TRUE or FALSE: What Goes Around Comes Around ?

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
TRUE or FALSE: " What Goes Around Comes Around " ?

In other words,
has experience led u to believe
that your good deeds or bad deeds
affect the quality of your LUCK ?

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,410 • Replies: 192
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 08:58 am
Re: TRUE or FALSE: What Goes Around Comes Around ?
OmSigDAVID wrote:
TRUE or FALSE: " What Goes Around Comes Around " ?

In other words,

David

As a little kid growing up, I was taught to always give money to the poor on the street or elsewhere. My mother always told me that doing so would bring me luck.

David, it has brought me luck and every time I make a "killing" in the stock market, I send the Salvation Army a check.

Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 09:35 am
Many evil people lived fairly luxurious lives and had relatively peaceful deaths: Stalin, "Baby Doc" of Haiti, Mao Zedong, Caligula, Lizzie Borden, etc.
Many good people have had lives riddled with tragedy.
I do not believe there is justice in this world and I can only hope there is justice somewhere in the universe.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 10:30 am
There is justice in this world, why else is it legal for citizens of the US ( with proper documentation etc.) to carry guns.

:wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 11:42 am
Green Witch wrote:
Many evil people lived fairly luxurious lives and had relatively peaceful deaths: Stalin, "Baby Doc" of Haiti, Mao Zedong, Caligula, Lizzie Borden, etc.
Many good people have had lives riddled with tragedy.
I do not believe there is justice in this world and I can only hope there is justice somewhere in the universe.

this is very close to the way I feel, GW. I try to believe that there is justice somewhere, because I see justice thwarted so often here.
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 05:04 pm
Met a gentleman today who told me that years ago he helped a young deaf man and gave him a job and trained him when no one else was bothered with him.

Years later this gentleman had a daughter who is profoundly deaf.

Don't know what this proves except that life sure isn't fair.
0 Replies

flakker

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:04 pm
"As a little kid growing up, I was taught to always give money to the poor on the street or elsewhere. My mother always told me that doing so would bring me luck."

would telling them to get a job yield the same luck?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 05:25 pm
flakker wrote:
"As a little kid growing up, I was taught to always give money to the poor on the street or elsewhere. My mother always told me that doing so would bring me luck."

would telling them to get a job yield the same luck?

Of course not.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:20 am
Miller wrote:
There is justice in this world,
why else is it legal for citizens of the US ( with proper documentation etc.) to carry guns.
:wink:

It is legal for American citizens to carry guns
because citizens with guns CREATED the government that enacts any laws.

In doing so,
thay explicitly put control of guns beyond the reach
of the government that thay created,
knowing that thay might need those guns
to REMOVE government later on,
as indeed, thay had just finished DOING
with the King 's government.

It was also known
that the citizens needed those guns
to defend themselves from the depredations
of common criminals and of animals.
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:25 am
Re: TRUE or FALSE: What Goes Around Comes Around ?
Miller wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
TRUE or FALSE:
" What Goes Around Comes Around " ?

In other words,

David

As a little kid growing up, I was taught to always give money to the poor on the street or elsewhere.
My mother always told me that doing so would bring me luck.

David, it has brought me luck and every time I make a "killing" in the stock market,
I send the Salvation Army a check.

Laughing

That 's interesting.

When I donate,
I prefer to do so INDIVIDUALLY,
even to a bum in the street,
rather than to collectivist charities.

I believe that is more successful
in creating happiness.
David
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:27 am
I find that when I'm in a bad mood, I tend to assume that other people are having the same kinds of thoughts as me; I assume they're all judging me and thinking negative thoughts.

On the flipside, when I'm feeling confident and optimistic, it seems much more likely that I'll stumble upon some unexpected opportunities that I probably would not have noticed, or felt deserving enough to accept, otherwise.

So, I suppose I'm a believer in "instant karma". When you do something good, you feel better, and you see the world as being a better place with you in it.
-----------------------------------
BTW, I used to think it was better to give to individuals, but I'm not sure, anymore. I don't think it's bad, but it may be better to give to an organization. There should be somewhere for them to find help... somewhere that will distribute the resources evenly. I don't think they should be have to compete for the best street corner.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:56 am
I agree with this David, although I also contribute to some collectivist charities that I know are reputable and use the majority of the contribution for the actual work for the actual people they're allegedly working for and not to administrators etc.

As well as whatever little happiness you're creating for that person at that moment, giving to the person at that level also creates a connection of a sort that might be meaningful to that person, or even to you, at some point in time. It creates a little goodwill in the world, and there's not enough of that in my opinion.

