what is nihilism?

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:16 pm
It's only a problem for those who are spooked by "I don't know / I am unimportant."

And, as far as I am concerned, science is anything but prosaic, however you might intend the plural of the word. I find it alarming that people need some supernatural threat or connection to figure out how to treat people.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:17 pm
Though, honestly, I haven't bothered to read up on this thread. Just crashing boorishly about cyberspace, as I am sometimes wont to do.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:20 pm
I found science to be a great relief in my puberal quest for the things that mattered. I wondered about what those things were for quite a long time. I admit education plays an important part in this.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:23 pm
Well, I hope you found something that mattered at the end of it...
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:32 pm
I sure did, you may read this thread to find out. Quite some interesting ideas here.

Maybe I'm even suffering from an ethical overdose sometimes (the avater rant). Should lighten up...
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:35 pm
wolf wrote:
I used to be a staunch nihilist myself. Until I discovered something: the existence of free will. Your free will is what creates novelty, what creates evolution, what shapes the world into what it is. The universe changes because of it. This gives you and me a responsibility, there's no way around it, because what you do with that free will is influencing the whole thing.

Yeah, but what influenced things before willful beings such as ourselves evolved? Do bacteria have free will? Does life without sentience have meaning?

wolf wrote:
'doctrine that nothing has real existence'

A profound observation. If it weren't for the realness of "nothing" (what appears to be a vacuum in space is actually seething with energy and virtual particles), we wouldn't be here.

wolf wrote:
Nihilism says "Who Cares?" and spits at the world. Taoism says "Who Cares?" and smiles and plants a tree. ...

Avatars also diminish the gravity of our arguments. In short, there is just no reason for them to exist except for the need to get attention.

Why snarl at our carefully chosen avatars that often say more about us than our screen names? Just laugh at our foibles, and keep seeking until you find a suitable one for yourself. :wink: The astronaut (a painting by Alan Bean entitled "Reaching for the Stars") reflects my interest in cosmology without announcing gender, location or other personal info.

IMO, the willingness of mankind to devote time, money and lives to explore space is the ultimate repudiation of nihilism.

Not that such a pointless philosophy could ever be taken seriously by anyone who cares!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:49 pm
I sympathize entirely with what you're saying. And my answer precedes your post. Surprised
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
Bite me, Frank . . .

No ! No, no ! ! ! Wait ! ! !

Bite us, Frank . . .

Uhhhh...did you mean that in the Biblical sense?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 06:06 pm
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .

okbye
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 10:32 pm
Terry!:

"[the realness of "nothing"]"Idea

well obviously that would appeal to me, but I think you have hit upon the actual point where "art" meets "science".

quite a beautiful metaphor/image/concept!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 09:41 pm
Well, nothingness is physically real, but only for an infinitely small amount of time. Energy fluctuations seethe into reality from apparent nothingness. Ask those troubled scientists at CERN. Confused
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 07:15 am
Perhaps not wolf; maybe nothingness is the preferred state of being (or should I say "not" being, and perhaps our eruption into space time is a blip in the real "steady state" of "X"istence!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2003 08:41 am
Nothingness, as far as the scientific standpoint on the creation of this universe is concerned: present cosmological models think that the vacuum is never really empty -- there is always a residual temperature even beneath -273°C. So nothingness would only exist as an inherent effect within any fluctuation of energy. Not by itself.

But beyond our universe: who knows? You could be right.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
I think of "nothingness" as a place; ultimate minimalism; stripped of "everything".
It is a place where absolutely nothing, anything!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
A soothing thought. Concentrate on nothing -- ban all upcoming ideas -- for 15 minutes and you feel refreshed. Some call it meditation :wink:
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 11:18 pm
It's impossible, at least for me to stop those "thingies".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:52 am
Call it, rather, mediation. A negotiation between the conscious and unconscious self, calling for both to take a brief time out.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 04:14 pm
How can you stop them? They go so fast and so many at that.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:05 pm
First, breathe calmly for as much time as is necessary to become calm, detached, yet clearly conscient. Close your eyes, and, while remaining in this state, focus on an imaginary point near the centre of your forehead. Every thought that comes popping up -- every thought -- you friendly ignore. Try merely to be content. Keep this balanced state up for a good 20 minutes.
0 Replies

NNY

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:28 pm
Impossible, detatched and calm, together, insane.
0 Replies