End of the World Sacrifice?

Raul-7

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 07:16 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
further to Raul's post RexRed, can you tell me just how good a Christian Mohammed really was? Perhaps on a scale 1 -10.

I suspect Mohammed was a very bad Christian.

Do you not understand that all the prophets sent preach the same religion (underlying message)? The only difference is that the Quran has been preserved and thus it has kept all it's original preachings and message. Such as praying, how to divided your wealth after you die, marriage, divorce, punishment of crimes, how much you need to pay charity based on your income, etc.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:27 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
As for prophet Muhammad (PBUH), this just shows your ignorance and your biased hatred towards Islam.
I admit to being relatively ignorant about Islam, but what I know confirms my contempt, and the more I learn, the deeper it gets. Some ideas really are BAD, and Islam is one.

It's because you let your biases get in the way of your intellect, you focus on the negative and ignore the positive.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 8 Nov, 2006 11:28 pm
echi wrote:
Quote:
Differences of opinion on intellectual issues, and - by extension - on juristic ones as well, are natural on account of the inherent disparities in intelligence, understanding, and analytic capacity with which people are created. If we accept that this statement is valid. Then we must also accept that differences of opinion between several Companions during the time of the Prophet and the rightly-guided Khulafaa' did occur, and these have been well documented. We would be doing a disservice to this religion if we denied this phenomenon. By the same token we do not regard an open discussion of these differences as detracting from the purity of the Islamic message or from the sincere intention of those Companions who had differences. Indeed we can say that in mentioning these differences openly we are in fact testifying to the objective reality and validity of the Islamic religion.

--taken from the USC website [emphasis added]

In admiting to these differences they appear to acknowledge the subjectivity inherrent in any interpretation. I see no reason to claim the opposite.

What do you think, R7?

Read the rest of the article. It should answer your questions.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 01:34 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Read the rest of the article. It should answer your questions.

All right. Break it down for me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 09:33 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
As for prophet Muhammad (PBUH), this just shows your ignorance and your biased hatred towards Islam.
I admit to being relatively ignorant about Islam, but what I know confirms my contempt, and the more I learn, the deeper it gets. Some ideas really are BAD, and Islam is one.

It's because you let your biases get in the way of your intellect, you focus on the negative and ignore the positive.
no just the opposite. Its because my intellect tells me Islam is a BAD idea. Like scientology or cannibalism.

I dont hate ordinary Muslims, I feel sorry for them. But I hate the propagation of bad ideas...ideas that lead ordinary people to hate and kill in the name of allah because they believe they are doing Gods will, are jihadists and martyrs and will go to heaven. The muslims are being exploited by the political islamists who are interested in things here on earth not in the life to come.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 02:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

no just the opposite. Its because my intellect tells me Islam is a BAD idea. Like scientology or cannibalism.

I dont hate ordinary Muslims, I feel sorry for them. But I hate the propagation of bad ideas...ideas that lead ordinary people to hate and kill in the name of allah because they believe they are doing Gods will, are jihadists and martyrs and will go to heaven. The muslims are being exploited by the political islamists who are interested in things here on earth not in the life to come.

How about the bad ideas that lead ordinary people to hate and kill in the name of democracy because they believe they are doing God's will? The democracies are being exploited by the political parties who are interested in things here on earth not in the life to come.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 10:43 pm
Mindonfire,

I think you mean the idea of democracy is being exploited. In a real democracy the people would not be so easily fooled.

Islam, it seems, is just another belief system that is not based on reason (like consumerism/materialism). That's a pretty serious flaw in the foundation.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:32 pm
echi wrote:

Islam, it seems, is just another belief system that is not based on reason (like consumerism/materialism). That's a pretty serious flaw in the foundation.

Really how? You don't even know anything about Islam and yet you're calling unreasoned? Tell me what is illogical about it?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:41 pm
Well, let's see. . .

Islam takes a literal view of the Abrahamic myth. It advances a belief in magic and other scientifically absurd ideas.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 9 Nov, 2006 11:49 pm
echi wrote:
Well, let's see. . .

Islam takes a literal view of the Abrahamic myth. It advances a belief in magic and other scientifically absurd ideas.

Like what, give me examples.

Abrahamic myth? You mean when they burned him for a whole week and he lived?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:12 am
Raul-7 wrote:

Muslims believe in the existence of a deity.

