When Shutting Up isn't Cowardice

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:15 pm
I prefer any wet pulsations to happen elsewhere, thank you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:21 pm
I always knew theBunny was a no-tell Motel piece-a fur.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:

What in hell is THAT?

Is that a Canajun thing?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:25 am
dlowan wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

What in hell is THAT?

Is that a Canajun thing?

Nah ... Ozians got fur too - them as ain't scaled or feathered, anyhow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 12:45 am
timberlandko wrote:
dlowan wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

What in hell is THAT?

Is that a Canajun thing?

Nah ... Ozians got fur too - them as ain't scaled or feathered, anyhow.

Fur I know.....the rest is pure gibberish.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 01:21 am
Can't for the life of me think of the movie the "Notell Motel" came from, but part of the neon sign spelling Motel was dysfunctional, spelling it as Notel.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 02:08 am
roger wrote:
Can't for the life of me think of the movie the "Notell Motel" came from, but part of the neon sign spelling Motel was dysfunctional, spelling it as Notel.

Thanks Ratty...I am edging up on the answer.

Sadly, googling it didn't help at all.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 06:05 am
The term No Tell Motel has been part of the American lexicon since at least the mid-fifties when motels became the rage. I would bet that prior to that some wags had referred to a No Tell Hotel as well. (There was a lot of that sumpin-sumpin going on even then. Shocked

If someone has access to an Oxford Unabridged they could look it up.

Joe(bastards started charging for access)Nation
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
clever troll.

One of these words does not apply to you, thus we remain unconcerned with your contributions.

Happy turkey-cult, finn. As one of the few, perhaps even the only, liberal here who holds some level of actual fondness for you, I'd like to take this opportunity to hand you my best wishes wrapped in a plain brown envelope with the audible tick toc.

Great election, eh?

Oh there must be one or two other of your fellow travellers who have a soft spot in their hearts for me. If for no other reason, perhaps, than I have your ambiguous blessing.

(Let me spare the thread now and preempt the otherwise inevitable soft spot in the head cracks)

I accept your Thanksgiving Day gift and in return please accept this harmless white envelope. The surprise is very small but it resides at the bottom of the envelope, deep within the white packing powder. You may have to bring the envelope very close to your face to find the surprise. I'm sure you'll find it life changing.

Interesting election.

I find the Democrats efforts to appear rooted in the center very entertaining. Just this morning I heard Barnie Frank promise that before he got around to addressing gay rights he was going to help tackle the issues Americans really care about: minimum wage, housing for the aged (Not sure where that one came from. It was hardly on the lips of every voter as they entered their polling place), and prescription drug prices. "...our first efforts are going to be to do those things that I think the mainstream of America wants," he pledged. Presumably this means that their second efforts will be to do those things that mainstream Americans don't want, but which Frank and his friends know are best for them.

His colleague Charlie Rangel was with him and he too pledged to tackle the important issues confronting moderate America, like reinstituting the draft.

John Dingell assured America that he intended to launch many many investigations, but only about "things" and "happenings", not individuals. That will be a neat trick, and I'm anxious to see how he intends to do it.

I do admire their discipline and restraint and never would have thought it possible of them. The question is whether or not they can keep the bit in their collective mouth for the next two years and not sour the Democratic presidential candidate's chances by pushing a left-wing agenda that will reinforce the notion that Democrats warrant the "L" word.

I doubt it.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 07:54 pm
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
it does illustrate why the ignore tactic is not universally employed: a fair number of folks on A2K (even some of those good guys) enjoy a nasty exchange of insulting barbs.

True.

blatham wrote:
Quote:
clever troll.

One of these words does not apply to you

I disagree.

Thank you nimh. I am delighted that you consider me clever. I'm not quite sure that was the word blatham accepted as applying, but you leave no doubt of your own opinion.

I'm not quite as pleased to learn you consider me a troll, but since you don't plan on ignoring trolls, my worst fears are allayed.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:13 am
Quote:
The question is whether or not they can keep the bit in their collective mouth for the next two years and not sour the Democratic presidential candidate's chances by pushing a left-wing agenda that will reinforce the notion that Democrats warrant the "L" word.

Well, that's the interesting deep element to the election...the degradation, in the popular american mind, of conservative governance and ideology. The serious sectors of the movement (which does not include Rush or Coulter or Fox) understand that their movement has taken a significant, perhaps terminal, hit. A corollary aspect of this is the shift, however implicit at this point, of what "liberalism" actually means/represents in relation to the electorate's values.

