Man convicted of child abuse exiled to Canada.

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:14 am
Not much hardship in that sentence. The US will save a lot of money; convicts cost a bundle these days.
Man convicted of child abuse exiled to Canada.
Given a choice between jail and exile to Canada, an American man chose Fort Erie, Ont. after being convicted for having sex with a 15-year-old girl.
Starting Monday, Malcolm Watson will stay out of the U.S. for three years as punishment for having a sexual relationship with the Buffalo, N.Y. student.
The sexual abuse sentence handed down by a New York State court only allows Watson to re-enter the U.S. to report to his probation officer.
Watson, 35, lives in Fort Erie with his Canadian wife and three children.
The former seminary teacher was arrested in April after a mall security guard noticed Watson and the girl sitting in a parked car for two hours.
District Attorney Frank Clark called the sentence "a little dicey."
Immigration lawyers in the U.S. are questioning whether the court has the authority to banish a citizen, The Associated Press reported.
Watson's defence lawyer Oscar Smukler was reportedly surprised by the unusual sentence. He is concerned that his client's new criminal record could prompt Canadian authorities to deny Watson entry.
"We did some research on the question of whether Canada might consider throwing (Watson) out, which would make him a man without a country," Smukler told AP.
Watson did have a choice of sentence. His alternative was to spend a year in jail.

story
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,193 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:46 am
Many Canadian citizens are not very happy with this situation. The Canadian government is looking at it as well.

Most feel that he is an American citizen; he committed his crime in the U.S.; he was tried in the U.S.; his punishment should be in the U.S.

Canadian law states that a U.S. criminal can, and probably will, be denied entry into Canada. Also, the Canadian definition of a minor is 14 years of age while that in N.Y. state is 17.

We will see how this plays out.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:51 am
Re: Man convicted of child abuse exiled to Canada.
detano inipo wrote:
Immigration lawyers in the U.S. are questioning whether the court has the authority to banish a citizen, The Associated Press reported.

I'd have the same question myself. While the court didn't strip him of citzenship it appears that it's come about as close as possible without doing so.

It's a stupid sentence IMO. Lock the bastid up. Why pawn him off on Canada?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:48 pm
fishin wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

I'd have the same question myself. While the court didn't strip him of citzenship it appears that it's come about as close as possible without doing so.

Might as well use it for SOMETHING.
Y not flush ALL of our criminals there ?
David
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 06:52 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
fishin wrote:
detano inipo wrote:

Might as well use it for SOMETHING.
Y not flush ALL of our criminals there ?
David

Rolling Eyes Is that any way for a MENSA constitutional lawyer to talk? At least you didn't suggest shooting him.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:03 pm
The problem with dumping
our criminals there is that it is too CLOSE.
We don 't want them sneaking back in.

If only it were further away...

I have long advocated banishing criminals
behind 1000s of miles of water.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
I don't understand that sentence at all. I'd be outraged if I were a canadian.
I haven't looked into the crime. Sort of afraid to. Was the fellow not a figure in the US government or a religion?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:11 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I haven't looked into the crime. Sort of afraid to. Was the fellow not a figure in the US government or a religion?

He was a teacher who had sex with a 15 year old student.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
ossobuco wrote:

For several decades,
I have been advocating banishing violent criminals
behind 1000s of miles of water,
instead of letting them back into polite society ( to recidivate ).

The problem with Canadia is that its too CLOSE.

If only we cud move it further away...
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:19 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

For several decades,
I have been advocating banishing violent criminals
behind 1000s of miles of water,
instead of letting them back into polite society ( to recidivate ).

The problem with Canadia is that its too CLOSE.

If only we cud move it further away...

Is this man what you would consider a violent criminal? Do you not think that a country should be responsible enough to look after it's own problems?

Are you afraid of Canada? Is that why you consider it too close? Your paranoia is going beyond your gun fetish.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:20 pm
Hey Davie, we agree! We'd often like to see you far, far away too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:25 pm
I don't get how we (US) can banish anyone. Well, that is only the first matter that sounds wrong.

I'm not for teachers messing with students, at least at 15, but.. throwing out of the country? imposing on another country? Tell me it's a joke.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 07:29 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't get how we (US) can banish anyone. Well, that is only the first matter that sounds wrong.

I'm not for teachers messing with students, at least at 15, but.. throwing out of the country? imposing on another country? Tell me it's a joke.

He is an American citizen married to a Canadian woman who lives in Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada. This is the link. The judgement is flawed, but that seems to be the judge's reasoning for the ruling. He is only allowed back into the U.S. to see his parole officer.

If he is on parole, how could he be sent to Canada? I don't think we have heard the last of this.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 09:42 pm
I wud have thought that being banished to Canadia
is unconstitutional, as being cruel and unusual punishment,
but, by consenting, I guess the fellow waived his rights.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 09:48 pm
I wud have thought that you being a constitutional lawyer would provide more than just a thought on the matter.

BTW, if you were honest and not just trying to be a jerk, you would not be able to come up with any viable reasons for your attack on your neighbour to the north.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm
ossobuco wrote:

Osso, Sexpot is an American married to a Canadian woman with a Canadian child. They all live just across the Cdn border and he was teaching at this school in Buffalo, from what I recall from the news.

He was NOT banished to Canada as others here have said. He received 3 yrs probation and he asked if he could serve it with his family. The judge said, Yes, if they'll take you. That is not a certainty yet. Immigration still has not spoken on this issue.

Hope that clarifies things. Laughing Nobody has the right to banish anyone to another country unless they hold citizenship there, and Sexpot doesn't... he's clearly an American.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 12:45 pm
Thanks, Mame.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 01:11 pm
Mame wrote:
ossobuco wrote:

Osso, Sexpot is an American married to a Canadian woman with a Canadian child. They all live just across the Cdn border and he was teaching at this school in Buffalo, from what I recall from the news.

He was NOT banished to Canada as others here have said. He received 3 yrs probation and he asked if he could serve it with his family. The judge said, Yes, if they'll take you. That is not a certainty yet. Immigration still has not spoken on this issue.

Hope that clarifies things. Laughing Nobody has the right to banish anyone to another country unless they hold citizenship there, and Sexpot doesn't... he's clearly an American.

Just one thing that you left out, Mame. If he did not take the deal to remain in Canada....he would have been sentenced to one year in jail in the U.S. I think that this is a major distinction.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 02:57 pm
This Watson character is a choirboy compared to the Vancouver playboy who slept with several teens.
story
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 03:03 pm
When Canada stops dumping their garbage in Michigan, we'll stop sending our criminals there.

Ok, that was a cheap shot. [size=7]Since our goddammed govt keeps allowing it and getting money for it[/size]

I think that he's a US problem and should be dealt with here. And I think Canada should stop sending it's garbage here. [size=7][/size]
0 Replies