The News We're Not Hearing

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:47 pm
littlek wrote:
Finn is swamping the thread in much the same way as the news gets swamped by other more stupid and meaningless stories.

So, you feel that when you come onto a thread I started and start to act like a pain in the butt, that I should just ignore you? Fat chance buddy.

How butch of you littlek.

In fact I neither think you should nor hope you will ignore me. That would truly be silly. I merely pointed out that this is your option if you feel my comments are not worthy of a response. I deliberately refrained from accusing you of any nefarious intent and took great pains not to make my comments personal towards you. I regret that you, obviously, took them that way, but it does not undermine the comments themselves.

If you truly believe that my design or simply my effect was to bury the jewel of your observation in stupid and meaningless commentary then even so there remains a lesson to be learned by your response and those of others.

What makes the media inundate us with salacious stories of dubious public importance? We like them. We increase their ratings when they dish them out to us. Obviously certain posters in this thread, irrespective of how meaningless they believe my posts to be, like to respond to them. Oh, I suppose some may contend that they find it their civic duty to call me out, but that is really so much crap. They enjoy mixing it up and I gave them what they thought was an easy target.

My commentary may not have been in lock step with your vision for this thread but so what? Since when has there been an inviolate rule that thou must not riff on a original posting? The simple fact remains that I was happy to limit my observations to my first. You felt the need to respond. Good for you! I suppose my mistake was in not realizing that inherent in your response was the command to cease and desist. I mistakenly took it as an invitation to debate. How dense of me.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:48 pm
Advocate wrote:
Under this administration, the slums of the world, including the United States, will soon double.

October 9, 2006 at 09:28:04

Explosive World Slum Population Expected to Double

by Sherwood Ross

http://www.opednews.com

WORLD SLUM POPULATION TO DOUBLE

So now besides all the other things Bush is to blame for, he is now declared to be the cause of all the slums in the world?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 08:51 pm
squinney wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
Um, Squinney and the Bear are celebrating an anniversary. 18 years. There were no fireworks, but a chemical waste facilility just outside of Raleigh NC, their town, exploded. I thought that was significant.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I hadn't connected the two other than that there's a sweet little Italian restaurant in Apex that we had wanted to check out that evening. Chose Melting Pot instead.

(And, Finn, THAT news has not been reported anywhere. )

I'm sure it hasn't. It now remains to be understood why it ever should have been. Cool
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2006 09:38 pm
okie wrote:
Advocate wrote:
Under this administration, the slums of the world, including the United States, will soon double.

October 9, 2006 at 09:28:04

Explosive World Slum Population Expected to Double

by Sherwood Ross

http://www.opednews.com

WORLD SLUM POPULATION TO DOUBLE

So now besides all the other things Bush is to blame for, he is now declared to be the cause of all the slums in the world?

Nope. What Advocate merely said was that under this administration, the slums of the world will soon double.

You're saying that Advocate stated that because of this administration, the slums of the world will soon double.

However, that statement would most likely constitute a cum hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy, unless Advocate could show us how the Bush administration actually caused the slums of the world to double.

What you are in the course of doing, on the other hand, is setting up another straw man in misrepresenting Advocate's statement to say something he never said.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:09 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
squinney wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:
Um, Squinney and the Bear are celebrating an anniversary. 18 years. There were no fireworks, but a chemical waste facilility just outside of Raleigh NC, their town, exploded. I thought that was significant.

Sorry, I'm just now seeing this. I hadn't connected the two other than that there's a sweet little Italian restaurant in Apex that we had wanted to check out that evening. Chose Melting Pot instead.

I'm sure it hasn't. It now remains to be understood why it ever should have been. Cool

Let me try to enlighten you. It was repoerted by real john boy in a light hearted well meaning way with absolutely no mean spirited or shitty intentions. Of course you wouldn't understand it.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:33 am
What in the hell happened to this thread? I left it at its inception, when it was light and airy and full of frivolity, and I return to a battlefield. Carnage reigns supreme and the smell of death hangs heavy in the air.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:37 am
That's very poetic, gus.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:40 am
Piss off fin, you'r a WOFTAM

and you smell!
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 09:52 am
Okie, Old Europe, the article, to which I linked, provides reasons that the world's slums are doubling. Am I somehow required to repeat the reasons.

But there is no doubt that our plutocracy is growing, which will economically decimate the middle class and reduce most people to the status of serfs in the employ of the super rich. Krugman and others have discussed this ad nauseam, and it is sad to me that so few people show any concern.