We'll see what happens in two years. But the goal of a thirty year republican dominance looks pretty tattered and unsalvageable at this point. If things stay much the same as they have over the last five or so years, McCain looks the republicans only real presidential hope. And a McCain presidency will, to something like a 90% probability, effectively dismantle the coalition of "conservative" interest groups...their interests being actually too conflicted to remain a political singularity outside of a solidly authoritarian comptroller. So spreken moi.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:04 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
my worst fears are allayed.

I am here to please, Finn.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:07 am
nimh wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
my worst fears are allayed.

I am here to please, Finn.

You're a saint, Nimh.

A saint.

:wink:
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:18 am
The patience of Job. The persistence of Sisyphus.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 12:36 am
blatham wrote:
Quote:
The question is whether or not they can keep the bit in their collective mouth for the next two years and not sour the Democratic presidential candidate's chances by pushing a left-wing agenda that will reinforce the notion that Democrats warrant the "L" word.

Well, that's the interesting deep element to the election...the degradation, in the popular american mind, of conservative governance and ideology. The serious sectors of the movement (which does not include Rush or Coulter or Fox) understand that their movement has taken a significant, perhaps terminal, hit. A corollary aspect of this is the shift, however implicit at this point, of what "liberalism" actually means/represents in relation to the electorate's values.

We'll see what happens in two years. But the goal of a thirty year republican dominance looks pretty tattered and unsalvageable at this point. If things stay much the same as they have over the last five or so years, McCain looks the republicans only real presidential hope. And a McCain presidency will, to something like a 90% probability, effectively dismantle the coalition of "conservative" interest groups...their interests being actually too conflicted to remain a political singularity outside of a solidly authoritarian comptroller. So spreken moi.

Wishful thinking blatham. I don't know how you can conclude that these elections indicate a significant, let alone permanent, rejection of conservatism in America. America remains a center-right nation, which can readily be seen by the manner in which the winners, the Democrats, have read the public sentiment that brought them back into power.

Permanent Republican dominance is, indeed, a lost cause, but then it was never really found. There was never a chance that the Republicans could rule the nation for extended decades, for the very reason that they just lost the congress: Power corrupts, and it takes far less than decades to do so.

I really didn't think the Democrats' "Culture of Corruption" strategy was going to have any traction, and in the end I think they agreed with me as they pretty well abandoned it in favor of Iraq as their central issue.

I figured the public didn't see all that much difference between the two parties when it came to corruption and only those races in which clearly corrupt politicians were involved would be affected by the issue.

I'm not convinced that in terms of the public's attitude about politicians in general, I was wrong, but it seems pretty clear that there was a significant level of disgust that easily focused itself on the party in power, and which led to an "anybody would be better" sentiment. Popular, moderate Republicans lost in any number of congressional races, their party affiliation, rather than their ideology serving as their Achilles Heel.

Again, I have to admit that I am surprised and impressed by the Democrat's measured response to their victory. Clearly they did not see the election results as a mandate for moving the country to the left, and they are not going to assume that simply because the system favors incumbents that now that they are in power they'll have a sure turn at keeping it for at least ten plus years.

Nancy Pelosi who, perhaps more than any other Democrat, seemed to have correctly judged the public's feeling about corruption seems fairly determined not to let her party be seen as "the New Boss, just like the Old Boss." (Although she did stumble a bit out of the box by supporting an unindicted Abscam co-conspirator for Majority Leader.)

Throughout my life, it has never been a catastrophic turn of events when the party I opposed controlled the government, and I don't expect it to be the case now. Certainly there will be policies enacted which fail to move the nation forward, and even set it back a bit, but ruination is hardly likely. It is all the less likely because the Democrats seem to really want to stay in power and just might be able to moderate themselves...at least for a while.

Old coalitions rarely, if ever, remain intact after a political defeat, and so it doesn't take a great deal of insight to predict that the new coalition of conservative interest groups will not be put together in precisely the same way it was during the glory days, but these groups are neither going to disappear, nor switch sides anymore than liberal interest groups did when the Democrats lost power.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 01:35 am
snood wrote:
The patience of Job. The persistence of Sisyphus.

You don't have a lithp, do you?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 07:15 am
finn

That's a thoughtful response. Thanks.