Who was burned for a week? I hadn't heard about that.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 12:48 am
echi wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:

Muslims believe in the existence of a deity.

Who was burned for a week? I hadn't heard about that.

Then who do you think created you, is it not God? Who's the one who sustains you day-in and day-out, if God wanted he could stop you from breath away. He made everything on this Earth perfect for everyday living, from the atmosphere, to our distance from the Sun, to the moon (which uncomparable to any other moon in our Galaxy), to all the cycles that take place on this Earth that our essential to our survival, such as the water cycle for example. Clearly this did not take place by mere luck.

And He has made everything in the heavens and everything on the earth subservient to you. It is all from Him. There are certainly signs in that for people who reflect. (Surat al-Jathiyah: 13)
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 01:00 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Then who do you think created you, is it not God?

I don't accept the idea of "creation" in the sense that you suggest.
You assume too much about your own nature.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 04:59 am
Raul-7 wrote:
Then who do you think created you, is it not God? Who's the one who sustains you day-in and day-out, if God wanted he could stop you from breath away. He made everything on this Earth perfect for everyday living, from the atmosphere, to our distance from the Sun, to the moon (which uncomparable to any other moon in our Galaxy), to all the cycles that take place on this Earth that our essential to our survival, such as the water cycle for example. Clearly this did not take place by mere luck.
Not luck...but not design either.

If the earth was not the way it was, then life would have evolved differently and 'we' might be quite unrecognisable to 'us'.

The earth is the way it is because it was conducive to life on earth evolving and - through natural selection over billions of years- leading to man observing that the earth is good for man. Its called the anthropic principle. Similar reasoning can be applied to the cosmos. If the universe was not the way it was, then we would not be here to observe it.

[In what way is earth's moon "uncomparable" with other moons? And whilst I'm at it why do Muslims worship the moon?]

Homework for you Raul, find out about the weak and strong versions of the anthropic principle.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 11:43 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Raul-7 wrote:
Not luck...but not design either.

If the earth was not the way it was, then life would have evolved differently and 'we' might be quite unrecognisable to 'us'.

The earth is the way it is because it was conducive to life on earth evolving and - through natural selection over billions of years- leading to man observing that the earth is good for man. Its called the anthropic principle. Similar reasoning can be applied to the cosmos. If the universe was not the way it was, then we would not be here to observe it.

[In what way is earth's moon "uncomparable" with other moons? And whilst I'm at it why do Muslims worship the moon?]

Homework for you Raul, find out about the weak and strong versions of the anthropic principle.

Who said Muslims worship the moon? We just use it for our calender.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 10 Nov, 2006 03:29 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

Raul-7,

Steve 4100 brings up a very good point. You seem to have a very Earthcentric conception of the cosmos. "Clearly this did not take place by mere luck." This statement implies that you believe Earth and the human species to be "special", in some unique way.
It can be frightening to consider the vastness and complexity of our universe ...the vulnerability and uncertainty of our planet and our species. But we will never find any solutions if we never face any truths.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:04 pm
echi wrote:
Mindonfire,

I think you mean the idea of democracy is being exploited. In a real democracy the people would not be so easily fooled.

What does democracy have to do with intellect?

echi wrote:

Why do you say that?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 02:18 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:
Mindonfire,

echi wrote:

Why do you say that?

Why do you ask? Do you disagree?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 06:50 pm
echi wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:
Mindonfire,

echi wrote:

Why do you say that?

Oh yes. Everyone and everything has a reason. It may not be your reason, but it is reason nonetheless. Islam has a lot of reason. Because you are unable to look at it objectively, you will not see it. The world is subjective, therefore if you wish to understand it, you must become an objective observer. > Immolations (Pos. and Neg.)

By the way, "What does democracy have to do with intellect?"
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sat 11 Nov, 2006 08:00 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:
Mindonfire,

echi wrote:

Why do you say that?

Oh yes. Everyone and everything has a reason. It may not be your reason, but it is reason nonetheless. Islam has a lot of reason. Because you are unable to look at it objectively, you will not see it. The world is subjective, therefore if you wish to understand it, you must become an objective observer. > Immolations (Pos. and Neg.)
The point is that a person might not be aware of the reason.
For what reason does a person believe a lie?

Quote:
By the way, "What does democracy have to do with intellect?"

Quite a lot. Don't you agree?
0 Replies