Earthquake Swarm strikes Hawaii

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 12:46 pm
USGS Map[/i][/b]

USA Today Lede: Magnitude 6.3 quake knocks out power in Hawaii

Largest estimated at Magnitude 6.3, 20 or more related events, pre-shocks/aftershocks, ongoing. Communications and power disrupted throughout Islands, some damage to physical infrastructure, many buildings evacuated, reports of some roads closed, no firm reports of casualties. No tsunami warning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 876 • Replies: 12
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 12:53 pm
That's nice, especially since I am going on Thursday to Hawaii. Shocked
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:00 pm
Ahhhh .... so now we know who to blame - I bet for a minute there, some folks though this was Bush's fault Laughing
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 01:02 pm
http://www.borge.diesal.de/board02/images/smiles/schmoller.gif
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 02:45 pm
Don't take Ratzenhofer. He was in New Orleans just before. . . . You guessed it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:02 pm
Don't worry roger, I want to have a few days of peace and quiet - anywhere gustav goes there is disaster written all over the place.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:07 pm
Just talked to Seaglass in Hilo on the Big Island. She said it was the most bizarre experience she's had in her life -- standing in the hallway and the floor ripling like waves under her feet, cars bouncing up and down in the driveway. The amazing thing, she said, was that nothing fell off the shelves, some lamps fell over but none of them shattered. In Hilo they didn't even loose power. She said she's heard things are a bit worse Kona-side. Dunno about the other islands. Oh yes -- she said the most unnerving thing was watching a huge banyan tree in her yard shaking like an aspen in a high wind, like a giant hand was shaking it. But there was no wind.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 11:29 pm
Good news about Seaglass - thanks for the update, MA.

Back somewhere around The Carter Years, I lived in the SF Bay area. I'd been in earthquake country before then, and had felt a few. However, the 1st Mrs Timber was but weeks away from the all-around stability of the Midwest in which she'd till that time spent her entire life - total culture shock for the poor woman. Anyhow, one afternoon she was taking a bath in the 2cnd floor bathroom when a moderate (5-point-something, if I recall) quake hit, centered just a couple miles from where we lived. The shaking was brief, but sharp and intense; bric-a-brac and books and the like went tumbling, some windows cracked, a couple broke and the glass fell out, overhead light fixtures and hanging plants were swinging madly ... and a good deal of her bathwater sloshed out of the tub, cascading down the stairs. Windows apart, there wasn't much real damage to our house or belongings, other than some clutter and mess easy enough to clean up. She was vastly less entertained by the whole deal than was I.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 03:24 am
The yitwails are in Hawaii. I hope all is well with them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:46 am
Me too. And I'm glad Seaglass is fine.

I've been in a bunch of earthquakes. Well, hundreds or thousands of little ones, but also a few biggies, though I wasn't ever right at the epicenter. Always a weird experience..

CJane, hope you have a wonderful vacation in any case.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
Akamu, I'd like a vodka martini, very dry, shaken, not stirred.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 11:49 am
Pics:

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=2&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=2&mediaid=66
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:09 pm
Thx for the links, cjhsa. Awesome! The miracle is there were no fatalities.
0 Replies