Pelosi's 'hundred hours'

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:14 am
Here's a little preview of what the future is going to be like, if things keep going the way the have been:

Quote:
Pelosi Says She Would Drain GOP 'Swamp'

By DAVID ESPO
The Associated Press
Friday, October 6, 2006; 1:58 AM

WASHINGTON -- Franklin Roosevelt had his first hundred days.

House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi is thinking 100 hours, time enough, she says, to begin to "drain the swamp" after more than a decade of Republican rule.

As in the first 100 hours the House meets after Democrats _ in her fondest wish _ win control in the Nov. 7 midterm elections and Pelosi takes the gavel as the first Madam Speaker in history.

Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

Day Two: Enact all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Time remaining until 100 hours: Raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, maybe in one step. Cut the interest rate on student loans in half. Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds _ "I hope with a veto-proof majority," she added in an Associated Press interview Thursday.

All the days after that: "Pay as you go," meaning no increasing the deficit, whether the issue is middle class tax relief, health care or some other priority.

To do that, she said, Bush-era tax cuts would have to be rolled back for those above "a certain level." She mentioned annual incomes of $250,000 or $300,000 a year and higher, and said tax rates for those individuals might revert to those of the Clinton era. Details will have to be worked out, she emphasized.

"We believe in the marketplace," Pelosi said of Democrats, then drew a contrast with Republicans. "They have only rewarded wealth, not work."

"We must share the benefits of our wealth" beyond the privileged few, she added.

Pelosi, 66, has been a leader of the House Democrats since 2002. But her political apprenticeship dates to childhood, when her father was mayor of Baltimore.

Now, her political base is about as liberal as it gets, San Francisco. It's a fact that Republicans love to emphasize to voters who might want to visit, but not feel comfortable living there.

Republicans find her an attractive political target, and recently said she would try to "cut-and-run" from Iraq while "launching bitter partisan investigations" of the Bush administration, possibly including impeachment hearings.

A grandmother five times over, Pelosi pops chocolates, shuns coffee and flashes her wit. Asked what offices should would occupy if in the Capitol if she becomes speaker, she laughed. "I'll have any suite I want."

She would, too.

"If the election were held today we'd be successful," Pelosi predicted, claiming that her party's prospects are expanding as the campaign enters its final month. "So many other races are emerging right now," she said.

Democrats must gain 15 seats to regain the majority they lost in 1994, and have candidates in competitive races for 30 or so Republican-held seats, according to strategists in both parties. By contrast, only about a handful of Democratic-controlled seats appear ripe for possible Republican takeover.

Democrats have a pamphlet that lists all their promises and have run through several slogans in the past year or so as they test campaign messages. In recent days, Pelosi said, their prospects have improved by the discovery that former Republican Rep. Mark Foley of Florida had sent sexually explicit computer messages to teenage male pages.

Not long before sitting down for a lunchtime interview, she turned down a suggestion from Speaker Dennis Hastert that they jointly appoint former FBI Director Louie Freeh to recommend improvements in the page program.

"That was about protecting their majority" rather than the pages, she said dismissively.

Instead, she wants to put Hastert and other Republicans under oath and make them say what they knew of Foley's actions, when they learned it and what they did to stop him.

The potential for political gain is clear to her.

"It's an opportunity for growth among women" for the Democrats, she said. "They don't always vote and this could be a motivation."

With married women, in particular, it's a huge issue, she added.

Among older voters, too.

"If there's an ethical issue, seniors take a hike" and abandon politicians they blame, she said.

"If we hold onto seniors we win the election."
© 2006 The Associated Press

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/06/AR2006100600056_pf.html

Let's see:

Day One: Put new rules in place to "break the link between lobbyists and legislation."

NO problem there. Does anyone have a problem with this?

Day Two: Enact all the recommendations made by the commission that investigated the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Once again, who could have a problem with this?

Time remaining until 100 hours: Raise the minimum wage to $7.25 an hour, maybe in one step.

That would be nice, though I've heard the arguments that this won't help anyone out; I think those arguments are full of crap, written by people who never had to work two or three jobs in their life.

Cut the interest rate on student loans in half.

As someone who is paying these loans back, and suffering the murderous cost of higher education these days, I am 100% behind this.

Allow the government to negotiate directly with the pharmaceutical companies for lower drug prices for Medicare patients.

Just fixing the legistlative mess the Republicans left. Great job on the unfunded nanny piece of legistlation there, btw, Republicans.

Broaden the types of stem cell research allowed with federal funds _ "I hope with a veto-proof majority,"

A consistent political winner. There is popular support for this across the board, except for the fundies and freaks on the Right.

