Should kids be taught combat in schools

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 08:47 am
Thanks for the links Blacksmithn. It is now obvious why gunga et al have not responded to the numbers question.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:08 am
Well, I don't expect a little thing like facts to deter them from their mania... but I thought it might help to give some perspective to those more rational or less panic stricken.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:20 am
edgarblythe wrote:
What, Montana? You don't agree that schoolkids ought to wear backpacks full of hand grenades, instead of books? I thought every responsible adult would want them to carry a shiv and learn how to gouge out a man's eyes. What; no tear gas, or socks full of nickles?

Sorry Edgar, I can't change the way I feel.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
littlek wrote:
That's why I came into this fray - to make a point that Merry just made. Teach them self-defense. Teach them conflict reslution. Teach them to be kinder and more empathic with their peers and communities. Do not teach them how to fight - it will instill fear and anxiety as well as provide food for brawls.

Yup!
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm
Montana wrote:
littlek wrote:
... Do not teach them how to fight - it will instill fear and anxiety as well as provide food for brawls.

Yup!

You ARE teaching these kids to speak French, I hope. Sounds like they're gonna need it.....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 12:59 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Montana wrote:
littlek wrote:
... Do not teach them how to fight - it will instill fear and anxiety as well as provide food for brawls.

Yup!

You ARE teaching these kids to speak French, I hope. Sounds like they're gonna need it.....

C'est une bonne idée!
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 01:38 pm
Now we're about to be conquered by the French?

Mon Dieu! C'est horrible!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:57 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
littlek wrote:
That's why I came into this fray - to make a point that Merry just made. Teach them self-defense. Teach them conflict reslution. Teach them to be kinder and more empathic with their peers and communities.

Do not teach them how to fight - it will instill fear and anxiety as well as provide food for brawls.

The function of a public school
is to dispense information,
such as the rules of math,
American history, English grammar,
geografy and fonetic spelling.

What u propose is BRAINWASHING
the citizens with the philosophy of YOUR choice.

That is an abuse.

Self defense is occasionally needed to sustain life
( the same as thay teach safe swimming ).
Have defensive classes ever instilled fear or anxiety ??
David

(all obnoxious bolding and coloring of text is David's)

THE main purpose of school is produce effective and useful citizens. That means we must teach them knowledge of facts as well as the means to think, problem solve, and make decisions by themselves. They need to understand also what the community is for, what the government is for, and what their role in society is (an effective and useful member of the smaller and larger community).

If you had taken the time to read my posts you'd see that I listed self-defense as a fine pursuit for students.

You may disagree and point out that in order to be a productive citizen, you need to be able to shoot a gun and be willing to kill somone who threatens to take your life of the lives of someone you can help. I would counter that agrument by saying that given appropriate training in how to be an effective citizen, students become more empathic, more secure in their role in society, and understand that they can effect change without shooting their peers. Sure, there are still nut cases beyond the high-school shooters (like the guy who shot the Amish girls), but they are so few and far between that a large-scale trainning effort to make combatants of our school children doesn't make sense to me.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2006 05:59 pm
Nor to many, many others.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:08 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Montana wrote:
littlek wrote:

Yup!

When all else fails, might as well pull out the cheap shots, eh ;-)
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:17 am
America is a fear-driven society. If there isn't a bogeyman you'll invent one.

First it was the French & Indian War - so the French were the bad guys.
Then it was the Brits! There are still Brits around.
Then it was the Indians again. Still Indians around.
Then the Brits again- War of 1812, which the Canadians won.
Then it was the Indians again, inclu. the Cherokees.
Then - the Mexicans. Still Mexicans around. They're coming back, to retake their conquered land.
Then - the Indians. Again. (1850's)
Then you turned on yourselves - the Civil (not very civil) War.
Then it was - Indians again. Including Sitting Bull and Geronimo, Chief Joseph.
Then - the Spanish. There are still Spanish.
Then the Germans. There are still Germans.
Then the Bolsheviks. Any Bolsheviks out there?
Then it was the Germans/Nazis. There are still Nazis. And Germans.
Then the Japanese. There are still Japanese. You probably own one of their cars.
Then the Communists and THE IRON CURTAIN. There are still Communist nations.
Now it's THE TERRORISTS!! And there will always be terrorists. Especially since the US supplies them with weapons and since america is the biggest terrorist country of them all and the biggest weapons supplier to rogue nations.

America was born in blood and will, most likely, die in blood.

Something americans have not learned:

Violence begets violence.
You don't shoot people you don't agree with. That is why America is viewed as so infantile by older societies, such as Iran. Or Iraq. Or Europe.
If you spent as much teaching peace as you spend on war, the world would be a better place. That is what children should be taught in school. Not how to kill people but how to get along in a world of 8 billion, where america is just a small fraction of that number.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:21 am
Interesting post.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:30 am
For just this once I (mostly) agree with pachelbel.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 09:49 am
It is a generalization with a lot of merit. Not everyone in a country thinks alike though. One gets weary of broad brush generalizations.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:05 am
ossobucco wrote :
"It is a generalization with a lot of merit. Not everyone in a country thinks alike though. One gets weary of broad brush generalizations. "

of course osso , you are absolutely right !
in our travels in the united states and overseas we have met many u.s. citizens and we have never been threatened by any of them - but have had a few surprises - but that's what travelling is all about .
speaking in general terms , we have found americans to be very polite and helpful .
when we go acrosss the border to watertown/NY for a daytrip , even u.s. custom's officers usually give us a friendly greeting .
personnel in stores and restaurants are always very friendly and helpful !

unfortunately , a few loudmouths can give many others a (slightly) bad name .

(when we are travelling and we see a bunch of germans together that are getting loud , mrs . h will usually say : "let's stay away from them , they are too noisy !" :wink:
we have also met quite a few very civilized germans over the years Laughing ).
hbg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:25 am
Intrepid wrote:
Why not just make it impossible for anyone to enter the schools?

that would certainly ensure a republican majority in DC ad infinitum......
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:29 am
Montana wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
What, Montana? You don't agree that schoolkids ought to wear backpacks full of hand grenades, instead of books? I thought every responsible adult would want them to carry a shiv and learn how to gouge out a man's eyes. What; no tear gas, or socks full of nickles?

sounds like the schools I went to....
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:58 pm
gunga wrote :
"You ARE teaching these kids to speak French, I hope. "

they might learn chinese first - see link .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With a Changing World Comes An Urgency to Learn Chinese

By Lori Aratani
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, August 26, 2006; Page A01

Pearl Terrell was so determined that her great-granddaughter Shayla begin learning Chinese that she spent two weeks this summer driving 100 miles a day from her home in West Virginia to a middle school in Frederick County so the soon-to-be fifth-grader could learn the language.

The U.S. government flew 10 teachers to Washington from China this month and gave them a five-day crash course in Dupont Circle on how to teach -- American-style -- before dispatching them to schools across the country. Although the number may seem small, the scramble to recruit and train these teachers for the start of this school year underscores the urgency the Bush administration is placing on establishing Chinese programs in U.S. classrooms.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was glad to learn that it is the united states government under the leadership of president bush that is encouraging the teaching of chinese in u.s. schools .
gunga might otherwise have suspected a leftist plot :wink: .
perhaps secretary rice will also be taking chinese lessons soon ?
hbg

...U.S. SCHOOLS TEACH CHINESE...
0 Replies