And I've decided that it doesn't matter to me what they'll spend it on. Once I've given that money to them, it's no longer any of my business what they do with it. I've determined to trust them as individuals to know what they need. If it's a drink, hell, we all need a drink sometimes (or at least most of us do). I'm not going to sit in judgement of what I might perceive to be their weakness, or how they've chosen to get through life. Actually, I think they show more integrity by truthfully and honestly just asking for money than a lot of people who live in houses and drive cars, but who take what shouldn't be theirs dishonestly or covertly.
At least these people give everyone the opportunity to say no.

I also give a smile. Sometimes I think that means more than the money.

I do it because when I was little I learned a bible verse about the fact that Jesus might come knocking at our door or walking into our life at any time. He might be dressed as a king, he might be dressed as a beggar - you just don't know. So you have to treat everyone as if they could be Jesus, or a king.
Funny how that's what stuck with me from my childhood, while the need for guns and ammo is what has stuck with you- or maybe it's not so funny.

*I've also worked very closely with homeless people. I've learned the ins and outs about homelessness up close, and I know these people (in the main) have had very few breaks in their lives, or a lot of bad breaks, starting from the beginning from when they had very little control over how it was handled. And I know it could have gone that way for me too, it's not that I'm a better person necessarily, I just landed in a good situation from the beginning. A lot of these people haven't had that luxury.

I do think what goes around comes around, even right here on earth. But not in a way you can see tangibly or immediately all the time. I think Steve Lay was miserable inside before he ever got caught, because he was doing miserable things. I think he was probably always miserable inside, and that's what led him to do miserable things, and doing such miserable things just made him and a lot of other people more miserable. Misery begets misery.
Luckily, I believe the same dynamic is true for happiness.

So yeah, I do believe what goes around comes around-we just might not see it, because we're so intent on looking at the outward trappings of either happiness or misery, but you can't compare your inside to someone elses outside and come away with any accurate conclusion about who's lucky or blessed.
Just take yourself as an example: I think you're really different inside than you portray yourself on the outside (as we all are) but you're outside portrayal, I think, is particularly misleading Laughing but hey, that's your business.
Have a lovely Sunday.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:45 am
Quote:
I do think what goes around comes around, even right here on earth. But not in a way you can see tangibly or immediately all the time. I think Steve Lay was miserable inside before he ever got caught, because he was doing miserable things. I think he was probably always miserable inside, and that's what led him to do miserable things, and doing such miserable things just made him and a lot of other people more miserable. Misery begets misery.
Luckily, I believe the same dynamic is true for happiness

When I said Steve Lay, I meant Ken Lay, the Enron guy. I told you my memory was going down the tubes. Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 04:48 am
echi wrote:
I find that when I'm in a bad mood,
I tend to assume that other people are having the same kinds of thoughts as me;
I assume they're all judging me and thinking negative thoughts.

I believe the shrinks call that : " projection ".

Quote:

On the flipside, when I'm feeling confident and optimistic,
it seems much more likely that I'll stumble upon some unexpected opportunities that I probably would not have noticed,
or felt deserving enough to accept, otherwise.

So, I suppose I'm a believer in "instant karma".

When you do something good, you feel better,

IF it is accepted,
and if its value is emotionally successful.

I have had good looking chicks get mad when I 've given them $100.oo bills,
and I 've given a few $$ to bums in the street
( who r pulling cans n glass bottles of the the garbage, for the nickle refunds )
thay 've acted as tho I 'd given them last week 's newspaper,
tho thay 'd have to take 20 cans from the garbage, for $1.

Quote:

and you see the world as being a better place with you in it.
-----------------------------------
BTW, I used to think it was better to give to individuals, but I'm not sure, anymore.
I don't think it's bad, but it may be better to give to an organization. There should be somewhere for them to find help... somewhere that will
distribute the resources evenly.
I don't think they should be have to compete for the best street corner.

I endeavor to create THRILLS OF HAPPINESS, by donating.
For that to be accomplished,
we must give to one individual, or only a few individuals.

For instance,
I have hired hot air balloons for rides for my SIG Members.
While flying low over some grassy land,
I saw some children playing in the grass ( like a park ).
I had a lot of dimes n quarters in my pocket.
I threw them out of the balloon basket.
Thay flashed in the sunlite, as thay fell.
The pilot of the balloon called out to the children.
Thay approached n took the fallen coins, from the grass.

I imagine that there 's a fair chance that thay were surprized,
at this event. How ofen does it rain money, from a colorful passing balloon ?

Has anyone taken a survey on that point ?
David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:38 am
aidan wrote:
I agree with this David,
although I also contribute to some collectivist charities that I know are reputable and use the majority of the contribution for the actual work for the actual people they're allegedly working for and not to administrators etc.

As well as whatever little happiness you're creating for that person at that moment,
giving to the person at that level also creates a connection of a sort that might be meaningful to that person,
or even to you, at some point in time.

