Republican Ad Calls Black Women "Ho's"

Zippo

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 08:58 am
Republican Ad Calls Black Women "Ho's"

No one can criticize the GOP for failing to produce sophisticated propaganda that successfully exploits the hopes and fears of white middle Americans. But can the right-wing distraction factory woo minorities with the same techniques? Check out the following transcript of a new Republican ad targeting black voters in 10 battleground states this year and you be the judge:

BLACK MAN #1: "If you make a little mistake with one of your 'hos,' you'll want to dispose of that problem tout suite, no questions asked."

BLACK MAN #2: "That's too cold. I don't snuff my own seed."

BLACK MAN #1: "Maybe you do have a reason to vote Republican."

This ad was financed by J. Patrick Rooney, a white billionaire notorious for funding several misleading anti-Kerry ads that ran on urban radio stations in 2004. The money for Rooney's newest ad flowed through a little-known group called America's PAC, which was founded by Richard Nadler, a veteran Republican consultant who pushed Intelligent Design in Kansas public schools, declaring, "Darwin is bunk."

Nadler has an apparently dim view of the minorities he hopes to court. In 2000, he produced an ad in 2000 for school vouchers in which a white parent declared that his child's public school "was a bit more diversity than he could handle." The Republican National Committee flatly denounced that ad as "racist."

But about Rooney and Nadler's latest creation, which portrays black men as promiscuous misogynists and black women as submissive "ho's," the RNC is silent.

huffingtonpost

I'm kinda speechless. Evil or Very Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,886 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Jack of Hearts

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 11:43 am
Who says the "hos" are black?
0 Replies

Mexica

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 08:21 pm
That's pretty fucked up.
0 Replies

paull

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 05:05 pm
That's nasty. If the left had a Karl Rove, I would suspect him or her.

otoh, since blacks never vote Republican, and people who cannot bring themselves to think ill of any minority never vote Republican, what's the harm?

I don't know why African Americans have an illegitimate birth rate four times whites, http://www.brook.edu/comm/policybriefs/pb05.htm but;

It does cost a lot to get married.

Why buy when you can rent?

Maybe those black guys have it all figured out!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 11:53 pm
Jesus.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:08 am
Can you provide a link to this in a conventional news service?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 03:46 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Can you provide a link to this in a conventional news service?

Brandon's favorite strategy is sending people of on tangents. If you make a statement, he asks for a link. If you provide a link, he asks for another link. Of course he could simple google the topic and find all the information within 5 seconds, and could subsequently adress the topic.

But that would be too easy, wouldn't it?

(Here's a link for an article about the ad in The New York Sun. Is that conventional enough?)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:59 am
<crickets>
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 10:35 am
Later...

<more crickets>
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 12:11 pm
Let a culture marinate in it--but watch out for Republican ads...

An excerpt--

The now infamous image of a man swiping a credit card through the crack of a Black female's backside in rap star Nelly's video "Tip Drill" exposes the way these rappers, the recording industry and their eager clientele view Black women: as commodity, as property. Period. Their value is only determined by the degree that they can be violated.

But what Nelly and his fellow rap cohorts fail to realize is that for every time they swipe a credit card through a Black female's behind and cash in on this oppressive profit-making scam, someone else is swiping one through their own asses as they remain bent in the position of submission to a system that views them as property too. But then again, maybe they do realize it, and just fail to care given the amount of fame and fortune that has come their way. But what we must realize is that there are millions of Black girls who are being violated in the name of hip hop culture and reap no profit from it whatsoever. And so the question that faces the Black community is: Do we care?

The lines between what is art and what is reality are blurring when artists' marketability is based on a street credibility that they are expected to tote. And in too many cases Black women are the casualties of their rap mantra of "keeping it real."

It has become an expectation that every gangsta rapper's CD will have an obligatory "Beat that Ho" song in their rap repertoire. Gangsta rappers take the persona of the pimp as their street archetype of choice. To be a pimp means that the possibility of slapping, beating or otherwise assaulting a woman is just a look or a word away. This valorization of violence sits at the center of the current image of the rapper. And many rappers are being turned out by an industry that is invested in keeping Black men in the role of violent-prone sexual predator.