The income and benefits of the working class have been greatly reduced. Corporations are thriving by learning how to reduce wages and benefits. Most of the new jobs in the country are in health care. This is not a high-paying area, and certainly doesn't increase the wealth of the country.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 03:43 pm
Where is Gus? We need him to come in with some whimsical quip about how, I dont know, this thread was so light and airy and full of frivolity, and how it's now just turned into a battlefield. Something poetic, with carnage reigning supreme and the smell of death hanging heavy in the air. Something like that. <nods>
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 04:42 pm
Jocularity. Republican steam room http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/October2006/101006pers.htm
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
The 30-year-old traditional festival of eel-"bowling" in the fishing village of Lyme Regis, England, was canceled in July after complaints from an animal rights activist that it was disrespectful to eels. In the ritual, teams of anglers stand on platforms and swing a giant (but dead) conger eel, attached to the ceiling, to see who will be the last person standing. Said a spokesman for the charitable event, which raises money for lifeboat crews, "But it's a dead conger, for Pete's sake. I shouldn't think the conger could care one way or another." [Reuters, 7-29-06]
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:29 pm
In an August rafting tournament on the Vuoksa River near St. Petersburg, Russia, which used only inflatable dolls of the kind typically sold in adult boutiques, Igor Osipov, 40, was disqualified upon finishing the race when (according to a report by Moscow News) observers "saw signs of recent sexual activity on (Osipov)'s doll." [Moscow News, 8-28-06]
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 06:30 pm
(1) WEWS-TV in Cleveland reported in August that the pregnancy rate among girls at Timken High School in Canton, Ohio, was 13 percent, despite the fact that the school's athletic teams are known as the Trojans. (2) Police Chief Michael Chitwood of Daytona Beach, Fla., reported that his house was burglarized in August during the time he was speaking to a Neighborhood Watch group on crime prevention. (3) In August, Kosco, a police dog assigned to the Watertown, N.Y., force, was the first cop on the scene to bring down Mark A. Adams, 22, who had eluded officers for seven hours after violating probation for cruelty to his pet dog. [WYFF-TV (Greenville, S.C.)-AP, 8-15-06] [WMGH-TV (Orlando), 8-20-06] [WWTI-TV (Watertown, N.Y.), 8-1-06]
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:35 pm
That's the spirit, Bear. Get this thread to where it belongs.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:42 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
squinney wrote:
realjohnboy wrote:

Let me try to enlighten you. It was repoerted by real john boy in a light hearted well meaning way with absolutely no mean spirited or shitty intentions. Of course you wouldn't understand it.

As you understand?

There was nothing mean-spirited about by response. I'm sorry you took it that way, but then I, apparently, don't understand the light hearted. Perhaps it is not fair to ask, but consider your reaction to the comment if was not made by me.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 07:44 pm
Good grief, I even used a smiley face Cool

Do I have their usage wrong? I though if you wanted to be shitty or mean-spirited you used something like Twisted Evil
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 10 Oct, 2006 10:47 pm
Advocate wrote:
Okie, Old Europe, the article, to which I linked, provides reasons that the world's slums are doubling. Am I somehow required to repeat the reasons.

But there is no doubt that our plutocracy is growing, which will economically decimate the middle class and reduce most people to the status of serfs in the employ of the super rich. Krugman and others have discussed this ad nauseam, and it is sad to me that so few people show any concern.

The income and benefits of the working class have been greatly reduced. Corporations are thriving by learning how to reduce wages and benefits. Most of the new jobs in the country are in health care. This is not a high-paying area, and certainly doesn't increase the wealth of the country.

Tell me Advocate, if this country was suffering so bad, how come the number of fat people are on the increase?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:29 am
Okie - why don't you do a bit of research on nutrition/weight etc. Some of your questions are readily answered with a tiny bit of research.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2006 05:58 am
In the midst of violence and despair in Baghdad, at least two institutions are working smoothly, according to September stories in, respectively, The Washington Post and Los Angeles Times. "Iraq Star," an "American Idol"-type reality TV show, attracted 10,000 contestants for 45 slots in filming at the downtown Baghdad Hotel, and will be shown locally and around the Arab world. Other reality-style shows are in the works. Second, the almost 3,500 Baghdad traffic officers still command high respect despite the city's other problems. Said an engineer, "The traffic law is the only thing nowadays that functions correctly." In fact, the Web site of the Shi'ite Grand Ayatollah Ali al-Sistani contains a query whether it is permissible, even when a driver has the street all to himself, to violate traffic laws; the ayatollah's answer is no. [Providence Journal-Washington Post, 9-10-06] [Boston Herald-Los Angeles Times, 9-10-06]
0 Replies