Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:14 pm
Link to Veggie Study article

Part of the article in this clip -

Study: Veggies could stem mental decline

By Ronald Kotulak
Tribune science reporter
Published October 23, 2006, 3:00 PM CDT

Eating two or more servings of vegetables a day may slow a person's mental decline by about 40 percent compared with a person who consumes few vegetables, according to a six-year study of nearly 4,000 Chicago residents age 65 or older.

Consuming lots of fruit did not appear to offer the same mental protection, although fruit has been associated with a wide variety of other health benefits, said Martha Clare Morris, chief of Rush University Medical Center's Rush Center for Healthy Aging.

The slowdown in the rate of cognitive decline experienced by people who ate 2.8 or more servings of vegetables a day is "equivalent to about five years of younger age" compared with people who ate less than one vegetable per day, Morris reports in Tuesday's issue of Neurology, the scientific journal of the American Academy of Neurology.

The study also suggested it may never be too late to reap the benefits of vegetable consumption. Older people who started eating more than two vegetables a day still showed a significant delay in mental decline, Morris said. One serving of a vegetable is generally equal to a cup.

The new findings come on top of two earlier Rush studies indicating that the foods people eat may significantly affect their mental agility. Morris reported four years ago that eating foods high in vitamin E appeared to reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease, and last year she found that eating fish had a similar effect.

Vegetables, especially those in the green leafy category, are brimming with antioxidant compounds like vitamin E, flavonoids and carotenoids, Morris said, and vegetables contain more vitamin E than fruit does.

Eating vegetables with olive oil, vegetable oil or some other type of poly- or mono-unsaturated fats enhances the body's absorption of antioxidants, which help snuff out cell-damaging free radicals, she added.

"This study is tremendously important," said Alberto Ascherio, associate professor of nutrition and epidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health, who found similar results over a two-year period in the Nurses Health Study of more than 120,000 nurses. "It's not easy to capture the correlation between dietary behavior and cognitive function."

"This goes in line with previous evidence supporting the potential protective effect of vegetable consumption," he said. "Each of these studies is like a small step forward. In this field we don't have the critical experiment to answer the question once and for all. We have to get to the truth by small steps. It's a long process to try to understand what we can do to reduce cognitive decline."

In trying to figure out which specific food groups bestow important health benefits, epidemiologists match people as closely as possible so other factors in their lifestyles cancel out.

"When we controlled for all of those healthy lifestyle variables--physical exercise, age, sex, race, education, cognitive activity, participation--the effects of vegetables on cognition actually became stronger," Morris said.

Matt Kaeberlein, who conducts research on the biochemical processes of aging at the University of Washington, said he was surprised the study didn't show any beneficial effect of eating fruit on cognitive decline.

Studies in animals, he said, show that berries--particularly blueberries, strawberries and cranberries--seem to protect memory in aging animals. And a diet high in fruits and vegetables has been linked to protection against heart disease, cancer, stroke, diverticulosis, diabetes and obesity.

Morris agreed that animal research indicates that berries may help preserve memory but that too few people in the study consumed berries regularly to determine if they helped preserve memory and other cognitive functions.

"The link between better cognition and vegetables is interesting and certainly real," Kaeberlein said. "But I wouldn't change my diet to stop eating fruits based on this study. There's plenty of evidence that for overall health you're going to be better off eating a diet that's high in both fruits and vegetables."

end/clip
There's a lot more to the article, see link above.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,408 • Replies: 18
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:41 pm
Wow! I could have a V- . . . what was that number?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:42 pm
9?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:16 pm
Okay, swell. Fine and dandy. Just remember, french fries are vegetables, too.

Well, they're neither animal nor mineral, right?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:28 pm
Potatoes are probably my favorite veggie. But.... I've gotten to like others... especially lately, since I've gone wacko over roasted veggies - and I alreadly liked stir fried veggies, and not over cooked steamed or sauteed veggies.

