WASHINGTON ACCEPTS SURRENDER OF CORNWALLIS

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:10 am
2PM EST, Cornwallis tried to surrender to the FRench but was rebuffed . For 2 months prior, the combined British and Prussian forces had been living in caves and eating wormy food and drinking "vastly inferior Port". The rebels, employing sappers and trench technology, had isolated the British and left them stranded between occupied land and a spit backed by brackish shallows. Cornwallis had actually proposed a surrender on Oct 17 1781 , but there ensued 2 days of hammering out the details. Finally, this PM, the British, flying their colors upside down and with their band playing a kids tune, surrendered.

Share your memories of Yorktown, which today, is threatened by tacky development.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,274 • Replies: 7
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:23 am
The 9,000 American forces were in the minority during the Yorktown Campaign. The French army and navy combined for over 25,000 men, while the British army and navy participants numbered over 21,000.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:25 am
Yorktown Virgina, that's back east somewhere, innit?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 06:53 am
Didn't they just put a Walmart there?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 07:45 pm
Well, we just made some rude gestures to one of my British colleagues today.

Now were planning for a reenactment of the Whisky Rebellion. As soon as Lewis and Clark get home
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 19 Oct, 2006 08:53 pm
I was all set to molest some camp followers in celebration, but my wife made me come back in the house.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:00 am
bummer. I think you coulda been one of the greats at wenching.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 05:21 am
Well, that's what I told her, but she just refused to get into the spirit of the holiday. I think she might be an America-hater.
0 Replies