New Russian Art

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:12 pm
It's "cone-ni-chi-wa." I'm impressed! c.i.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:42 pm
Glad you did that GW; I always liked the second one and the first one is growing on me.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:51 pm
Wish the gallery had more than one of the books. I'm going to see if they can get more but I kind of doubt it. I don't believe the marketing (at a New York gallery) was successful and that's why the prints ended up in the secondary market. Of course, everything is cyclical and Russian art had it's heyday shortly after the fall of communism up until a few years ago. The slowing economy is partially at fault -- it is a buyer's market for art like this right now.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 06:03 pm
art
A couple of years ago we had a show of Russian artists, Kandinsky, Malevich and other Suprematists. It was wonderful. I particularly enjoyed their humble frames, the result, perhaps, of the fact that they weretraveling but maybe also because the Soviet philosophy at the time of their production frowned on ornateness.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:23 pm
The history of Russian art is as unique as the history of the country. And as fascinating. Aleksandrov certainly has the influence of the constructivist as well as Russian religious icons of the Middle Ages. Some of the constructive inspired composition is even more evident in other images in the book. I can scan some of them as the gallery is so far limited on visuals.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:45 pm
We're interested, glight,
0 Replies

zincwhite

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:48 pm
Light wizard, what is the process used here? This is a print process? or a print of a painting?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:52 pm
The visuals I believe are from the print edition -- they are screenprints or serigraphs. The book are images of the originals oils.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 06:47 am
Here's an original I found on line at a prestigious L.A. gallery:

Aleksandrov "Prometheus"

Well, I guess his market for originals is quite good!

It's always encouraging when a limited edition print is priced at about 1-1/2% of the original (but they were priced at the New York gallery at $2,400.00, unframed!)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 02:35 pm
art
A very powerful image. And hugh!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 04:05 pm
I wish they'd give the date the piece was executed -- it looks much newer than the pieces in the book. I'm attempting to scan in some images into The Raven's Realm albums so I can drop them into here.

No luck with moving the image over here so here's a link:

THE WONDERER

Oil On Canvas
46 x 52 inches
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 11:13 pm
I'll back on out here since these are not my own attraction...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 08:37 am
Huh? Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
Another graphic I'm considering:

http://www.artvestgallery.com/alexandrov/aleksandrov_reflections.jpeg

Reflections
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:02 pm
art
Interesting how this composition is oriented to the corners rather than the more common top-bottom and right and left sides. They have interesting dream-like qualities, but, like Osso, I don't feel the attraction that others might. It could be, in part, because they are excessively monochromatic.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:45 pm
LW, Here's some photos I took at the Pushkin Museum of Modern Art in Moscow. Would like to hear your opinion the the three paintings I'll post. c.i. Here's the first one.http://www.grovestreet.com/thumbnails/1/216201.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:50 pm
Here's number 2.http://www.grovestreet.com/thumbnails/2/216202.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
Here's #3.http://www.grovestreet.com/thumbnails/3/216203.jpg
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:41 pm
Love them -- they are also tending to be monochromatic and except for Kadinsky, this is a characteristic of Russian art. Is it their climate, their people, their history? I don't know why none of them are colorists. Actually, against these works, it almost makes Alexandrov look like a colorist. He does like the red, gold and muted greens chromas. I don't think I've found any with blue in them, at least not prominantly. But I have seen a lot of his new work except what is on the link provided herein. They also draw from Chagall in the breaking up of the image as if it is a stained glass window.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 02:45 pm
Well, there is blue in one of these, a newer painting that the period the prints were taken from:

http://www.barakatgallery.com/Auction/ItemImgs/MA2t.jpg
0 Replies