what is nihilism?

NNY

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:53 pm
Flautas are good.

Some band like sonic garden or something like that once had a song that went "cherry cola" and it always made me want to say chimichonga instead.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:56 pm
I knew a woman of about my age from Paris who had been a big Kinks fan in the days before she learned English. When the song You Really Got Me was popular, she would sing roule le gamin, which sounds much the same in French, and means nothing, really, but could be stretched to mean "roll over the raggamuffin (boy)" . . . we went to a Kink's concert once, and at the end, when they were doin' requests and encores, we sang roule le gamin with great gusto . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 12:49 am
I might be wrong, but that's one ugly dog you got there.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 08:34 am
Ugliness is in the eyes of the "bitch"!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:11 am
I wonder just how "beautiful" you'd be if someone shaved your head, and then photographed you from directly overhead. At any event, i like the dogatar because of the goofy grin, and because i happen to be particularly fond of that specific doggy.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:29 am
If the expression looking down is equivalent to the one looking up, there's really something there!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:58 pm
I don't like avatars, especially not with domestic animals as representations. But that's grumpy old me.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 11:43 am
Hey wolfy; forget the avatar; put in a picture! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2003 05:40 pm
I think they iconize us too reductively. I'm sure you, of all forum members, can appreciate what I mean.

Avatars also diminish the gravity of our arguments. In short, there is just no reason for them to exist except for the need to get attention. I have foresaken that need some time ago. Took me great efforts to arrive at that, being only child and all.

So no avatars or other pictorials for this energy pattern here, thanks. Smile
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:56 am
But you guys go ahead, I admit avatars can be funny.

However, I hope our presence here in this unending cybernetic community is about more than fun Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:24 am
wolf wrote:
Avatars also diminish the gravity of our arguments.

Oh, heaven forfend . . . Rolling Eyes

Quote:
In short, there is just no reason for them to exist except for the need to get attention. I have foresaken that need some time ago. Took me great efforts to arrive at that, being only child and all.

Some things are self-evident . . .

Quote:
However, I hope our presence here in this unending cybernetic community is about more than fun

You sure your own reason for participation here has nothing to do with "the need to get attention"? Seems to me that this is precisely what you intend . . .

I'll be havin' all the fun i can have here, and if the notion moves me to put something serious in, i'll do that as well . . . how very pompous of you this all is . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
I admit my post seemed overly old-fashioned, but pompous? I could hit that ball right back at you and call avatars childish. It's a matter of opinion, and to give mine is precisely what I'm here for.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:01 pm
Given the choice between pomposity and childishness, i'll take childishness everytime. "The need to get attention" . . . ain't you cute . . . buy a vowel, Wolf, everyone is here to get attention. How long would you stick around if no one responded to your posts? People change their avatars, they comment upon them to one another--it's another aspect of community here. You just keep comin' for all the "seriousness" you can find, and the rest of us will have fun, without caring about your judgmental attitudes toward what pleases us . . .
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:22 pm
Hey, no offense intended my friend.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 03:23 pm
None taken, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:20 pm
Whew! I'm glad of that.

Don't know what would have happened if offense had been intended and taken.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
Bite me, Frank . . .

No ! No, no ! ! ! Wait ! ! !

Bite us, Frank . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 04:47 pm
man, is this thing about nothing still going on? i mean, seriously -- really, truly seriously, with all the seriousness i can muster (all the good in the world you could fit inside a thimble / and still have room for you and me, says Woyzeck via mr. thomas waits) -- who cares?
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:10 pm
Nihilism, patiodog, is precisely the most absorbed ideology of modern times. Classic monotheistic explanations have been increasingly overshadowed by the prosaics of science, and together with their epistemological values were cast away their ethical values. Since then, mankind is searching for new ethic standards, new beliefs, new meanings. The majority of people -- myself included, once -- have come to think there are none. That's nihilism.
Together with the 'meaning of life'-thread, this subject is rather fundamental for the way in which we see the world, our presence, and the the (non-)sense of our actions.

I'm proposing that there are to be found common grounds for ethics within the heart of our modern science.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 05:12 pm
I'm proposing that if ethics are not bred in the boy, they won't be present in the man . . . discarding superstition-based morality does not mean that one need do without an ethical standard . . .
0 Replies