Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:57 pm
Lash wrote:
<crickets chirping>

Laughing
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:01 pm
Lash wrote:
I think crickets chirping are QUITE premature. I did need time to type.

I am quite glad to explain what you should be able to understand without further explanation:

Who is the ad aimed at?

Why did they choose the "lingo" and subject matter? Analyze it critically.

It was created to APPEAL to a demographic they want to ATTRACT.

Why are these words and images used attractive and appealing to a large swath of the demographic targeted?

As I said before....the main problem is not the ad---the main problem is that the ad was constructed as it is because of a serious problem within black US culture.

The ad is fake. The problem is REAL.

Don't you think so? Should crickets chirp already, or should I give you a few more minutes than you gave me to get your answer onscreen?

That is a very well written and profound post. Nicely done Lash.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:01 pm
Thank you very much, McG. Very Happy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:17 pm
So, there exists a problem in the black community, and Republicans take steps to exploit that problem... and that's not a problem with you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:18 pm
If Republicans did it, sure.

One guy does not Republicans make.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:21 pm
Does it matter that other Republicans refuse to criticize him for doing it?

Yaknow, silence-assent and all that

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:31 pm
We all seem to have the same playbook.

Seems that if you were to line up all the bullshit from both sides, the GOP is harder on our scallywags.

I think this issue is a non-starter. If misogyny didn't permeate the hip-hop culture like it does, I think you may have had some conservatives criticising the content of the ad. If it had been a more empty, seemingly racially motivated insult aimed at blacks.

Racial stuff is so sticky. In criticising the ad, some hapless conservative would probably have wound up getting attacked for criticising black popular culture or some such. Probably was best to ignore this one. Eh. Just a different theory...... Who knows... Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
Is snood hiding in your basement or something?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:40 pm
Not unless he made a hell of a commute this morning.

I think exploiting problems in other cultures for political gain is usually a big no-no. I say 'other cultures' because the black representation amongst the GOP is right at 0% at the moment.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:41 pm
Even though the statement could accurately be made that the biggest consumers and therefore promoters of "gangsta rap" are white teenagers, to make that statement would be to participate in the derailing of the original thrust of this thread.

The slimy tactics of the republicans in the race-baiting area are well known, and this thread just pointed out one of the latest.

And no, Lash, I'm not in anyone's basement. Are you in someone's toilet?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:44 pm
Let me play nicely with you, cyclop.
"I think exploiting problems in other cultures for political gain is usually a big no-no."

I agree.

"I say 'other cultures' because the black representation amongst the GOP is right at 0% at the moment."

0%-- or the usual 5% or so-- is quite dismal and I am very unhappy about it.

If the GOP had agreed to this, there would be NO justification, imo. They really suck with the homies.
Confused
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:49 pm
Fair enough.

I say 0% because, AFAIK, there are exactly zero black Republicans in congress at the moment.

There may be one or two that I missed... but I doubt it

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:51 pm
I wouldn't argue the point.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:04 pm
snood wrote:
Even though the statement could accurately be made that the biggest consumers and therefore promoters of "gangsta rap" are white teenagers, to make that statement would be to participate in the derailing of the original thrust of this thread.

I suppose if you need to deflect the obvious statement about why the ad was designed the way it was, you could try to make it a racial issue and attempt to blame white teenagers.... However, you asked why I introduced the statement and I told you. It mirrors the type of misogynistic dialogue that is so popular within the demographic the ad sought to attract.
The slimy tactics of the republicans in the race-baiting area are well known, and this thread just pointed out one of the latest.
Democrats race-bait, as well.

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:08 pm
Lash wrote:
snood wrote:

I suppose if you need to deflect the obvious statement about why the ad was designed the way it was, you could try to make it a racial issue and attempt to blame white teenagers.... However, you asked why I introduced the statement and I told you. It mirrors the type of misogynistic dialogue that is so popular within the demographic the ad sought to attract.
Democrats race-bait, as well.

The ad was lowdown. That was the point. Bringing up rappers was the deflection. It was a complete detour, as if the fact that the problem exists somehow should mitigate against criticism of the tactic.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:09 pm
The ad was by ONE guy. Not Republicans.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:15 pm
The ad was lowdown, racist, and not condemned by Republicans. Ken Melman even tried to deny knowledge of it right up to the point that such a claim became ridiculous.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:16 pm
Besides, this isn't "one guy"...

This ad was financed by J. Patrick Rooney, a white billionaire notorious for funding several misleading anti-Kerry ads that ran on urban radio stations in 2004. The money for Rooney's newest ad flowed through a little-known group called America's PAC, which was founded by Richard Nadler, a veteran Republican consultant who pushed Intelligent Design in Kansas public schools, declaring, "Darwin is bunk."
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:36 pm
Sort of funny. You... complaining of racism. You don't mind racism as long as the victim is somebody you don't like.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:43 pm
THE VILE BILE WE HAVE TO PUT UP WITH
By Michelle Malkin ยท November 02, 2005 11:02 AM
Straight from the headlines, here's exactly the kind of unhinged liberal hatred and bigotry against minority Republicans I talk about in my book-- via the Washington Times today:

Black Democratic leaders in Maryland say that racially tinged attacks against Lt. Gov. Michael S. Steele in his bid for the U.S. Senate are fair because he is a conservative Republican.
Such attacks against the first black man to win a statewide election in Maryland include pelting him with Oreo cookies during a campaign appearance, calling him an "Uncle Tom" and depicting him as a black-faced minstrel on a liberal Web log.

Operatives for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee (DSCC) also obtained a copy of his credit report -- the only Republican candidate so targeted.

But black Democrats say there is nothing wrong with "pointing out the obvious."

This is how low the Left's political discourse has sunk:
(Words accompany picture of Micheal Steele in blackface.)
"I'm a banana and a coconut and a whore and worse. Michael Steele is an Uncle Tom and a Sambo. Here's the despicable photo that left-wing bigot blogger Steve Gilliard (proving that blacks can be vicious racists, too) published and only removed after conservative bloggers blew the whistle"

So, defacing Steele's photo and assaulting him with Oreo cookies are peaceful exercises of free speech. Demonizing Condi is a harmless prank. Calling her a "House Nigga" is acceptable humor.

No minority who embraces liberal ideas is ever attacked for being a "race traitor" or a "sellout." These ad hominem attacks are leveled only by the Left, and only against minority conservatives. For the unhinged Left, race-baiting has become an expedient substitute for substantive argument.

Ain't tolerance grand?

0 Replies