Quote:
Wishful thinking blatham. I don't know how you can conclude that these elections indicate a significant, let alone permanent, rejection of conservatism in America. America remains a center-right nation, which can readily be seen by the manner in which the winners, the Democrats, have read the public sentiment that brought them back into power.

Permanent Republican dominance is, indeed, a lost cause, but then it was never really found. There was never a chance that the Republicans could rule the nation for extended decades, for the very reason that they just lost the congress: Power corrupts, and it takes far less than decades to do so.

First, it isn't my thesis that "conservatism" was rejected. Rather that a different and more extreme set of notions on values/governance along with a tight coalition of interest groups within it - "new conservatism" has been the term used to describe it by Sheena Easton and others - looks to be dead in the water now. Thank you jesus. (Actually, I'd argue that there are two identifiable points where "conservatism" in the more traditional sense took a hit too...Katrina and Iraq).

Inarguably, America began a move to the right in the seventies. I don't see that as merely a correction but rather as well organized and marketed push to strengthen and capitalize on a correction. The establishment and coordination of rightwing think tanks with propagandist gears and intentions (see their missions statements) are an identifable element. The financial and organizational support thrown into rightwing media outlets and operations (see, for example, the pundit-training establishment out of which Ann Coulter and many others have issued) have brought into being a large, effective and intentionally partisan information filter is another identifiable element. A third is the establishment and organization of the Federalist Society with its goals of training, organizing and co-ordinating republicans/conservatives in the legal sphere so as to move judicial bodies and rulings in an ideological direction. A fourth is the envelopment of the burgeoning polititicization of fundamentalist/evangelical communities within the Republican electoral machine. Fifth, and related to that last, is the establishment of "faith based initiatives" which, as Kuo and others have pointed out, has a clear strategy of defunding organizations which had previously been pro-dem and moving that funding over to pro-repub groups. Six, that same fund/defund strategy applied, via K Street, to the wealthy and influential lobbying community. Seven, the construction/organization of something that might be termed 'meta-organization/co-ordination' bodies/functions to keep all the various communities noted above working in tandem - the Norquist operation, for one, fits here.

Of course, there are precursor groups and activities from earlier in time, but each of these initiatives above are in important ways new and notable in organizational depth and funding and effectiveness. Perhaps an analogy might be a switch from a ragtag army to a seasoned and organized and trained batallion.

"Conservatism" as a loose philosophy stands apart from all the above.

It is my consideration that had the Iraq project not been initiated, "new conservatism" may well have achieved solid and pervasive dominance for decades. Iraq seems a really serious miscalculation and over-reach from the neoconservative quarter (allied with extremists in Israel) and (I think, though it's hard to make this argument compelling with my level of knowledge/education) the military-industrial quarter.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:06 am
I must say that the posts of Bernie and Finn are interesting.

Quote:
It is my consideration that had the Iraq project not been initiated, "new conservatism" may well have achieved solid and pervasive dominance for decades. Iraq seems a really serious miscalculation and over-reach from the neoconservative quarter (allied with extremists in Israel) and (I think, though it's hard to make this argument compelling with my level of knowledge/education) the military-industrial quarter.

So they have paid a heavy price for their principles then? To lose a "solid and pervasive dominance for decades" is an extremly high price for politicians to pay.

To call it a "miscalculation" is an assertion even allowing for the "seems" as is "over-reach". That can only be due to incompetence. That they didn't know they were throwing aside dominance for decades or they made the supreme sacrifice politicians can make.

The latter is surely honourable and the former a criticism of the voters for electing incompetents and the elaborate system in place to weed out incompetence.

There is another possibility. It is that the US does not have the capacity to produce the competence required for the situation. As if the high jump bar was set at 10 feet. That it was too much for anybody.

That's when fighting starts I think Clausewitz said.

Leaving out the assertion of miscalculation and that the US has no-one up to the job, an unthinkable thought for an American, Mr Bush looks quite good. And he probably hasn't given up hope of the decades of dominance as well.

Maybe I should bet on Bernie's expert judgement and put money on the Dems. What are the odds for 2008?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:11 am
No Dlowan, 'cause then I would've said Thithyphus.... Cool
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 06:08 pm
What on earth has happened to this interesting thread?

Has everybody got bored with "When shutting up isn't cowardice".

Goethe said it.

Is the war actually just entertainment in between breakfast, lunch and dinner and the occasional shag?
0 Replies