What are the Dems' REAL chances this Nov.?

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 07:51 pm
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=85676
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 08:11 pm
Whether we win or loose (democrats) at least Rove got his feathers ruffled.

Rove expresses frustration over Crist's no-show

Even if we don't win enough for the house or senate, I am not sure it really make that much of a difference anyway considering how the torture bill just flew by without hardly a whimper. I also doubt we would win enough to change any policies in place or that Bush wouldn't veto the changes anyway.

But it would be nice just to stick in the craw of the adminstration.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:04 pm
revel, Maybe the "new" blood will change what's happened during the past six years. We can hope.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 09:05 pm
Congress' approval rating is worse than Bush's. How the American people who determines their performance rating can reelect them into congress will be the mystery of our times.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 03:41 am
From today's Guardian. A quick last minute summary from the UK.

"

"Republicans closing gap as US votes
Final polls offer some cheer for Bush

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington
Tuesday November 7, 2006

Guardian

The Republicans were deploying their legendary machine last night to house the faithful and drive up turnout for midterm elections today, with activists buoyed by polls suggesting the party had recovered some lost ground in the final hours of the campaign.
In a contest that will help write the legacy of George Bush - as well as that of the man called his brain, the political strategist Karl Rove - thousands of party activists fanned out to battleground states, immersed in a $30m (£15.8m) drive to retain Republican control of Congress.

For Mr Bush, yesterday was also a day of constant motion, with election stops in Florida, Arkansas and Texas to energise party loyalists discouraged by the continuing violence in Iraq, the spiralling budget deficit and a spate of sex scandals.

But there was a last-minute reminder of the president's faltering appeal when a candidate from his own party decided not to show up alongside Mr Bush at a planned rally in Florida. Charlie Crist, standing for governor, made a speech hundreds of miles away instead.

Mr Bush had one new weapon in his armoury: the announcement that Saddam Hussein had been found guilty of crimes against humanity reaffirmed his national security agenda.

Republican party officials drew heart from three polls in the last 48 hours showing that they were gaining ground on the Democrats. Analysts yesterday continued to predict that the Democrats would win at least 15 seats in the House of Representatives - the number they would need to take control. But races for Republican Senate seats in Missouri, Virginia, and Montana and Rhode Island were in a dead heat, and the race for Democratic-held Maryland was also tight.

A USA Today/Gallup poll published yesterday gave the Democrats a seven point edge, leading the Republicans by 51% to 44%. But that was down from a 13-point margin two weeks ago. The USA Today poll also showed Democrats struggling to win all six seats they need to take control of the Senate.

A poll from the Pew Research Centre for the People and the Press on Sunday showed a steeper erosion in the Democratic lead, with the party polling 47% and the Republicans 43% among likely voters, compared to an 11-point gap two weeks ago. And an ABC/Washington Post poll showed Republicans cutting into the 14-point lead the Democrats held two weeks ago, reducing their advantage to six points. "It is coming back to reality: what you might expect to see on election night if you look at recent congressional history. It more accurately reflects the jousting we have seen between Republicans and Democrats," said Rhodes Cook, who publishes an independent political newsletter in Washington.

But a Fox news poll released yesterday found 49% of likely voters favouring Democratic candidates in house races, and 36% preferring Republicans.

A weekend poll in Time magazine showed the Democrats maintaining their advantage, while Newsweek had the party pulling even further ahead, with 53% wanting the Democrats to capture one or both houses of Congress, and 32% supporting continued Republican control.

Carroll Doherty, from the Pew Centre, said the polls suggested two late developments: a shift in independent voters to the Republicans and the re-engagement of Republican voters.

"The Republicans to some degree are coming home - not that there was a question of them voting Democrat, ... and now you see the Republicans becoming more engaged, and ... focus more on the elections," Mr Doherty said. "
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:47 pm
plainoldme wrote:
MM -- Whenever I read any of your posts, I hear my Father say, "Consider the source." You are clueless.

You call me clueless for quoting your own words?
If thats so,that also means you are clueless,because you made to comment,not me.

Now,if all you can do is attack and call names,you are free to do that.

But,remember this,doing so weakens your position and makes you look foolish.

You are however,free to do that if you want.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:09 pm
You are kidding me, mm.

I once lived in Kentucky and know the people there. You are not making comments worthy of your people.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:19 pm
sumac wrote:
You are kidding me, mm.

I once lived in Kentucky and know the people there. You are not making comments worthy of your people.

Since when did I become the spokesman for everybody in KY?
I represent myself,nobody else.

If you dont like my opinion,thats fine.

But,dont try and say that I represent anyone other then myself.

I wouldnt presume to try and speak for anyone else.

BTW,who are "my people"?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:25 pm
sumac, I must agree with mm that he only speaks for himself. I'm positive that all Kentuckians aren't as clueless.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
I think they may be referring to "your people" as your fellow statesmen. You are from Kentucky. People from Kentucky would be your fellow statesmen. Unfortunately, some people find it appropriate to lump one individual from a region in with all the other people from the same region, as though one person should bear the responsibility for being the spokesperson for the entire region, or people within that region.

Incidentally, there was an entire thread with a similar tone using the same flawed logic: NUKE IRAN
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 02:36 pm
So, we won't judge the people of Kentucky from your example.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 05:12 pm
6:15 pm and here we go.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
Let's just hope that the Democrats don't drop the candy.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:38 pm
Oh, Icann.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 02:52 pm
the only way the dems can hurt themselves is to be a do-nothing congress, waste their time on non-issues, and go too far left.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 12 Nov, 2006 03:46 pm
Amen, c.i. That goes for the impeachment thing too. It's like the football game where you are leading with only a minute to go. You try try run out the clock. No fancy plays to run up the score.
0 Replies