for nny ... <g>
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 9,224 • Replies: 116
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:27 am
Nihilsm is a set of gloomy ruminations on the human condition, posited as truth, and tarted up as philosophy, to console the adolescent and adults suffering from arrested development, that things are in fact much worse then they imagine, and justifying a puerile refusal to play nice with the society which shelters them.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:38 am
The dictionary definition:

ni·hil·ism

n.

1. Philosophy.
a. An extreme form of skepticism that denies all existence.
b. A doctrine holding that all values are baseless and that nothing can be known or communicated.

2. Rejection of all distinctions in moral or religious value and a willingness to repudiate all previous theories of morality or religious belief.

3. The belief that destruction of existing political or social institutions is necessary for future improvement.
also

4. Nihilism A diffuse, revolutionary movement of mid 19th-century Russia that scorned authority and tradition and believed in reason, materialism, and radical change in society and government through terrorism and assassination.

5. Psychiatry.
a. A delusion, experienced in some mental disorders, that the world or one's mind, body, or self does not exist.

But I kinda like Setanta's description! lol
0 Replies

anastasia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:02 am
fishin' ... thanks! <g>

setanta - are you saying it's a stage?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:07 am
Yes, and one from which some never emerge . . .
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:13 am
I looked it up, and apparently nih-i-lism is a condition whereby people just can't stop quoting lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:20 am
um Cav, you left out Firesign Theater.
"While the E always stands for excellence in my book, I think we are out of gas"
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:20 am
cavfancier wrote:
I looked it up, and apparently nih-i-lism is a condition whereby people just can't stop quoting lines from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Hmmm.. Well.. That certainly doesn't bode well for me!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Love the Firesign Theater....should have remembered...
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:42 pm
Nihilism, in my book, is the last stage before mankind will understand that everything is factually interconnected and that we all stem from a mysterious and inexplicable event; some call it Big Bang, others call it God.

Our interconnectedness is a scientific fact. There are no separate entities, not one is above the other, we all depend on each other to make it in the long run. This is scientifically true, and before you know it, you're writing ethics: ethics spontaneously builds on this physical interconnected reality, and so nihilism is objectively wrong.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2003 01:55 pm
Alt. sp. Nae-hill-ism: A fear of golfing in the rocky Scottish Highlands
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 05:48 pm
Wolf, I hate to point this out; but:

You have just announced three things as facts which are theories or beliefs.
"An inexplicable event" (singularity) may never have happened.
The singularity depends upon a view of time and space that may not agree with observation.

"The Big Bang- Expanding Universe" theories also have serious difficulties in the observation department. In reading some 50 books on the subject I have never found anybody that actually did the math.

" The "Creator-Creation" theory also has serious difficulties on the observation department. I have never found anyone who knew a "God" outside of his dreams and imaginations.
( I knew Dolly Parton in that manner but I try not to confuse facts with wishes and dreams) It's very easy to do, believe me! Smile

I have elaborated a bit more on A2Ks "worst sin" thread. and would love to pursue it till I find someone competent to explain the arithmetic.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 08:49 am
Naw; nihilism is a rare tropical disease found in some persons who have been swimming in a North African river! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:35 pm
I like Setanta's definition best.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 08:58 am
So do I; but there's no way I would admit it!

And, about that "stage" thing.......
One could say (and you can quote me) all of a2k's a stage!
BoGoWo, June 2003.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:00 am
BoGoWo wrote:
And, about that "stage" thing.......
One could say (and you can quote me) all of a2k's a stage!
BoGoWo, June 2003.

In more than one way even.. A stage of life? or a stage for our "grand performances"? Take yer pick.. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:09 am
Go, Mech. I like that post.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 09:14 am
Yep, well worthy of the "stage"!

You get an official "Dolly" pardon! Twisted Evil
0 Replies

akaMechsmith

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 07:00 pm
Thanx Fellows
0 Replies

Dux

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:48 am
Here's something to meditate about, is the psychiatric definition correct?, what I mean what if it wasn't a disease, what if those persons had a more clear view of their own existence, wouldn't they be some steps ahead of us in the quest of understing our important, yet insignificant existence? Question
0 Replies