I started out liking only potatoes and canned green peas. I was particularly keen on canned potatoes. <hard to remember, but I liked them with Vienna Sausages>
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 08:14 pm
I try to get a good variety of veggies daily, mostly just steamed enough to make them easier to eat.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:15 pm
My fussy son at least prefers salad to cooked veggies although he does like asparagus and artichokes. Yum.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:40 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I started out liking only potatoes and canned green peas. I was particularly keen on canned potatoes. <hard>

My first reaction was: Oh.....My.....God!

Then I did a doubletake on who wrote this. Our very own epicure, ossobuco! You've come a long way baby. :wink:

(But you solved one mystery for me: Who ate all those dusty tins of Vienna sausages that I've seen in every run-down third-world emporium the world over ....)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 02:42 pm
I was quite keen on them when I was about eleven... 'specially fried (fried!) with canned small white potatoes...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 02:09 pm
In Michigan, the canned white potatoes were called Irish potatoes. Was that true for you?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 02:37 pm
I think so... now that you mention it.

That was when we lived just north of Chicago.. and that wasn't all that far from Michigan. Can't remember if it said that on the can though.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:32 pm
When I was kid (born in 1947), all vegetables were canned. Frozen veggies came in when I was around 8 or 9 -- at least for our family they did -- and I had a hard time accepting bright green peas.

I would say the only fresh veggies we had were radishes and tomatoes, which my family grew in the garden. We would buy corn on the cob from farm stands in the summer and cabbage for cole slaw and stuffed cabbage. All veggies were canned but served with real butter because my father couldn't stand margarine.

When the salad dressing companies started their big pushes around the time I was 10, we began eating salads. When a neighbor brought over some squash about the same year, we began eating squash.

I served my parents their first edible broccoli when I was about 24 and invited them to come to dinner at my apt and to go next door to see a student production of Agatha Christie's The Mouse Trap at the Wayne State University theatre.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 02:39 pm
I remember a lot of excitement about frozen food...
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:17 pm
At the present time, I never eat iceberg lettuce (undigestable); love asparagus, which I hated then because it was canned; love spinach either raw or creamed, but hated it then; love Swiss chard to the point of addiction. The only canned veggies I eat are beets and corn (hate it frozen) and olives. Eat peas and some beans frozen (Trader joes french green beans and regular "krisked" beans or Italian beans). Every thing else is fresh.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 08:09 am
ossobuco wrote:
Potatoes are probably my favorite veggie. But.... I've gotten to like others... especially lately, since I've gone wacko over roasted veggies - and I alreadly liked stir fried veggies, and not over cooked steamed or sauteed veggies.

I started out liking only potatoes and canned green peas. I was particularly keen on canned potatoes. <hard>

Say it ain't so! Now look, I love potatoes...I love them fresh from the ground and barely washed. I love them raw, I love them baked, I love them fried (in slices, sticks, and even in strings). Heck I even love them boiled and broiled or soaked in oil and cooked 3 days in aluminum foil...I needed something to rhyme with boiled... I love them mashed and mixed for hash and riced and diced and suitably spiced; but, canned? I need more information on your tater recipes for canned potatoes. I am not fond of their straight out of the can flavor but can dress them up if need be. The best I have found is placing them in a potato salad with eggs and onions. I even like those flakes where you just add milk and cook them up.

Canned? Yipes! Pardon me for a moment while I go to the cupboard to extract a can of potatoes for nourishment as I browse the internet.

(I only opened this vegetable thread after being redirected from a Religious and political influence thread. Come to think of it, potatoes are something of a religious experience...my father used to cook them up on Sunday after church.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 Oct, 2006 01:11 pm
Oh, Sturgis, my love of canned potatoes has long dissipated.... that was fifty years ago. I haven't any recipes for them...

Enjoyed your list of potato treats...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
@ossobuco,
Think I'll bump this old news forward, if only to remind myself to keep my vegetable quotient up there.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 04:57 pm
@ossobuco,
And I still miss Stugis, a lot.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Sturgis was okay.
0 Replies