What does Negative Campaign Ads accomplish/appropriate?

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 09:24 am
Living in Mass, recently we have been inundated with negative ads for the governor race. My husband pointed out that he thought they were beneficial for those people who do not watch the debates. It points out issues with the opposing candidates. However, I notice that many of these ads are not necessarily addressing flaws in a candidate's issues/viewpoint/past history, but scare tactics/misleading at best and at worst out and out lies.

How is this different than apply for a job or promotion? On a job interview - you discuss your virtues and qualifications - it is unacceptable to point out negative flaws of your competition. Isn't running for office a type of job interview? The public is hiring you?

Personally negative campaign ads tend to turn me off from voting for a candidate - even if they are the most qualified. I have also found that many people intensely dislike them. Are they really effective? Do they influence your vote? And where do they "cross the line" from being informative to destructive?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,845 • Replies: 35
No top replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:05 am
It boggles the mind that negative adds and indeed any of the 30 second spots work their magic. However, they apparently do or the politicians would not spend millions to air them.
That they do only reflects on the intelligence and political ignorance of much of the electorate.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:14 am
au1929 wrote:
It boggles the mind that negative adds and indeed any of the 30 second spots work their magic. However, they apparently do or the politicians would not spend millions to air them.
That they do only reflects on the intelligence and political ignorance of much of the electorate.

You are (sadly) probably right. I was hoping perhaps the politician were unaware how ineffective negative campaign ads are - but it seems these ads, like you said even any sort of ad, have an effect. Can you imagine deciding your vote or hiring some one after only seeing a glimpse of their qualifications via a short ad. Certainly would make the interviewing process much shorter for me.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:29 pm
My father always said... "no one ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm
I think that whole thing about how stupid people are to fall for this stuff is a bunch of crap. Everyone is affected by what they hear, see, and feel, whether it's negative or not.

It's not about intelligence. It's about human nature.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:40 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
My father always said... "no one ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

Great quote - I may have to use it in my quote line - with your approval of course.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:51 pm
Quote:

I think that whole thing about how stupid people are to fall for this stuff is a bunch of crap. Everyone is affected by what they hear, see, and feel, whether it's negative or not

Not if they were informed and could separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reading the headlines and sports pages just won't do it.

Getting information and making a decision based on a 30 second spot is the same as never getting passed the glaring headlines.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 01:08 pm
au1929 wrote:
Quote:

I think that whole thing about how stupid people are to fall for this stuff is a bunch of crap. Everyone is affected by what they hear, see, and feel, whether it's negative or not

Not if they were informed and could separate the wheat from the chaff.

Reading the headlines and sports pages just won't do it.

Getting information and making a decision based on a 30 second spot is the same as never getting passed the glaring headlines.

I disagree. I think what you are talking about is a good way to separate lies from truth. But that falsely assumes that a negative ad is untrue just because it is negative.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 02:13 pm
Negative campaigning does nothing but make the author of the slams look childish, bitchy and totally irresponsible.

Negative campaigns have nothing to do with issues.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
plainoldme wrote:
Negative campaigning does nothing but make the author of the slams look childish, bitchy and totally irresponsible.

Respectfully disagree, Plainoldme... I have seen some really effective negative ads here where a politician's stand on various issues were highlighted, and other politician's flip-flops were quoted.

Not all negative ads are bad. I would love to know how a politician voted on various issues, esp if they are flip-flopping!

And they can be done informatively as opposed to slamming, don't you think? When they are, they are great.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 03:36 pm
Re: What does Negative Campaign Ads accomplish/appropriate?
Linkat wrote:
How is this different than apply for a job or promotion? On a job interview - you discuss your virtues and qualifications - it is unacceptable to point out negative flaws of your competition. Isn't running for office a type of job interview? The public is hiring you?

I disagree with your analogy. If I'm looking to hire someone I can ask them to come in and be interviewed one-on-one with any of several people. I can also have the HR folks, who presumably hold the same biases I have toward the candidate (i.e. are they a good fit for the job/company?), look into their history and verify that what is on the resume is true. When was the last time any political candidate made themselves available to each and every voter in their district for one-on-one interviews? Who is your biased resource for assistance in making your political choice? If you called the 4 current candidates for Gov. in MA and asked them to come to your house for 2 hours each so you could ask them questions do you think any of them would show up? (Maybe Grace Ross... she doesn't seem to be in much demand.)

