Harry Reid cleaning up - And no one CARES

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:45 am
I think we need more information. Do we know how much his stake in the LLC was? If it was equivalent to the value of his land then, according to the IRS, it is not a taxable transaction. Also, we are not required to sell our property at the appraised value. If he wants to sell it at the same price he paid for it then he can. We know that he did it this way in order to not pay taxes on the transaction because that is a common thing to do when investing in land. He still paid taxes on the total profit when he sold it, so it doesn't really make any difference.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 10:48 am
Quote:
and avoid income tax on the sale

I haven't seen any allegations that Reid avoided paying any tax at all.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:06 am
okie wrote:
If the land is solely owned by Reid, then it is sold to an LLC which is not solely owned by Reid, how is that reported as the same, Parados? It was sold for shares in the LLC, not wholly owned by Reid. I would like to sell my property to an LLC for shares in an LLC with other owners and avoid income tax on the sale, so Mr. Lawyer, tell me how I can do that legally? Shares in an LLC have value, the same as cash.

Rush hasn't talked about this much besides in passing, and not about this aspect. I am simply trying to figure this out, using simple common sense.

An LLC doesn't have to have shares to begin with. It isn't required to. You are starting from a false assumption then running all over the place.

Start here..
http://www.corporate.com/entity-comparison.jsp

A couple of things to note

Quote:
The members typically contribute money or services to the LLC and receive an interest in profits and losses

In this case Brown and Reid each contributed property to the LLC
Quote:
The entity is not taxed (unless chosen to be taxed); profits and losses are passed through to the members
The property was an investment property. The IRS would have seen the property as not passing to anyone else's hands simply because it went from a private individual to a dba (doing business as) entity. Reid contributed property and was a member of the LLC. Lets look at this from a tax issue. Reid became a member of an LLC which has no monetary value. Reid had property worth $400,000. He sold that property to the LLC for $400,000. He would have to report the sale on his personal income tax but then he bought land in the LLC and would report the purchase on his income tax.
For tax purposes nothing happened. He had the same property he had to begin with. He could have sold the land for $1 or $1 million. The tax consequences would have been the same. The transaction is a wash because no matter what he "sold" it for no money changed hands and he retained control of the property through the LLC.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
and avoid income tax on the sale

I haven't seen any allegations that Reid avoided paying any tax at all.

Cycloptichorn

He would not have paid tax when transferring the land to the LLC at the same value at which he bought it. That's perfectly legal. He paid the tax with the final sale. There is nothing wrong with that aspect of it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 11:26 am
When the land sold in 2004, Reid reported the sale to Congress and we have to assume on his income tax. He told Congress it was land he personally owned. As far as the IRS was concerned, for tax purposes, it was land he personally owned. There is no allegation that Reid got more than what the land he had originally owned sold for.

The only issue really is about what he reported to Congress and whether it met the requirements. If misreporting to Congress is a crime then lets start with Delay and all the other people that recieved trips from Abramoff and didn't report them properly. I'm sorry but I don't think misreporting something to Congress is a huge problem unless they are hiding bribes. Reid wasn't hiding what he owned. Most of those that misreported trips weren't really hiding something. It is a tempest in a teapot.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:14 am
While Reid was making a "cool" one million on his sale, the Vice pr*ck has been making up to 10 or more million per year from his job at Halliburton. Ho ho ho and whyiyo is whining about a miserly one million.

Look at the bu$h family, their Saudi (9-11 murderers) friends and associates are raking in the kazillions from the Iraqi scam.

Leave it up to the dumbass republicans to whine, cry & screech about a paper that was filled out improperly while they are raking in cash by the truckloads, all over the bodies of several thousand of our own soldiers as well as hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi people.

Hey Wioyo, have you bothered to notice that almost 100 of our soldiers have died this month? Who knows how many have been maimed, crippled for life all because of an incompetent, bumbling idiot who lied this country into the illegal mess that has turned into a civil war?

I'm sure that if I look around this forum I will find glowing words of approval from you now that king george has totally p*ssed all over the Constitution with that stupid Tribunal law.

But Hey..... George is still a Christian, right? Hhehehehehe... yep and we know what he thinks of you nuts and bimbos who swallow that line!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:17 am
Magginkat wrote:
While Reid was making a "cool" one million on his sale, the Vice pr*ck has been making up to 10 or more million per year from his job at Halliburton. Ho ho ho and whyiyo is whining about a miserly one million.

Look at the bu$h family, their Saudi (9-11 murderers) friends and associates are raking in the kazillions from the Iraqi scam.

Leave it up to the dumbass republicans to whine, cry & screech about a paper that was filled out improperly while they are raking in cash by the truckloads, all over the bodies of several thousand of our own soldiers as well as hundreds of thousands of innocent Iraqi people.

Hey Wioyo, have you bothered to notice that almost 100 of our soldiers have died this month? Who knows how many have been maimed, crippled for life all because of an incompetent, bumbling idiot who lied this country into the illegal mess that has turned into a civil war?

I'm sure that if I look around this forum I will find glowing words of approval from you now that king george has totally p*ssed all over the Constitution with that stupid Tribunal law.

But Hey..... George is still a Christian, right? Hhehehehehe... yep and we know what he thinks of you nuts and bimbos who swallow that line!

So, apparently, the idiot that you are, feels that it is OK for Reid to make "a cool million". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:42 am
So, apparently, the idiot that you are, feels that it is OK for Reid to make "a cool million". Rolling Eyes

Capitalism is evil.?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:46 am
Reid paid $400,000 for the land. He sold it for 1.1 million.

