Any serious Christians left?

husker

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 07:40 pm
been overhauling my humor in the metaverse
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:35 am
timberlandko wrote:
A M, you overlook the simple fact that The Constitution guarantees Freedom of Religion for all - a circumstance which precludes any from imposing their religion on others. That which you advocate stands in contradiction to a bedrock principle of American Democracy, a principle written not merely in ink but in the blood of those who've given all to establish and defend The Constitution.

Of course, that such agenda would proceed from the demographic of which you are a constituant is unsurprising. Christians, not alone among relgigionists, pick, choose, and interpret from among their foundational writings as they see fit in light of whatever agenda they might at any one time care to press, and in the minds of such hypocrites, The Constitution provides no barrier to the agenda of the moment.

Of course as well, Freedom of Speech guarantees forum for the pressing of said agenda. That, however, in no way renders said agenda any less reprehensible.

And I pray it never will provide a barrier for it Timber. How in the world could I ask you to NOT vote your conscience no matter what it is based on? I can't and I don't think anyone can ask anyone else to either. This is not something that can be regulated.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:38 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
If God said something is wrong there is a reason for it. He didn't just make rules arbitrarily. The rules He made were for our benefit, though many don't see them that way I know.

I think that this is where we digress, intellectually. In order to comprehend what you have just written, I would have to believe:

There is a god.

He made rules for people to follow.

He made these rules for peoples' benefit.

I cannot make any sense of your premises.

What's so hard to make sense of Phoenix? If there is a supreme being wouldn't it naturally follow that He would make the rules that He would want us to live by? Wouldn't that be His right as the Creator? But like you said, first, you would have to believe there is a god.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 05:15 am
ArellaMae wrote:
If there is a supreme being wouldn't it naturally follow that He would make the rules that He would want us to live by?

Why? That is a mighty big assumption on your part!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:21 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
ArellaMae wrote:
If there is a supreme being wouldn't it naturally follow that He would make the rules that He would want us to live by?

Who else?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:12 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
ArellaMae wrote:

Is it phoenix? What's the difference between that and a parent setting rules to live by for their children?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:49 am
Parent/children. These folks see a God with a flowing beard, wearing a robe, walking around like John Huston or somebody. Mm mm.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 09:58 am
Not really edgar. But if we are talking about a Creator making rules to follow for those He created, it directly parallels parenthood. After all the parents in essence created the children and make the rules to follow in their best interest.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
As Phoenix said, I think, even if there had been a creator, what proof is there it/he/she devises rules for humans to follow? If it's not a god that's like a human, what interest would it have in our personal behavior?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:24 am
That's easy"

The bible.

and

The same interest a father has in his son.

Because He created us.

Mr. Green
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:41 am
Arella Mae wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
If God said something is wrong there is a reason for it. He didn't just make rules arbitrarily. The rules He made were for our benefit, though many don't see them that way I know.

I think that this is where we digress, intellectually. In order to comprehend what you have just written, I would have to believe:

There is a god.

He made rules for people to follow.

He made these rules for peoples' benefit.

I cannot make any sense of your premises.

What's so hard to make sense of Phoenix? If there is a supreme being wouldn't it naturally follow that He would make the rules that He would want us to live by? Wouldn't that be His right as the Creator? But like you said, first, you would have to believe there is a god.

I believe what miss P is pointing out is that these premises do not follow from eachother. Even if there was a god, what would compel it to create rules for us to follow? It would not be logically necessary for a deity to create rules for a deity to exist. Secondly, even were a deity to exist and henceforth create rules, it would not be logically necessary for those rules to be for 'peoples benefit'.These premise are naught but a string of non-sequiturs
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:43 am
Meaning, it's a God, who is much like an old man.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:51 am
Dr. S... You've got it. One statement does not follow logically from the other. Then again, the entire concept of a god, and what he "wants" makes absolutely no sense to me.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
edgarblythe wrote:

Well edgar, I'm starting to get the idea that somehow that is how you see God because that's sure not how I see him. :wink:
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 10:58 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Dr. S... You've got it. One statement does not follow logically from the other. Then again, the entire concept of a god, and what he "wants" makes absolutely no sense to me.

Exactly. To even lend any serious consideration to the latter two premises, you must first tackle the first..which is of course nonsensical to the highest degree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 12:02 pm
hephzibah wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Well edgar, I'm starting to get the idea that somehow that is how you see God because that's sure not how I see him. :wink:

He would have to be like that to be in the Bible, making up rules and having a son.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:04 pm
"I am sincerely asking because for me this did seem a very logical thought"

This is where the problem originates.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:07 pm
Of course, for me it would be a logical thought because I do believe in God and I believe that He created us and made the rules, etc. And, of course, I would think it is pretty logical for me to ask someone else what they meant when I don't understand what they meant. Hmmm, seems to me that's what a conversation is about? Exchanging ideas, thoughts, etc.? :wink:
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:17 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Of course, for me it would be a logical thought because I do believe in God and I believe that He created us and made the rules, etc. And, of course, I would think it is pretty logical for me to ask someone else what they meant when I don't understand what they meant. Hmmm, seems to me that's what a conversation is about? Exchanging ideas, thoughts, etc.? :wink:

I was having a conversation you know like exchanging ideas, thoughts with my neighbor this morning and she said to me "I saw the sun set in the west last evening and rise in the east this morning so, logically, I concluded that the sun circles the earth." I said "yeah, that's logical but it's also wrong."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 01:40 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I was having a conversation you know like exchanging ideas, thoughts with my neighbor this morning and she said to me "I saw the sun set in the west last evening and rise in the east this morning so, logically, I concluded that the sun circles the earth." I said "yeah, that's logical but it's also wrong."

Well, you gotta unnerstand that's only wrong from a heathen, materialist, heliocentric perspective founded in nothing more concrete than math, physics, astronomy, geology, and cosmology ... how can those silly, purely human constructs trump true faith as taught through divinely inspired scripture? Mr. Green
0 Replies