Heart Stopping Moment -- Plane Crashes Into Hi-Rise In NYC

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:03 pm
This afternoon, while my co-workers and I were going about our business, one of then suddenly called out, "A plane's just crashed into a high rise on 72nd Street!!"

We all went silent. Then the questions started flying, "What building?, Where was it again? Who was flying the plane?..."

It was like the worst nightmare ever was about to be rerun.

It turns out the plane was being flown by Yankee pitcher Cory Lidle, and although undoubtably tragic, the crash had nothing to do with a terrorist attack.

Anyone else hear about this? What was your reaction when you first heard?

Did your heart stop for a moment, and did you catch your breath, like I did?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 921 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:13 pm
I think Ticomaya posted this about 32 seconds after it happened:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84289&highlight=
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:15 pm
I just want to add that so far, two people have been confirmed dead (one of them Cory Lidle).

Miraculously, it sounds as if very few people were in the building at the time of the crash.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:19 pm
Thanks, Green Witch.

I'm beginning to think no private planes should be allowed to fly around the NY City limits.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:25 pm
He was not in a plane zone (helicopters yes, planes no). Planes have been flying around NYC since King Kong climbed the Empire State, and as far as I know this is the first accident concerning a residential building. I seem to recall a helicopter going into the East River once. Overall it's not a problem any bigger than when planes fly over any land mass. You also may not realize how many hundreds of large and small aircraft fly over and around the city everyday. You are much more likely to get killed by a taxi, a bus or some crazy person who forgot to take their meds.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:32 pm
I'm sure that's right, Green Witch. I was just feeling a little freaked out.

For a minute there, I thought the horror of 9/11 was going to happen all over again. Sad
0 Replies