When Shutting Up isn't Cowardice

old europe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 11:09 am
Mushroom clouds!? Mushroom clouds anybody!?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 01:19 pm
Joe wrote-

Quote:
I am losing all respect for you, not that that matters.

Joe(try to focus, or stop and go shopping)Nation

If it is myself being referred to then you will have to explain your position.

Are you suggesting that I was being foolish in not believing that Saddam Hussein had nukes and in thinking that anyone who did believe that didn't know a nuke from a nectarine and probably still doesn't.

All I asked was a definintion of a WMD. Why that should produce this display of witlessness is beyond me if I discount sheer irrational prejudice coupled with an attitude to war at the level of that suitable for a dart's match.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:18 pm
old europe wrote:
Mushroom clouds!? Mushroom clouds anybody!?

What a perfect icon
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 10:32 pm
blatham wrote:
finn

That's a thoughtful response. Thanks.

You don't know how much your recognition motivates me.

Quote:
Wishful thinking blatham. I don't know how you can conclude that these elections indicate a significant, let alone permanent, rejection of conservatism in America. America remains a center-right nation, which can readily be seen by the manner in which the winners, the Democrats, have read the public sentiment that brought them back into power.

Permanent Republican dominance is, indeed, a lost cause, but then it was never really found. There was never a chance that the Republicans could rule the nation for extended decades, for the very reason that they just lost the congress: Power corrupts, and it takes far less than decades to do so.

First, it isn't my thesis that "conservatism" was rejected. Rather that a different and more extreme set of notions on values/governance along with a tight coalition of interest groups within it - "new conservatism" has been the term used to describe it by Sheena Easton and others - looks to be dead in the water now. Thank you jesus. (Actually, I'd argue that there are two identifiable points where "conservatism" in the more traditional sense took a hit too...Katrina and Iraq).

Really? You could have fooled me, but I accept your contention.

Inarguably, America began a move to the right in the seventies. I don't see that as merely a correction but rather as well organized and marketed push to strengthen and capitalize on a correction. The establishment and coordination of rightwing think tanks with propagandist gears and intentions (see their missions statements) are an identifable element. The financial and organizational support thrown into rightwing media outlets and operations (see, for example, the pundit-training establishment out of which Ann Coulter and many others have issued) have brought into being a large, effective and intentionally partisan information filter is another identifiable element. A third is the establishment and organization of the Federalist Society with its goals of training, organizing and co-ordinating republicans/conservatives in the legal sphere so as to move judicial bodies and rulings in an ideological direction. A fourth is the envelopment of the burgeoning polititicization of fundamentalist/evangelical communities within the Republican electoral machine. Fifth, and related to that last, is the establishment of "faith based initiatives" which, as Kuo and others have pointed out, has a clear strategy of defunding organizations which had previously been pro-dem and moving that funding over to pro-repub groups. Six, that same fund/defund strategy applied, via K Street, to the wealthy and influential lobbying community. Seven, the construction/organization of something that might be termed 'meta-organization/co-ordination' bodies/functions to keep all the various communities noted above working in tandem - the Norquist operation, for one, fits here.

In short, you give no credence to the notion that Americans may have actually embraced conservative principles. Instead, Conservative ascendence was a product of diabolical mechanics. This is, I suppose, is good news for you Lefties as it proves the American electorate is a simple minded mass, succeptible to advance political practices. Since Dems have now gone to school on the Repubs practices once can (if one is a Lib) hope that the result will be the same.

Of course, there are precursor groups and activities from earlier in time, but each of these initiatives above are in important ways new and notable in organizational depth and funding and effectiveness. Perhaps an analogy might be a switch from a ragtag army to a seasoned and organized and trained batallion.

"Conservatism" as a loose philosophy stands apart from all the above.

It is my consideration that had the Iraq project not been initiated, "new conservatism" may well have achieved solid and pervasive dominance for decades. Iraq seems a really serious miscalculation and over-reach from the neoconservative quarter (allied with extremists in Israel) and (I think, though it's hard to make this argument compelling with my level of knowledge/education) the military-industrial quarter.

Interesting that you, who so clearly counts yourself among the heavenly host, would find that the execution of neo-con principle was a "miscalculation" because it did not support GOP political dominance. God forbid that the neo-cons pushed something they believed in rather than an agenda that suited Republican political strategy.

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 06:06 am
spendius wrote:
All I asked was a definintion of a WMD. Why that should produce this display of witlessness is beyond me

Are you seriously saying you have followed the news for the past five years like any of us, and never cottoned on to the Bush admin's use of "WMD" as container term for not just nuclear, but also chemical and biological weapons, and even the more massive of explosives? If that is so, I think the witlessness is on your side, and explains Joe's baffled reaction.

