Cheney. Cheney next.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 04:06 pm
I'm thinking Bolton, the UN guy.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 19 Nov, 2006 05:39 am
He would be good too, and let's not forget Rove.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:02 am
There was a reference to Khadr earlier in this thread.
The case has been followed fairly closely in Canada.

Quote:
Charges against Khadr dropped Sheldon Alberts, CanWest News Service

Published: Monday, June 04, 2007

* U.S. NAVAL BASE GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba -- A U.S. military judge on Monday dismissed all terrorism charges against Canadian Omar Khadr after ruling the Bush administration's new war crimes tribunals lacked jurisdiction to hear his case.

link

Quote:
The stunning decision throws the controversial U.S. military commission into turmoil yet again and prompted immediate calls for the White House to scrap the controversial tribunals.

But despite the dismissal of Khadr's charges, the 20-year-old Canadian will remain behind bars at the American military base here. The judge ruled his decision should not prejudice future charges against the Toronto-born detainee, and the U.S. retains the right to hold him indefinitely as an "enemy combatant."

In his decision, Col. Peter Brownback ruled he could not hear Khadr's case because legislation passed by Congress last year establishing the military commissions requires that only "unlawful enemy combatants" face trial.

Quote:
In essence, Brownback ruled he could not hear the case because there had been no proper determination by the Pentagon whether Khadr was engaged in legal combat under the laws of war.

"The significance of this ruling today was enormous," said Col. Dwight Sullivan, the chief military defence lawyer for Guantanamo detainees.

The decision left U.S. military prosecutors scrambling to respond. They asked the military judge for 72 hours to decide whether to appeal the decision, but because the military tribunals are still in their infancy, no court of appeal has yet been established.

0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:31 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
I'm thinking Bolton, the UN guy.

And there he goes.....
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 05:59 am
This year in January, the Pentagon retired Major General Antonio Taguba, aged 57. Taguba is the general who discovered the rampant prisoner abuse in Abu Gharib and wrote a whistle-blowing report about the scandal. Apparently, after someone linked his report to the New Yorker, Taguba was treated to all kinds of chicanery by Donald Rumsfeld, Paul Wolfowitz, and their aids.

The Pentagon gave no reason for retiring Taguba early.

Did any of you catch this when it happened? I sure didn't. I only got the news today on Doonesbury.com, which links to a New Yorker articleon the issue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:13 am
I did .... since I first started a thread about what he intially wrote. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:17 am
Good job, Walter. Apparently I have been a sloppy reader on this one. Did you know about the early retirement, too?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:18 am
Yeap. But I admit to have first read about that in Der Spiegel and the Süddeutsche.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:23 am
Why are you reading such un-American publications? Are you an evildoer who hates America for its freedoms?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 06:44 am
Psssscht! (They winked me through at Customs again, and I wasn't questioned longer than ten seconds by Homeland Security this time.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 01:35 pm
you germans think early retirement is a disgraceful thing , don't you ?
i retired early and didn't do no nuttin ! Laughing
i didn't leak any secrets about the life-insurance industry , honest !
perhaps i should consider writing a "tell all book" ? :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:23 am
It is in the nature of "news we're not hearing" that we're not hearing until long after they've ceased being news. I hit into such a piece of old news today when I surfed through the pages of the "Martin Luther King Papers Project" at Stanford University. On one of those pages, Clayborne Carson, the editor of King's collected papers, says that in their research, he and his team found that Martin Luther King had plagiarized much of his Ph.D thesis and his other academic writings. King had extensively copied material, often verbatim, from a fellow doctoral student at Boston University, who had submitted his thesis earlier. Here are some excerpts from Carson's article.

Clayborne Carson wrote:
[O]ur annotation research produced findings that, in the view of some, undermined King's historical reputation. Our discovery of extensive plagiaries in King's academic papers affected every aspect of our work by raising new questions about the biographical and historical significance of many of the documents we had selected for inclusion. [...]

Although we discovered the first indication of plagiarism in 1988, we kept the information within the project until staff members could determine the extent of the "problem." The search for plagiaries in King's dissertation and dozens of his academic papers required careful textual analysis, involving the examination of thousands of pages of potential source texts. When the editors concluded that the issue of plagiarism would require revisions in the project's research strategy and publication schedule, we began discussing our options with persons outside the project. One evening in September 1989, 1 met with Mrs. Coretta Scott King at her home to inform her of our findings, and, the following month, I met at the King Center with members of the projects advisory board. At these meetings, the editors proposed that the plagiarism issue be discussed fully in a scholarly article that would appear before the publication of the initial volume of the King papers. The editors hoped that this plan would enable us to release a statement on our plagiarism discovery while also allowing us to delay publication of the first volume until we had completed the vast amount of annotation research that the discovery made necessary. [...]

Our efforts to control the initial release of news regarding the plagiarism finding came to an end when a reporter for the Wall Street journal began investigating a lead about the plagiarism finding. When others in the news media gave prominence to the story, some critics immediately challenged our motives.-' Were we trying to harm King's reputation? Had we delayed releasing our findings in order to protect King? We tried as best we could to defend ourselves by explaining that our objective "was not to determine whether King violated academic rules [but] to assemble evidence regarding the provenance of King's papers and to make this evidence available to readers of our edition." We knew, however, that our task involved determining the significance as well as the extent of King's plagiaries, and thus we were forced to confront some of the questions mentioned above. [...]

When our research was published in June 1991 in the Journal of American History, the article made clear that King's plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings. Although the plagiaries in the dissertation were less egregious than the press reports had suggested, they were more extensive throughout King's papers than had been reported. We found that instances of textual appropriation can be seen in his earliest extant writings as well as his dissertation. The pattern is also noticeable in his speeches and sermons throughout his career.

Whatever else this is, it is very interesting news to me. I'm sure I didn't read about it in the early 1990s, when Carson first discovered King's pervasive plagiarism, and when the story should have made a big splash. Carson says the Wall Street Journal and other newspapers reported the story. But did any of you catch the news at the time? Am I totally dense for having missed it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:38 am
He wasn't an angel.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 09:48 am
littlek wrote:
He wasn't an angel.

Yeah, but my civics teacher in high school made it look like he was. And what I learned later were harmless womanizing affairs, which I didn't care about. I think public opinion in America gets way too hung up with those anyway. Did you hear about the plagiarizing stuff at the time?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:30 pm
Well, I remember that this was a big discussion 15 (or more) years ago.

And a quick google-search can give the details.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:42 pm
Okay, so I was being dense. Thanks, Walter, for clearing that up and ruining my evening.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2007 01:51 pm
Thomas wrote:
Okay, so I was being dense. Thanks, Walter, for clearing that up and ruining my evening.

Well, that's nothing I intended to do, Thomas.

Perhaps you were just too young to read such in those days ...
0 Replies