0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:11 pm
OHHHH OKAY! Cool Cool Smile
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:23 pm
"Frustration as opposed to depression might underly suicide."

Might depression be a progression from frustration which then leads that individual to suicide? Most people give it another go after having been frustrated in their goals. Some resign those goals. A few take frustration as motivation to resign ultimately, but I don't think these individuals are acting on frustration alone when they've reached that point.

Anyway,
you got me thinking about the different motivations for suicide, and they are not all about depression. The suicide du jour isn't motivated by depression, but by a sense of greater accomplishment towards an end: the sacrifice of the self for the good of a larger cause.

So, I agree. Suicide is not generalizable.

I was referring to despondent suicide.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:29 pm
I think my avatar is sexy!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:38 pm
truth
Infrablue, As I recall the 19th century sociologist, Emile Durkheim, posited the existence of two (maybe there were three) types of suicide: altruistic suicide (your "self-suicide for a greater cause") and egoistic suicide (the boredom or despondency of the highly educated). The latter is what I had in mind: where a person's cultivated expectations fail him and he ends it all, in part because life is not enough for him (eunnui) and in part because he (with his expectations) was too much for life. In a sense one could say he killed himself because he loved (his concept of) life too much. I suspect this type is rarer than the other.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 09:42 pm
truth
I fear RedHorn is very bored.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:01 pm
Maybe I am...or maybe...I am! Besides there is not much beef to add to the topic of suicide. All I know that it takes a hell of a lot of guts to do so and a hell a lot of bowel movements afterwards!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 10:11 pm
truth
Speaking of guts, I had a friend, a lawyer who decided, after suffering for some time with ALS, an advanced prostrate cancer, and very severe osteoporosis, to blow his brains out. What a rational act!
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 11:10 pm
That's Horrible! Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
truth
Horrible, of course; but rational too.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:24 pm
My sister committed suicide, or rather, she tried. She was discovered in time to save her most rudimentary brain functions, and she lived as a vegetable for about twelve years untill complications set in from being bedridden so long. She started to develope circulation problems in her leg, so a doctor amputated it. She contracted an infection from the surgery and she died a couple of days later, finally.

She was a depressive.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:30 pm
truth
THAT was horrible. I feel for YOU; her pain has ended. Imagine the pain she could have avoided following my lawyer friend's example. Failed suicides can be ghastly in terms of brain damage.
0 Replies

THe ReDHoRN

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 10:43 pm
Nihilism, Depression same thread with different subjects? Unusual, however im sorry about the whole incident! Best of luck to you!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 04:40 pm
One comment about suicide:

It's a very permanent solution to a tempory problem.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 05:42 pm
not always easy to decide what is a temporary problem for others but it's always easy to judge.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 06:51 pm
May my sister's solution be truly permanent, whatever it might be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2003 07:44 pm
trth
Amen to that, Infrablue.
0 Replies