Very funny old ads - gotta read 'em to believe 'em

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:26 am
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html

This is a link from a site my sister sent me and I have been lmao for the last ten minutes.

I found this one hilarious...

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/bbtrix/7.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,447 • Replies: 20
No top replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:35 am
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/meat/mmmm.jpg

That sure looks like a big ol' hunka prime rib to me. The author seems to think it is a cake. I think they lack credibility.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:36 am
Did you read the one on bran? Or the sos pad one? come on, they're funny!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:37 am
Some of them are funny - the second Meet Meat one is funnier. Wink
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:38 am
I'll have to check it out Smile
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 10:38 am
That big piece of white fat in the ribeye above has shrunk over the years, giving a meatier cut. It's still there, however, and makes the ribeye steak the king of setting your grill on fire.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:29 am
I have a Betty Crocker cookbook from that era...It's a real hoot. It's probably worth something.

There's not one thing in there I'd consider making.

They have a section for various theme parties...like a hawaiian luau. Some thing to do with toothpicks, pineapple chunks and marshmallows.

I love the pictures in it of things like hubby coming home with the boss unexpectedly. Fortunately, the little woman was always able to pull a chicken out of her ass or something.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 11:37 am
Another funny one is the one on 7-up - yeah, mix it with milk, why not? All the little gaffers love it! A drink the whole family will love!

Does anyone remember Dorothy Dix, the advice columnist of the 40s? These remind me an awful lot of her!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:51 pm
Ouch, my sides hurt. Thanks Mame, that's hilarious. I love the picture of the leg of something-or-other, decorated with a ruffle, and the caption explaining, "Sometimes meat likes to dress up and feel pretty. That doesn't mean ANYTHING." Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:20 pm
I disagree about that not meaning anything. Shocked
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 09:36 pm
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/knudsen/cover.jpg

The burritos in the right hand corner are just wrong.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 12:32 am
I would imagine that each and every one of those recipes tastes better than the rotting-fish-sauce-and-palm-sugar combo that pervades so much of today's cooking.

Foul stuff!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 11:38 am
Ah Lezzles! You CANNOT be serious! lol Give me ethnic any day over boiled veggies, foods made with 7-up, gelatin, and slabs of greasy, fatty meats!

How delightful is a red curry beef with bamboo shoots and snap peas cooked al dente and a 1/2 cup of fragrant, steamy jasmine rice...

Or a tasty, spicy pad thai?

Or a beautiful been rendang with a side of roti canai?

Yum!

Canadian food is oh-so-boring!
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 04:35 am
You show me a Thai dish that does NOT contain the rfsaps combo and I will eat it.

Love curries. Hot Indian curries.

Adore roasts (yep, big chunks of meat {fat removed before eating}, steamed vegetables {NEVER boiled})

Would never contemplate in a thousand years, using 7UP, Coke or any other soft drink in cooking (make a great beef in beer casserole, though.) Use lots of herbs and spices.

Maybe I've always been spoiled by food prepared from fine local meat, fresh seafood and veggies.

All things in moderation and moderation in all things.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 04:39 am
You show me a Thai dish that does NOT contain the rfsaps combo and I will eat it. Do you have your own barrel of decaying fish with a little tap on the bottom so you can access the seepage when you need it? :wink:

Love curries. Hot Indian curries.

In fact I like lots of 'ethnic' food - from lots of different places

Adore roasts (yep, big chunks of meat {fat removed before eating}, steamed vegetables {NEVER boiled})

Would never contemplate in a thousand years, using 7UP, Coke or any other soft drink in cooking (make a great beef in beer casserole, though.) Use lots of herbs and spices.

Maybe I've always been spoiled by food prepared from fine local meat, fresh seafood and veggies.

All things in moderation and moderation in all things. Cool
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 05:24 am
My God, I must really be phucked up. My mom used to make all this stuff when Iza kid and I never thought a damn about it. She cooked with Miracle Whip and Kaiser foil. She had a cake recipe made with mayonnaise or Miracle Whip. I remember eating the batter .

That prime rib roast is actually a Delmonico Roast and it still looks like week old road kill.

Any Jellos with fruit in them? my mom would makre a layered thing with jello containing bananas and then a layer of something with cream , then a layer od jello with another kind of fruit. Then whipped cream on Top

I really l;ike that can Of SIZ, A pyros toolkit would not be without that ****.

Ive gotta send this off to friends you understand. This cannot be kept under theadmin of all these brie eating A2Kers. Ive gotta share this with the rest of the gun totin roadkill eatin world
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 11:58 am
My daughter makes that cake with mayo in it - I think it's Hellman's...

Lots of people made those jello salads - the worst ones were with the veggies in them. I thought they were particularly disgusting. Cabbage in jello? Ewww...

That kind of stuff is still around... we still have fake whipped cream, cheese that squirts out of a can, and cereal with cocoa-puffs and marshmallows. Not to mention Ho-Ho's, yodels, white bread, cheesies... food with no redeeming value whatsoever.

Ah well.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:55 pm
Jell-o salads are still typical church pot-luck fare in my hometown, so I thought I was familiar with them in all their iterations-- but one of the ones on that site was with MEAT. I really can't imagine how someone came up with that idea...Jell-o salad with big hunks of meat in it. That generation's obssession with Jell-o was just weird...

"Honey, where'd my socks go?"

"Oh, I'm using them to mold my new Jell-o, 7-up, and pig hoof salad, dear."
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 08:40 pm
Savory gelatin based preparations with meat are not "jello", they are called "aspic".

I think it's because they taste like something you picked out of your ass.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:45 pm
Oh God, there's a whole category for jell-o with meat? Barf...
0 Replies