50 Cent, one of the most popular rappers on the scene today, is heard intimidating a woman on his 2003 top ten track, " P.I.M.P." that stayed in rotation on radio for weeks upon its release:

Bitch choose with me, I'll have you stripping in the street/
Put my other hoes down, you get your ass beat/
Now Nick is my bottom bitch, she always come up with my bread/
The last nigga she was with put stitches in her head.

Beanie Sigel's "Watch Your Bitches" from his Def Jam release entitled The Reason takes an even more morbid turn when he threatens a woman with

bye bye bitch/
**** that red dress on/
get a head step on/
speed on before you get peed on/
when I piss I don't miss/
get mad, scratch your ass and get glad/
before I scratch your ass and get Glad bags/
throw your **** out on the trash.

The celebrated rap producer Dr. Dre is heard in his rap "Housewife" from the CD Dr. Dre 2001 saying,

Naw hoe is short for honey/
almost had her wailing like Bunny/
telling tales of being pregnant, catching Nordstrom sales with abortion money/
I spotted her seeing her with my niggas when I shot at her.

On Lil John's track "Bitches Aint ****" from the popular Crunk Juice CD, he regurgitates the master/slave relationship with him, a Black man, assuming the role of the master with the Black woman as his slave.

Acting all sophisticated spending money that she didn't make/
I get so mad that I could slap her acting like she Cleopatra/
aint no need to ask she's a slave to the money and I'm the master.

Snoop Doggy Dogg has an entire track about beating women on his latest CD R&G: (Rhythm and Gangsta) The Masterpiece. The rap, "Can U Control Yo Hoe" has Snoop schooling another guy on how to beat the woman he is living with. The chorus is instructive in its brutality:

Can you control your hoe? (You got a bitch that won't obey what you say)/
You can't control your hoe? (She hardheaded, she just won't obey)/
Can you control your hoe (You've got to know what to do, what to say)/
You've got to put that bitch in her place, even if it's slapping her in her face/
Ya got to control your hoe/ Can you control your hoe?

Later in the track he says,

What kind of pimp holds back?/
Never met a bitch that a pimp can't slap/
What's wrong with pimpin'?

A Republican ad calls black women bitches and ho's...? --Not really, two guys from a community who produces a billion dollar industry calling black women bitches and ho's are depicted in a Republican ad... And, it's the ad that bothers you?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:22 pm
<crickets chirping>

Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:26 pm
Weird.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:26 pm
How does the fact that rappers indulge in misogyny to appeal to the lowest instincts in consumers of rap at all impact the argument that republicans use negative racial stereotypes to appeal to the lowest instincts in their electorate?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:32 pm
How does the idiocy of one guy lead you to stereotype a huge group of people?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:33 pm
Because the rest of the group support his actions, of course.

How hard is that to understand?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:38 pm
...and you guys say the GOP is small-minded and given to stereotyping....

Hmph*
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:43 pm
Lash wrote:
...and you guys say the GOP is small-minded and given to stereotyping....

Hmph*

Why did you even bring up rappers? We're talking about the crappy campaign ads because we're in the middle of a heated election, and a discussion of this lowdown tactic is relevant.

Is it your reasoning that since we are calling these ads to task during an election that it is somehow hypocritical to not be calling the rappers to task at the same time?

Can you make any sense at all of your first post into this thread?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:48 pm
Lash wrote:
<crickets chirping>

Laughing
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:52 pm
I think crickets chirping are QUITE premature. I did need time to type.

I am quite glad to explain what you should be able to understand without further explanation:

Who is the ad aimed at?

Why did they choose the "lingo" and subject matter? Analyze it critically.

It was created to APPEAL to a demographic they want to ATTRACT.

Why are these words and images used attractive and appealing to a large swath of the demographic targeted?

As I said before....the main problem is not the ad---the main problem is that the ad was constructed as it is because of a serious problem within black US culture.

The ad is fake. The problem is REAL.

Don't you think so? Should crickets chirp already, or should I give you a few more minutes than you gave me to get your answer onscreen?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 05:55 pm
Additionally, the thread title is a lie.

I think your 5 minutes is almost up.

<crickets, razoning up their legs>
0 Replies