A closer analogy might be in hiring a general contractor to add an addition to your house or redo your kitchen. You have limited access to what you can find out about them and they have public reputations that can sway you. But when they come to your house to give you an estimate there is nothing that prevents them from pointing out that the last guy you got an estimate from isn't licensed, doesn't have insurance, does crappy work, etc.. If the 1st contractor told you they had a license and then the 2nd told you that the 1st didn't and because of that you checked into it and found out it was true, you'd probably be thanking them.

I'll freely admit that some of the negative ads are just crap. No argument there. At the same time some of the ads and claims the candidates make for themselves are crap too and the negative ads from their opponents are the only source of rebuttal. It's when those negative ads show up that the press actually starts to look into the claims by both sides and sort things out.
0 Replies

rabel22

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:25 am
Where I live the television stations run the 30 sec. ads and let the viewers sort out the lies from the truth. Sadly most of the electorate don't look into the voting records of most of the candidates nor do they read the papers or use their computers to check the records. They are too busy watching the games on T.V.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:45 am
Mame wrote:
plainoldme wrote:

Respectfully disagree, Plainoldme... I have seen some really effective negative ads here where a politician's stand on various issues were highlighted, and other politician's flip-flops were quoted.

Not all negative ads are bad. I would love to know how a politician voted on various issues, esp if they are flip-flopping!

And they can be done informatively as opposed to slamming, don't you think? When they are, they are great.

I agree if it is used to be informed - most however are slamming and tend to hide the truth. I rather respect those ads that state I stand for A,B,C - my opponent for D,E,F (if these are all true) for example I am Pro-Choice, my opponent is Pro-Life (using the terminology that doesn't slam the other like baby killer).
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:49 am
fishin wrote:

If I'm looking to hire someone I can ask them to come in and be interviewed one-on-one with any of several people. I can also have the HR folks, who presumably hold the same biases I have toward the candidate (i.e. are they a good fit for the job/company?), look into their history and verify that what is on the resume is true. When was the last time any political candidate made themselves available to each and every voter in their district for one-on-one interviews?

Well this would be impossible, but I have been invited to see candidates speak, social type gatherings, etc. where I can ask questions. One can also call campaign headquarters and ask questions - believe me I receive phone calls daily from candidates and/or representatives from their campaign so it is possible if I wanted to.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:51 am
Who is your biased resource for assistance in making your political choice?

The other 6 million or so voters in Massachusetts.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:53 am
rabel22 wrote:
Where I live the television stations run the 30 sec. ads and let the viewers sort out the lies from the truth. Sadly most of the electorate don't look into the voting records of most of the candidates nor do they read the papers or use their computers to check the records. They are too busy watching the games on T.V.

Precisely why this sort of negative campaigning is misleading - what average voter actually checks to see if the facts are true.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:56 am
Linkat- If a person really wants to take the time, this site can be mighty helpful.

Quote:
We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.

The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.

http://www.factcheck.org/
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:30 pm
Linkat wrote:
fishin wrote:

If I'm looking to hire someone I can ask them to come in and be interviewed one-on-one with any of several people. I can also have the HR folks, who presumably hold the same biases I have toward the candidate (i.e. are they a good fit for the job/company?), look into their history and verify that what is on the resume is true. When was the last time any political candidate made themselves available to each and every voter in their district for one-on-one interviews?

Well this would be impossible, but I have been invited to see candidates speak, social type gatherings, etc. where I can ask questions. One can also call campaign headquarters and ask questions - believe me I receive phone calls daily from candidates and/or representatives from their campaign so it is possible if I wanted to.

I've been invited to a few of those too (usually for local candidates) but even then, you only get an hour or two with the candidate and there are 30 or more people all asking questions. Sometimes the questions I have get short shrift.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 12:34 pm
Linkat wrote:
Who is your biased resource for assistance in making your political choice?

The other 6 million or so voters in Massachusetts.

You are a very trusting soul then. I have zero confidence that the voters of this state all share my concerns/issues. They may all be biased but they don't hold the same biases I hold.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:30 pm
Negative ads can also show you the depths of depravity of some individuals Laughing
0 Replies