I don't see how he made a cool million. No wonder people think what Reid did was wrong if they don't know the most basic thing about profit and loss in an investment.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:52 am
dyslexia wrote:

Capitalism is evil.?

This is NOT capitalism.
_After getting local officials to rezone the property for a shopping center, Brown's company sold the land in 2004 to other developers and Reid took $1.1 million of the proceeds, nearly tripling the senator's investment. Reid reported it to Congress as a personal land sale.

Think you can get you local zoning board to change somehting to benefit you?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 06:56 am
Its pretty easy to get things rezoned unless the community opposes it. The article that started this whole thing says right in it that rezoning was "common." It wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

The fact of the matter is that even if it hadn't been rezoned it still would have probably been worth the same amount it was sold for based on rising land prices in Vegas, a 38% increase followed by a 70% increase in land prices in 2 consecutive years.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:04 am
parados wrote:
Its pretty easy to get things rezoned unless the community opposes it. The article that started this whole thing says right in it that rezoning was "common." It wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

The fact of the matter is that even if it hadn't been rezoned it still would have probably been worth the same amount it was sold for based on rising land prices in Vegas, a 38% increase followed by a 70% increase in land prices in 2 consecutive years.

Sure, obviously Reid is an honest man. S simple man. A man of the people.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:18 am
Do you have some facts there woiyo? Or are you just going to take potshots that are outside reality?

Rezoning is not that hard. Developers do it all the time. It is news when it doesn't happen because it means a public fight with the local community. Its hardly news when they do get something rezoned.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 07:41 am
parados wrote:
Do you have some facts there woiyo? Or are you just going to take potshots that are outside reality?

Rezoning is not that hard. Developers do it all the time. It is news when it doesn't happen because it means a public fight with the local community. Its hardly news when they do get something rezoned.

Read the entire article from an objective perspective (if possible). Then ask yourself, "Why did he decide to amend his records to reflect the sale?".

Remember, developers PAYOFF POLITICIANS to get their "rezoning" done easilly.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:51 am
Whioyoo, when someone wrote the comment, "you must be as dumb as dirt", it must have been written about you.

How convenient you overlook the conflict of interest with Tricky Dicky #2, your buddy Cheney. He is hauling in money, hand over fist from Halliburton, and that's ok with you because he is in "your" party.

And Halliburton has been caught with their hands in the cookie jar too many times to count. Never mind that our soldiers are dying because of those greedy, thieving bastards. They're republican so that makes it ok.

You latch on to one stupid little piece of information and beat it to death, all the while voting to cut your own throat. Are you really so dense that you think you are going to be as rich as Cheney some day... that great American dream bullschitt?

This is the most corrupt administration in the history of this country, if not the world. Each and every day there is something new and it's 99 and 44/100% republican but nary a word from the likes of you.

Tell me, do you believe that any priest really molested Mark Foley?
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 09:59 am
I am really looking forward to an answer to the Foley question!

This should be good.
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:18 am
woiyo wrote:
parados wrote:

Read the entire article from an objective perspective (if possible). Then ask yourself, "Why did he decide to amend his records to reflect the sale?".

Remember, developers PAYOFF POLITICIANS to get their "rezoning" done easilly.

Paying off politicians is illegal. Do you have any evidence of this crime? Or is this just an attempt to smear without any facts.

Objectivity means you need some facts to back up your claim.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 10:19 am
Magginkat wrote:
Whioyoo, when someone wrote the comment, "you must be as dumb as dirt", it must have been written about you.

How convenient you overlook the conflict of interest with Tricky Dicky #2, your buddy Cheney. He is hauling in money, hand over fist from Halliburton, and that's ok with you because he is in "your" party.

And Halliburton has been caught with their hands in the cookie jar too many times to count. Never mind that our soldiers are dying because of those greedy, thieving bastards. They're republican so that makes it ok.

You latch on to one stupid little piece of information and beat it to death, all the while voting to cut your own throat. Are you really so dense that you think you are going to be as rich as Cheney some day... that great American dream bullschitt?

This is the most corrupt administration in the history of this country, if not the world. Each and every day there is something new and it's 99 and 44/100% republican but nary a word from the likes of you.

Tell me, do you believe that any priest really molested Mark Foley?

Be reminded, this post is about Sen Reid. I understaand how difficult is is for the mentally challenged to stay on a single topic, so try and keep to the subject of this post.

Unlike the sheep that you are, I am not a Republican nor a Democrat. "Simpletons" like you are free to sell themselves to either political party and stand behind those criminals you support.

Lastly, you do not possess the mental capacity to debate me. So go take your medication and do not operate any machinery.
0 Replies

Magginkat

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
DEBATE???? YOU????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/LaughingDog.gif

You couldn't debate a rock! Tell you what.... you want debate or just plain asskicking. Go to Google and join their groups and let's see how long you last. They are unmoderated so you can't go running to your 'mommy' like you do here when you get a royal asskicking.

Come on Coward.........
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2006 11:18 am
Magginkat wrote:
DEBATE???? YOU????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/Magginkat/LaughingDog.gif

You couldn't debate a rock! Tell you what.... you want debate or just plain asskicking. Go to Google and join their groups and let's see how long you last. They are unmoderated so you can't go running to your 'mommy' like you do here when you get a royal asskicking.

Come on Coward.........

Thank you for proving me correct again you dim bulb.

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies