Nutritional deficiencies-a key role in aggressive behaviour?

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
we have noticed that much of the frozen fish sold in canada under CANADIAN brand labels , actually has been packed in CHINA - one has to be diligent and look for the "product of ..... " imprint , which seems to be getting smaller and smaller .
i recently read that many fish caught by canadian trawlers are transferred to chinese factory ships , frozen , taken to china for filleting , packed and re-exported to canada - seems like a long trip .

on a related matter : spotted some nicely packaged frozen veggies recently bearing a bright label : EUROPE"S CHOICE - or similar .
wow , i thought ; the europeans are sending us their best veggies - fooled again - "PRODUCT OF CHINA" !

perhaps next we'll be sending our parliamentarians to china to benevolently reign over us from there - might save a bundle Very Happy .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm
from the 'seattle times' :
salmon shipped to china for filleting and packing returns home to united states consumers .
hbg

...PACIFIC U.S. SALMON TRAVELS TO CHINA AND BACK...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
At least I know where most of Ontario's Omega-3 eggs come from Very Happy They are based very close to hamburger.

(I work for a company peripherally involved with their transport throughout the province)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:15 pm
I'm sure that's true of many of the chain store fish purchases.. but I'm not sure that covers fish in a market like my old local co-op. I'll email them and ask about their sources.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 03:47 pm
osso :
if they have the whole salmon at the market and fillet it for you , the salmon probably hasn't seen china .
if it already filleted ...???
mainly it seems to be the frozen , packaged fish that pays a visit to china first before being sold here .
there probably is nothing wrong with it ; we buy the frozen shrimp coming fron thailand quite often and they are quite good .
nothing beats the freshly caught shrimp in hilton head, s.c. ; hudson's seafood restaurant is our favourite there .
hbg

Local Shrimp $16.99
Butterflied, fantail shrimp, fried or broiled.

one of my favourites at 'hudson's on the dock'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:43 pm
This is a market on the pacific coast in salmon country that also sells local grass fed beef, and fairly local free range chicken that's free of many of the usual scourges. I'm sure their wild salmon hasn't taken a trip; their fresh crabs come from the immediate neighborhood.

OK, OK, I'll email them and see if they respond.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:15 pm
i was rather surprised to see in the article that even dungeness crabs are shipped to china for processing - i didn't think they would travel well .

some years ago we were in chincoteague/virginia with ebeth .
ehbeth ordered single-fried oysters and asked : "are they local ?" .
" no , i'm sorry , " they waittress answered , "they come from about a mile away " . that wasn't "local" for the waitress :wink: !
hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:17 pm
It was a mile to Costco.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 07:38 pm
That was Ella's in Calabash.

The oysters were from the next dock over.

http://www.hollyeats.com/Ellas.htm

There's a Walmart in Shallotte. No Costco for quite a bit further.
0 Replies