How come some days I can, and some days I almost can't?

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:04 pm
I can't believe I am posting a topic here, but here it goes.

I am (as no doubt are we all) increasing my exercise.

One of the things I do is walk to work as many days as I can, and part of the way home. That's roughly 55 minutes in the am, and 20 in the pm.

Why oh why on some days can I herb along effortlessly (like last Thursday) and barely notice anything (until the last hill in the am) and other days feel like I am having to force myself to put one leg in front of the other, and am really tired when I get to work? Some variation I understand, or when I am ill, but this is nuts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,195 • Replies: 111
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
They used to explain this by some set of cycles (I forget the phrases).

I dunno. Me, I'd say there are changes in body chemistry that underlie other explanations.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
Curious. You do everything else with consistency? Same amount of sleep every night? Eating habits more or less the same? How about water intake?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:09 pm
I know what you mean, sister. Some days one feels like one is walking in cement.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
Hmmm....my habits can vary quite a lot...water I usually drink a lot of.

Sleep etc can go up and down.

Here's another thing...I often get crampy later in the night after exercise.

That's some damn simple thing I need to take, isn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
What kind of crampy?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:29 pm
I remember my mother having foot and leg cramps, and now, g.d.it, I have them too, fairly rarely, but enough to freak me out.

Thinking, potassium.. but not at all sure.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:30 pm
Crampy crampy!

I easily have cramps triggered by leg position etc.

It's worse in my "bad" leg........I have a chronic lower back problem, especially on the left side, and that leg is more vulnerable.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:31 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I remember my mother having foot and leg cramps, and now, g.d.it, I have them too, fairly rarely, but enough to freak me out.

Thinking, potassium.. but not at all sure.

I swear it is more common as one gets older!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:32 pm
Calcium and magnesium (can be found together in one pill) is supposed to be good for muscle cramps. (if I said 'crampy' it would be in reference to girlie problems).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:34 pm
littlek wrote:
Calcium and magnesium (can be found together in one pill) is supposed to be good for muscle cramps. (if I said 'crampy' it would be in reference to girlie problems).

You guys call em charlie horses, or something weird like that, don't you?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:36 pm
In looking up calcium-magnesium (calmag) I noticed something I'd seen associated with leg cramps before. Diabetes can trigger leg cramps.

More about leg cramps:
http://www.dmt123.com/alternative-medicine/1702-dmt123.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:37 pm
Charlie horse is sort of an old-fashioned term by now. Most people call them <part of body> cramps.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:44 pm
littlek wrote:
In looking up calcium-magnesium (calmag) I noticed something I'd seen associated with leg cramps before. Diabetes can trigger leg cramps.

More about leg cramps:
http://www.dmt123.com/alternative-medicine/1702-dmt123.html

While I was immediately fascinated by the lumbar plexus material!!!!

Which also explains why my left leg is also prone to becoming a little oedematous when my back is especially bad...I always thought the lymphatic system was affected..perhaps by chronic inflammation and/or pressure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 07:56 pm
tuning in... I have lumbar stuff from my damn eyes, missing curbs and jerking self around, over decades. I have relatively light symptoms, a few back whackos over the years where I can barely stand, but they mostly go away.
and, as we all know, a lot of people have this, so I prefer not to whine.

But... cramps are creepy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:00 pm
Creepy? How so?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:01 pm
I eat a lot of calcium rich foods... perhaps I'm missing magnesium...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:02 pm
Creepy... as in This Will Never Stop, scary.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:07 pm
Bananas!

and....

Quote:
whole grains, nuts, beans, seeds, fish, avocados, and leafy green vegetables; they're some of the most nutritious foods around. An ounce of sunflower seeds contains 100 milligrams; almonds, 85; cashews, 75; wheat germ, 70; brazil nuts, 65; dark chocolate, 35. A half cup of cooked spinach, Swiss chard, or cooked beans contains 60 to 80 milligrams. Three ounces of many kinds of fish has 50 to 90 milligrams. About 80% of the magnesium in grains is in the bran and germ, which are removed in the milling of flour and rice, so refined grain products (such as white bread and white rice) are poor sources. If your drinking water is hard, you'll get a fair amount of magnesium from it. UC Berkley Wellness Letter
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:12 pm
Do you eat the same thing for breakfast every day? I'm wondering if the high energy walks might come after a higher carb breakfast and the low energy walks following a high protein meal.
0 Replies