Any serious Christians left?

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:00 pm
Anyone want to talk the christian bible? For ..against..whatever? Is this against the law yet?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 33,982 • Replies: 970
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:02 pm
Hopefully, not against the law. Sadly, against the grain of many A2K members.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:06 pm
good luck with that
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2006 10:56 pm
Re: Any serious Christians left?
Jeremiah wrote:
Anyone want to talk the christian bible? For ..against..whatever? Is this against the law yet?

Against the LAW? Are you kidding.

With the new internet gambling legislation being passed, the recent addition of two very Christian friendly Supreme Court Justices, the law from April allowing Christian colleges to discriminate against students, the success of anti-evolution laws being passed in Kansas, etc, etc, etc,....I would say that the exact opposite is happening, much to my dismay.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 06:54 am
So it begins...

The thing about being against the law was obviously facetious.

The person just wonders if they can discuss the Bible here.

And it only took 3 posts for my doubt of that to be validated.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 07:28 am
Snood, Snood, Snood...........

I'm very disappointed. For one, I never stated that he couldn't talk about the bible. For two, he plainly asked for people who were either "for / against" the bible to feel free to talk. For three, jokingly or not, the "Is it against the law yet?" comment was completely unnesessary unless he was trying to make a point that he felt as though it was being challenged, which of course in the USA it isn't.

Get your panties out of a bunch.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:33 pm
Re: Any serious Christians left?
Jeremiah wrote:

I am neither for nor against 'the christian bible' but recognize it as what it is; a body of dogma and mythology. In that context I find the bible quite interesting.
The religions/s spawned from various exegetical interpretations of such though, that's a different story.
What precisely about the book did you wish to discuss?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:39 pm
which christian bible did you want to talk about?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:43 pm
Really be interesting to see an objective, non-partisan, scholarly discussion pertaining to matters and issues biblical. Ain't very likely to happen, though.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 01:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Really be interesting to see an objective, non-partisan, scholarly discussion pertaining to matters and issues biblical. Ain't very likely to happen, though.

Not so long as people that believe it literally true on any level are allowed to participate, anyway. The problem with believing something so abstract as the bible 'true' is the heavy amount of exegesis necessary to solidify the often times contradictory book into one 'true' message. The other problem is that the 'truth' arrived at by each believer (or sect of believers) is often times completely different than the 'other guys'.
No one standing in such a specious position can make honest claims to either objectivity or non-partisanship.
0 Replies

Bawb

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 02:07 pm
I know a guy in my town that is truely a Christian. I'll have to tell him about this forum, he's really an amazing person.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 03:24 pm
maporsche wrote:

I'm very disappointed. For one, I never stated that he couldn't talk about the bible. For two, he plainly asked for people who were either "for / against" the bible to feel free to talk. For three, jokingly or not, the "Is it against the law yet?" comment was completely unnesessary unless he was trying to make a point that he felt as though it was being challenged, which of course in the USA it isn't.

I wear boxer briefs, and I'm not the only one who has expressed skepticism about this discussion. So sorry for your disappointment.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 03:35 pm
snood wrote:
maporsche wrote:

I wear boxer briefs, and I'm not the only one who has expressed skepticism about this discussion. So sorry for your disappointment.

Get your boxer briefs out of a bunch, or pull them out of your ass, or whatever.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 04:23 pm
To answer your question, Jeremiah. It appears not.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 04:50 pm
Intrepid wrote:
To answer your question, Jeremiah. It appears not.

Talking about the bible is a very broad subject....if he truly wants to talk about something, maybe he should be more specific.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 05:58 pm
Before I dip my toe in this gator pool, I think I'll just read for a while.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
Beware of sharks
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
I would love to talk about the Bible. Where do you want to start?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
Doktor S wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Not so long as people that believe it literally true on any level are allowed to participate, anyway.

There's little doubt that there are some things in the Bible that YOU would agree are literally true, DS.

Also, you'd be hard pressed to find ANY Christian who believes that EVERY part of the Bible is LITERALLY true, since all Christians would agree that parts of it are parables, parts are symbolic, etc.

So the issue for anyone is not 'do you believe the Bible is literally true?' , but rather which parts are literal and which parts are not.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
I would love to talk about the Bible. Where do you want to start?

I suppose a good place to start would be an overview of Sumerian, Ugaritic, Arian, and Egypyian mythologies from around the 6th into the 2cd millenia BCE.
0 Replies