No matter - though Wikipedia is never a conclusive source, it generally serves fine as a first introduction to any subject one is not informed about at all, and here's its entry for "WMD".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:04 am
Oh sure, Habibi, confuse the issue with facts.

How typically commie that is.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 09:32 am
nimh wrote-

Quote:
Are you seriously saying you have followed the news for the past five years like any of us, and never cottoned on to the Bush admin's use of "WMD" as container term for not just nuclear, but also chemical and biological weapons, and even the more massive of explosives?

Of course I cottoned on to the "use".

I just cottoned on to other uses as well as those, and I discounted nuclear. It helped sell the expedition which is all that matters now. Some didn't need it selling to them.

Iraq was a WMD.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:35 am
Quote:
Iraq was a WMD.

Muster is what this sentence doesn't even approach.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:43 am
Quote:
Iraq was a WMD.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:43 am
Quote:
Iraq was a WMD.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 10:45 am
I hope I've made my point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 11:21 am
what?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 12:24 pm
Bernie-

A dictator can use a nation's resources as a weapon. I don't see how you can quibble with the idea that Iraq under SH was a WMD. What else is military power unless it is the focus of the economic strength of a nation deployed in its basic interests.

My sentence musters perfectly. The liberals can wave their arms in the air anyway they wish but it won't alter that. Which is why they are out of the loop.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:16 pm
spendi, You're the only one "out of the loop." Get used to it, because even your fellow Brits says so. You stand alone; how can anybody with such standing continue to think what you say has any worth or relevance?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 01:18 pm
You still have your "companions" at the local pub who seems to enjoy your presence.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
spendius wrote:
Bernie-

A dictator can use a nation's resources as a weapon. I don't see how you can quibble with the idea that Iraq under SH was a WMD. What else is military power unless it is the focus of the economic strength of a nation deployed in its basic interests.

My sentence musters perfectly. The liberals can wave their arms in the air anyway they wish but it won't alter that. Which is why they are out of the loop.

Insufficiently discriminating in all aspects, spendi.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 02:43 pm
spendi can wave his arms in the air anyway he wish but it won't alter that/anything.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 03:16 pm
I'm not trying to alter anything you silly moo.

Where have I suggested altering anything.

I leave that stuff to you armchair warriors.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:
Bernie-

Insufficiently discriminating in all aspects, spendi.

It is a defensible proposition I think you'll find. In the hands of one man a nation's resources become an expression of his will and anyone who couldn't see what SH's will looked like was blind.

I don't see what you said to be anything other than an assertion.

You are in the luxurious position of criticising without offering any alternative strategies.

What do you want to happen? If you would say we can examine it up to the point our limited knowledge takes us at least.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 9 Dec, 2006 05:38 pm
spendius wrote:
Bernie wrote-

Quote:
spendius wrote:
Bernie-

blatham responded: Insufficiently discriminating in all aspects, spendi.

It is a defensible proposition I think you'll find. In the hands of one man a nation's resources become an expression of his will and anyone who couldn't see what SH's will looked like was blind.

I don't see what you said to be anything other than an assertion.

You are in the luxurious position of criticising without offering any alternative strategies.

What do you want to happen? If you would say we can examine it up to the point our limited knowledge takes us at least.

1) Yes, what I said was an assertion. But not an assertion about what was in someone's head or even regarding some facts about the world. It was an assertion that your sentence "Sadaam was a WMD" is so uncareful and indiscriminate in language use as to be meaningless and worthless. "Kruschev is a nuclear bomb". "Christianity is the end of civilization." "Apple computers are plows."

2) criticizing without offering an alternative strategy may well be a luxurious condition, but it is no sort of logical fallacy. Your brewer gets a bad shipment of hops and doesn't quite get the compensatory chemistry just right and you complain about the taste without finding it necessary to solve the chemistry problem. Your surgeon leaves a sponge in your chest and are probably going to speak to him rather than take a chisel to your chest.

3) the portion of your sentence I've put in red would be at home in Lawrence but is in no other sense helpful or meritorious here. To what leaders would it not apply? How? Why? Further, it presumes a set of psychic and future-telling abilities on your part (and an apparent lack of humility as regards the accuracy of those skills) which will unsettle your grandmother and aunts if they get wind of this.

4) What do I want to have happen where? It's bad enough to try and address your lack of specificity and clarity in answers, but do you really have to burden me with the interrogatives too?
0 Replies