizing costs). Those include the starkly increased risk of a number of degenerative chronic diseases including heart disease, diabetes, birth defects, cancer, malabsorption of healthy oils and the universal breakdown of cell wall structures throughout all organs and tissues of the body, including nervous system tissues (eyes, brain, spinal cord, etc.).
http://www.newstarget.com/019410.html
You are aware, aren't you, that this absurd banning will bring about the return of saturated fats which will lead to more heart ailments and clogged arterial passageways? Additionally the saturated fats wreck organs other than just the heart and the arteries. Those fats also attack the kidneys and the liver. These fats are also dangerous for the diabetic and untold thousands, no, millions of others. To just substitute them for the transfats without putting forth an educational campaign is pointless. It is merely replacing one danger with another.

Oh it was simply delightful to watch the upscale restaurant chef babble about how he now uses a half pound of butter and has found that heavy cream helps balance the flavor of some of his recipes (creations is what he actually called them) in place of the transfats which he had been using. Hmm... butter and heavy cream... hmm... cholesterol... hmm... health woes abounding. The real answer is to educate people and then let them decide for themselves. Give the people choices and let them choose. Face it D.I., there are dangers in all foods, it is just a matter of which one you opt for. The high fat naturals which you wish to shove forward carry an equally grave health risk and up until the sudden hatred of transfats, were considered items to be avoided.

Maybe we ought to just chew cardboard.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:40 pm
There will be armies of spinners who will say anything to keep the bad because it is good for business.
Remember the TV actors in white coats looking like doctors? They told us that cigarettes are good for our health.
http://www.fitnessandfreebies.com/fitness/transfats.html
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 06:43 pm
Whatever works for you...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:03 pm
Funny, detano, I was just going to post that link - it's fairly concise summary of present pros and cons. The article restates what I've read elsewhere, that Sat fat is not worse than trans, but that the opposite is true (my caveat being that "they" do seem to keep finding new conclusions.)

I remember from some other source that polyunsaturated is better that saturated fats and trans fats (partially hydrogenated polys), and less great for you than monosaturates such as canola and olive oil.

The differences seem to lie in which of the types of cholesterol any particular kind of fat raises or lowers, and then on what that all has to do with arterial plaque formation.

Somewhere there must be a nice thorough article on all this - probably in my computer files, but I'll be back on that later.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:22 pm
mmmmmmm potato chips cooked in lard.

You realize that the entire hospitality industry of NYC is based upon fats
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
Lard, the new ok fat. Well, at least it doesn't depress HDL (the "good" one).

I love salty greasy potato chips myself. Pass the bag...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:16 pm
Peanut oil for tater chips, man. Any junk food gourmand knows that...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 08:18 pm
I keep misreading this thread as "tran frats" - you know, transvestite frat boys or something..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Right, high heat very fast...
0 Replies

nimh

NickFun wrote:

Razz
0 Replies