It can be BIG Happiness, sometimes.
I remember giving a $20 bill to a pretty girl, about 20 years old, with her friends,
at Disneyworld. She actually leaped up a good 14 inches,
while squealing with joy.

It was effective; hopefully, it will be remembered.

Quote:

It creates a little goodwill in the world, and there's not enough of that in my opinion.

And I've decided that it doesn't matter to me what they'll spend it on.
Once I've given that money to them, it's no longer any of my business what they do with it.
I've determined to trust them as individuals to know what they need.
If it's a drink, hell, we all need a drink sometimes (or at least most of us do).

I 've had a street bum hit me up
for a few $$ for a bottle of hootch. I gave it to him.

Quote:

I'm not going to sit in judgement of what I might perceive to be their weakness, or how they've chosen to get through life. Actually, I think they show more integrity by truthfully and honestly just asking for money than a lot of people who live in houses and drive cars, but who take what shouldn't be theirs dishonestly or covertly.
At least these people give everyone the opportunity to say no.

I also give a smile.
Sometimes I think that means more than the money.

I remember once, on a New Year 's Day,
during the Reagan Administration.
I was with a couple of ladies who decided
to see a local movie, in lower Manhattan.

As we approached the theater,
a red haired fellow, about 20 or 25, emerged from a construction site,
and asked me for a handout ( maybe a quarter ).
I sent the ladies ahead,
to the movie, and gave the fellow a $5 bill.
He was happy. I told him: " There 's something I want u to DO. "
He asked me what. I told him: " Have a very HAPPY New Year. "
He was thrilled n ecstatic, calling down Divine Blessings upon me.
The gift was successful.

Quote:

I do it because when I was little I learned a bible verse about the fact that Jesus might come knocking at our door or walking into our life at any time. He might be dressed as a king, he might be dressed as a beggar - you just don't know. So you have to treat everyone as if they could be Jesus, or a king.

I have taken an interest in the accounts of people
who have returned from death ( usually, in hospitals ).
This body of knowledge has been called " Near Death Experiences ".
I read in a book by Raymond Moody, Jr. M.D.
that such a fellow returned from death,
telling of a " life review " experience,
wherein he observed n re-experienced the events of his life,
including one in which he slugged someone in the mouth,
after a vehicular collision.

He indicated that he felt the pain in his victim 's mouth,
as well as a secondary " ripple effect " resulting from
the sadness of his young son who cud not get a bike
his birthday because his dad had depleted his financial resources
for emergency dental repairs.

I extrapolated from that,
reasoning that if we feel the pain that we inflict upon others,
then we shud feel the joy that we create in them,
during our life review experience.

It can be fun NOW, too.

Quote:

Funny how that's what stuck with me from my childhood, while the need for guns and ammo is what has stuck with you- or maybe it's not so funny.

*I've also worked very closely with homeless people. I've learned the ins and outs about homelessness up close, and I know these people (in the main) have had very few breaks in their lives, or a lot of bad breaks, starting from the beginning from when they had very little control over how it was handled.

My experience in begifting several of them, at different times,
( while in the act of garbage picking )
has been little interest on their part; no discernible happiness.

Quote:

And I know it could have gone that way for me too, it's not that I'm a better person necessarily, I just landed in a good situation from the beginning. A lot of these people haven't had that luxury.

I do think what goes around comes around, even right here on earth. But not in a way you can see tangibly or immediately all the time.
Luckily, I believe the same dynamic is true for happiness.

So yeah, I do believe what goes around comes around-we just might not see it, because we're so intent on looking at the outward trappings of either happiness or misery, but you can't compare your inside to someone elses outside and come away with any accurate conclusion about who's lucky or blessed.
Just take yourself as an example: I think you're really different inside than you portray yourself on the outside (as we all are) but you're outside portrayal, I think, is particularly misleading Laughing but hey, that's your business.

Have a lovely Sunday.

Thanx; I 'll give it a shot.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:01 am
Quote:
Thanx; I 'll give it a shot.

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 07:38 am
Laughing Laughing

(Give it a shot...Good one, David)

I believe what goes around comes around. I'm likely close to Aidens beliefs. I think the giving / good deed/ smile or whatever "goodness given" must be done without expectation that something will come back to you in return though.

I've often been amazed by those that come right out and say they did this or that good deed so they could get something back from it. They admit giving big bucks at church because they believe they'll become more prosperous. They don't even seem to hear what they are really saying.

I never feel the need for revenge. I know that somewhere down the line justice will be served. I don't have to worry about it or care whether or not they make the connection of titt for tat. Makes my life much more enjoyable.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 12:39 pm
squinney wrote:
Laughing Laughing

(Give it a shot...Good one, David)

Thank u, Squinney.

Quote:

I believe what goes around comes around.

I'm likely close to Aidens beliefs.
I think the giving / good deed/ smile or whatever "goodness given"
must be done without expectation that something will come back to you in return though.

