New Russian Art

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 06:29 pm
I'm thinking of purchasing the print edition of this Russian artist based in New York. Just interested in some A2Kers opinions on his art. He has a book published.

http://www.artvestgallery.com/images/bird.jpg

Bird
Mihail Aleksandrov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,313 • Replies: 72
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:51 am
Lightwizard. Interesting.............Looks like some kind of bug emerging from a chrysalis.

That's just my emotional reaction to the picture. I am not the one to ask for an art critique! Confused
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 06:46 am
Many of his images are based on the structure of a cross. If you look closer, you'll recognize the form of the giant bird embracing the human figure. Highly symbolic, his work has spiritual influences and his palette has some of the most sumptuous golden tones I've ever seen. I have a list of his exhibitions and it happens the gallery I am working as a consultant for owns all of the prints. I'm considering taking one in trade and there's a portfolio available. The the prices the gallery is selling, I think it is one of those few incidences where I would buy for investment.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 01:49 pm
http://www.artvestgallery.com/images/prisoners.jpg

Another, entitled 'The Prisoners"

The cross oriented compostion is more evident. There's a glowing light that seems to eminate from the back of picture plane that gives it all an ethereal look.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
LW, I fell in love with Russian art when I was able to visit the Tretyakov Gallery and Pushkin Museum of Fine Arts in Moscow. If you like, I can post of the photos I took, but be forewarned, it's nothing like the paintings you are considering. I like the classic style. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 03:07 pm
Well, C.I., I have to admit that majority of Russians prefer realistic art regardless of the political system ruling in the country. That is why such artists as Chagall, Sutin and the mentioned Michael Alexandrov prefer to live abroad.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:07 pm
I 'get' the second one more than i do the first. As the first one revealed itself, i thought it was a painting of a man and a croissant.

I like the colours that he uses. Not cliche.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 05:34 pm
Oh, but there's a traditional, almost Giotto-like, ambiance to his images. His colors are very classic and so is his subject matter. You'd have to go through the entire book which I have to see the unmistakable roots in traditional Russian painting.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 01:02 pm
Contrast is lost in the reprodution process so one misses the bird's wing -- I guess you could mistake it for a croissant! Laughing

steissd is right about innovative artists not wanting to stay in Russia where "state art" was only permissable. Times are achanging, however, as there was just an exhibition of Paul Jenkins huge lyrical abstract images in Russia.

Aleksandrov is now living in New York (I think still, but I'm researching it) and a piece was purchased by the National Museum in Russia. He also lived in the Los Angeles area. I don't believe the book is still in circulation but I have a copy of it. The company I am doing consulting for right now owns all of the print editions and at price points I can certainly live with.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:52 pm
art
I very much like the first work. It has the virtues of a powerful immediate aesthetic impact and content ambiguity. The golden glow is wonderful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:11 pm
I have a personal bias against the diagonal. Sorry, folks, way it is. Comfy with number two, certainly Giottoesque+others, and still different.

Many many people like diagonals, including landscape designers looking for the quickest way between two points (watch for footprints). See your average school quad.

Still, I see the 45 degree diag in a discomfitting way. Counterserene. Hard to describe quite why it annoys me so. If I want to explode space I would just explode it.

Let me back off and say it is certainly legitimate, I am just not entranced by it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:43 pm
Dang, osso, I can't get that diagonal out of my mind, now. c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:14 pm
art
I have a bias in favor of diagonals. Don't know why.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 12:31 am
Personal reaction here, not wanting to convince you to be antidiagonal.

After all, look at my ears.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 06:04 am
Shocked yeah look at those ears ! Shocked

GrandVizier - I suspect the croissant effect would be much lessened in person. Maybe it's just the low/no carb food plan I'm trying to follow - maybe I just see croissants everywhere?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:49 am
ears
Osso and Ehbeth Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:52 am
And just this morning I see in this month's Harper's a page with four paintings by David Maisel...using diagonals heavily, and I like them. So much for upholding that bias for long.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:54 am
Back with a link if I can find one.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 10:56 am
art
Now they're beginning to make me queasy! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
And now I am really confused. I think Maisel's works are aerial photos, not paintings. Of course this is somewhat off subject on the new Russian art.

http://www.artnet.com/ag/galleryhomepage.asp?gid=1094&which=fine
0 Replies