What does Negative Campaign Ads accomplish/appropriate?

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:31 pm
They also make for an interesting campaign Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 01:58 pm
Mame wrote:

Not all negative ads are bad. I would love to know how a politician voted on various issues, esp if they are flip-flopping!

And they can be done informatively as opposed to slamming, don't you think? When they are, they are great.

There are ways that diligent voters can discover how candidates voted without the distortion -- and it is always distortion -- of negative ads.

As for flip-flopping, I just don't believe there is such a thing. Either the person changes or else responds to the most vocal section of his/her constituency and then responds to the other side's complaints after the fact.

There is nothing informative about those ads because they are always slanted.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:08 pm
Oh, okay then. Thanks for setting me straight.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:24 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
My father always said... "no one ever lost an election by underestimating the intelligence of the American people."

He was quoting H. L. Mencken, right?

Very Happy
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 02:57 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Linkat- If a person really wants to take the time, this site can be mighty helpful.

Quote:
We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit, "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews, and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding.

The Annenberg Political Fact Check is a project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania. The APPC was established by publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in 1994 to create a community of scholars within the University of Pennsylvania that would address public policy issues at the local, state, and federal levels.

The APPC accepts NO funding from business corporations, labor unions, political parties, lobbying organizations or individuals. It is funded primarily by the Annenberg Foundation.

http://www.factcheck.org/

Nice - thanks
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:00 pm
fishin wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Who is your biased resource for assistance in making your political choice?

The other 6 million or so voters in Massachusetts.

You are a very trusting soul then. I have zero confidence that the voters of this state all share my concerns/issues. They may all be biased but they don't hold the same biases I hold.

Nah I don't trust them - but it min biases as we all have our own - I guess that is what I mean. And obviously this isn't exactly the same as a job interview, however, is it right that we can bad stab your competition and lie about it and it is almost considered o-k for one sort of job and not another?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 03:27 pm
Linkat wrote:
Nah I don't trust them - but it min biases as we all have our own - I guess that is what I mean.

I don't want my biases minimized! Razz I mean, really, does anyone? Isn't the entire objective to vote for a candidate that most closely reflects your views on the issues?

Quote:
And obviously this isn't exactly the same as a job interview, however, is it right that we can bad stab your competition and lie about it and it is almost considered o-k for one sort of job and not another?

I suppose I'd rather see only "clean" ads but I don't think that'll ever happen. My guess is that if you surveyed the supporters of various candidates most fo them would point to the opponents ads as the dirty ads. People tend to overlook the lies and dirty ads of their candidate.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 04:09 pm
Quality of the GOP candidate running for the US senate. He would probably fit right in with the rest of the clowns.

Ben Smith Exclusive: Hillary Clinton's GOP challenger is getting personal and it's not pretty: He says the senator used to be ugly - and speculates she got "millions of dollars" in plastic surgery. "You ever see a picture of her back then? Whew," said John Spencer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
fishin wrote:

I suppose I'd rather see only "clean" ads but I don't think that'll ever happen. My guess is that if you surveyed the supporters of various candidates most fo them would point to the opponents ads as the dirty ads. People tend to overlook the lies and dirty ads of their candidate.

That is why I rarely have anyone that I consider "my" candidate - typically it is the lesser of two evils.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2006 01:04 pm
Campaign workers for Kerry Healey, Republican candidate for governor, showed up at the homes of Deval Patrick and his manager, dressed in prison garb, chanting about letting rapists on the street. The 12 y/o son of the manager called his parents -- who had left for work leaving him to wait for his school bus -- who returned and called the police on the way. The workers left before the police arrived.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:15 am
plainoldme wrote:
Campaign workers for Kerry Healey, Republican candidate for governor, showed up at the homes of Deval Patrick and his manager, dressed in prison garb, chanting about letting rapists on the street. The 12 y/o son of the manager called his parents -- who had left for work leaving him to wait for his school bus -- who returned and called the police on the way. The workers left before the police arrived.

Is that for real? I am not a Deval fan, but that is definately too far. I think Healey's negative ads especially the one about being raped has really turned me off for good on her.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 25 Oct, 2006 11:21 am
Funny thing is Healey fits my image of a candidate - like me she is socially moderate, fiscally conservative - I would imagine she is also smart under normal circumstances. It is just difficult for me to get around how horrible her negative ads are.

According to one article Healey is falling because of these ads.."
Democrat Deval Patrick has a commanding 27-point lead in the governor's race as independent voters abandon Republican Kerry Healey because of her negative attacks, according to a new poll released today by 7NEWS and Suffolk University.

Patrick had the support of 53 percent to Healey's 26 percent in the survey of 400 likely voters taken Oct. 20 through Oct. 23.

"The tone of the campaign has moved independents away from Healey," said David Paleologos, Director of the Suffolk University Political Research Center. "The tone changed from constructive criticism to negative and really turned off independent voters."

Sixty-one percent of those surveyed said they were unlikely to vote for Healey because of the "tone" of the campaign. Healey has particularly criticized Patrick's record on crime. "
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 02:19 pm
I had no opinion of Kerry Healey. I do hate the clothes she wears -- which must be Condi Rice's hand-me-downs -- which, as a teacher, I would get sent home for wearing. I hate when women wear suits without blouses . . . seems sleazy and dirty to me.

However, since the Republicans have been ruining education for so long, HEaley's ads stating that her mother was a public school teacher and that she went to public schools turned me off. If public schools are so bad, why are the Repubs touting them?

Frankly, socially moderate is not good enough for me. No change comes through moderation and we have been backsliding as a society.

Healey is a cold as Romney and, by now, she makes me gag.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 03:19 pm
plainoldme wrote:
HEaley's ads stating that her mother was a public school teacher and that she went to public schools turned me off. If public schools are so bad, why are the Repubs touting them?

Frankly, socially moderate is not good enough for me. No change comes through moderation and we have been backsliding as a society.

Healey is a cold as Romney and, by now, she makes me gag.

Odd about the public school issue - as none of the candidates including from the primary had their children attend public schools except Tom Riley. I don't have confidence in either the Democratic or Republican candidates as far as public schools as neither of them send their children to public schools.

Socially moderate I consider some one who may be conservative, but respects other people's values and therefore does not push their conservative viewpoints on them (or visa versa). For instance I may not believe in abortion for myself, but since this is a moral decision, I cannot enforce this belief on others and so support the right to choose.

As far as backsliding in society - many social conservatives believe the same thing as in regard in liberal points of view. A socially moderate person will see both sides while either a liberal or conservative becomes so blinded in their viewpoint, frequently cannot respect the others stance.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 03:07 pm
Intereting interpretation of pushing things and analysis of social moderation.

I always wanted public schools to be better and have taught at two different stages of my life but I felt much more comfortable when my children were in private schools and I think my youngest would have been happier in private school, Montessori to be exact. He was diagnosed as bi-polar and I think Montessori would have given him some mechanisms to help him conquor his depression without drugs.

That said, I don't necessarily think putting your children in private school is the crux of the matter but it might matter what sort of private school they're in. I understand that Bruce Springsteen's daughter (in private school) is unbearable.

Also, the move to private school probably saved my daughter's sanity.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:59 pm
Anyone encounter the guy running against Ted Kennedy? His name is something like Ken Chase and he doesn't have both oars in the water.
0 Replies