U never know.
The Future will reveal itself

Arthur Bremmer, the man who shot George Wallace,
reducing him to a wheelchair for life,
said that he had earlier targeted President Nixon,
but that he was dissuaded by the SMILE of a waitress, at him.

Quote:

I've often been amazed by those that come right out and say they did this or that good deed
so they could get something back from it.

Well, if someone wants something,
he may set about taking the measures
that he considers necessary, or helpful, to bringing that about.

Quote:

They admit giving big bucks at church because they believe they'll become more prosperous.
They don't even seem to hear what they are really saying.

I seem to remember hearing or reading a quotation from the Bible
approximately that: if u r generous in church, good things will be poured out
to u thru the windows of Heaven; I 'm sorry that I can t quote it
with better precision ( nor cite its location ).

Quote:

I never feel the need for revenge.
I know that somewhere down the line justice will be served.
I don't have to worry about it or care whether or not they make the connection of titt for tat.
Makes my life much more enjoyable.

A story about revenge ( or the absence thereof ):

About 40 years ago, I met a fellow recently arrived from Florida.
I was impressed with his ability to argue. I liked that.
I accepted him as a tenant at my place,
and we became friends, based upon his ability to argue metaphysics,
in which we were both interested.

One night ( while neither of us were working )
I called out a comment to him, across the room, in his bed,
in accordance with our libertarian, free form practices of commentary.

I was abruptly surprized, in a bad way, when he said:
" Shut up and let me go to sleep. "
I felt a little rattled.
I silently considered the situation and judged it:
I knew that whatever I decided was going to happen to him,
WAS going to happen to him.
I felt as tho I held him ( in miniature ) in my hand,
deciding what to do about him, tho he knew nothing about it,
until some years later.

It seemed to me that there were 3 possibilities:
1. I cud evict him.
2. I cud wait until he presented me with a similar opportunity
to verbally stomp on him, as he had to me, only MORE and harder; or
3. I cud do nothing.

I decided that eviction was too severe for the offense;
( for that matter, I cud have taken a gun and shot him,
but I knew that insulting ME is not a capital offense ).

I considered the 2nd option, of verbal vengeance, IN KIND.

I KNEW that it wud become available,
but I opted for the third possibility, to wit:
in the exercise of my caprice,
just because I FELT LIKE IT, I wud allow the scales of justice
to remain out-of-balance; I decided to do nothing, on a whim.

Time passed and indeed,
he DID give me the chance for revenge in kind,
but I decided that I had judged him, and wud not expose him to double jeopardy.

A few months later, he moved out,
and a couple of years later we visited the Bronx Zoo, for a day.
I had previously mentioned to him that one Laurie,
a young lady with the face of an Angel, whom we both knew,
had rejected my social advances ( to go to dinner ).

HE had better luck with Laurie; ( I was much worse looking than him ).
He was dating her.
He told me, over lunch at the zoo,
that he n she were in bed and he awakened her,
for amorous purposes, to which she responded:
" Shut up and let me go to sleep " and the following morning
she denounced him for awakening her, inasmuch as she had to go to work,
and she accused him of being a rude and inconsiderate guest.
He told me that he was " crushed ".

I reminded him of a night when I had called out to him,
across the room, and he said " .... "
and unbeknownst to him, I judged him,
as tho I had held him in the palm of my hand.
He accused me of cursing him, but I did not.
Altho my powers of articulation were superior to his,
and altho I cud have verbally stomped on him harder than he did to me,
I cud never have inflicted the emotional injuries
to which Laurie subjected him.

In retrospect,
I remembered a quotation from the Bible:
" revenge is mine " sayeth the Lord,
and I remembered another quotation from ancient Greece:
" The wheel of the gods grinds slowly,
but it grinds exceeding fine " ( i.e., fine particles ).

I 've had that sort of thing happen A FEW TIMES,
in my experience.
I simply do NOTHING, by way of revenge,
and its almost as if an Unseen Hand of the Universe
parades the offender ignomineously in front of me,
with poetic justice having been visited upon him.

I feel surprized whenever it happens.

Cute pooch, btw, Squinney; what 's his name ?

David
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
There is no such thing as "luck". What is referred to as luck has little to do with chance... that might be more aligned with coincidence.

Expecting something in return for doing good is the selfish way to look at things. Doing something that is done with one's heart without expectation will likely reap greater rewards than what one would otherwise expect.

If doing good should bring you bad....do more good and take the bad in stride.

After 3½ years of being unemployed, I acquired work on Friday. I continued to help where I could during this period, but I do not believe that what I did helped me to gain some employment. It did contribute to my feeling good and worthwhile. We should always look at the glass as being half full as opposed to being half empty.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 01:29 pm
Congratulations on your job Intrepid.
0 Replies