All the days after that: "Pay as you go," meaning no increasing the deficit, whether the issue is middle class tax relief, health care or some other priority.

Something that should have been done looong ago.

I heard Al Franken on MSNBC the other night, and he said something I'd like to quote:

Quote:
The Republican party... isn't conservative. Not at all. Even Republicans will admit that. No, they are a Radical party. In fact, the Democratic party is both the Liberal party AND the Conservative party in America these days.

Too true.

Cycloptichorn
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,243 • Replies: 36
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:27 am
This ding-bat can't clean her own house, never mind the House of Reps.

Break the links with lobbyists? - Yea, right. Her party is in BED with some of the biggest lobbyists around.

Enact the 9-11 report? - VETO!!!! Did we elect the 9-11 commission to make decisions or did we elect ding-bats?

Why go on. This witch has ZERO CREDIBILITY.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:28 am
None of which will happen. It's just political trash talking.

Democrats are incapable of leading the country.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:33 am
What has this Ding-Bat said about N. Korea possibly testing a nuke this weekend?

Has dinggy mentioned what she will do to clean Irans house?

What is her position of an exit strategy in Iraq?

There are not 5 people in that House that should actually be there.

This Ding Bat, Bella Pelosi is not one of the 5.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:47 am
Struck a nerve, hmm?

Neither of you have a substantive argument as to why these things cannot/will not happen... just reflexive ones.

You'd really better get used to the idea, though...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:51 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Struck a nerve, hmm?

Neither of you have a substantive argument as to why these things cannot/will not happen... just reflexive ones.

Cycloptichorn

I do not need to get used to it.

Voters like you who keep touting their "party line" get the govt you deserve.

If you want a govt that wastes your money chasing "sex scandles" and not important issues, keep voting Dummycrats and Repuglicans into office.

What has Ding-Bat accomplished in her limited role as minority leader? Anything of substance.

(You answer better not be it's the Repuglicans fault, as that is an excuse)

Try to give an objective answer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 11:10 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Struck a nerve, hmm?

Cycloptichorn

I do not need to get used to it.

Voters like you who keep touting their "party line" get the govt you deserve.

If you want a govt that wastes your money chasing "sex scandles" and not important issues, keep voting Dummycrats and Repuglicans into office.

What has Ding-Bat accomplished in her limited role as minority leader? Anything of substance.

(You answer better not be it's the Repuglicans fault, as that is an excuse)

Try to give an objective answer.

I'm not supporting a 'third party' candidate in the upcoming election, so discussions of how bad the Republicans and Democrats are, are somewhat immaterial to the topic. I agree that the Dems are hardly better than the Republicans, but at least they are somewhat better.

I'm not sure what you want me to say about what Pelosi has 'accomplished' as minority leader. Certainly she has done a medium job blocking legistlation from the Republicans which I don't agree with, what the hell else is she supposed to do? Republicans won't consider a single bill or amendment that is sponsored by the Dems, so how is she supposed to get anything substantive done at all?

That is an objective answer. Furthermore, I agree with every one of the things she spelled out as her 'agenda,' so how am I supposed to be pissed that she wants to do things I agree with?

Quote:

What has this Ding-Bat said about N. Korea possibly testing a nuke this weekend?

Has dinggy mentioned what she will do to clean Irans house?

What is her position of an exit strategy in Iraq?

She hasn't said anything about N. Korea as far as I know, the same as most Democrat or Republican leaders.

I don't think she thinks that Iran's house really needs cleaning all that badly - same as I and a majority of the world population.

And as for an exit strategy for Iraq? She has the same exit strategy as the Republicans do - none.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:30 pm
"I'm not supporting a 'third party' candidate in the upcoming election, so discussions of how bad the Republicans and Democrats are, are somewhat immaterial to the topic."

"She hasn't said anything about N. Korea as far as I know, the same as most Democrat or Republican leaders.

I don't think she thinks that Iran's house really needs cleaning all that badly - same as I and a majority of the world population.

And as for an exit strategy for Iraq? She has the same exit strategy as the Republicans do - none. "

And therein lies the problem. YOU will continue to get the same BS when the Dummys get control from the Repugs and the people will be the losers.

Therefore, arguing about who is the biggest scoundrel is irrlelvant.

This November, the voters should vote out every incumbant on the ballot, regardless of party. But YOU won't, then you will complain.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:33 pm
Quote:

You'll note that I wasn't making an argument about who the biggest scoundrel is. Just reporting on some of the things Dems are looking to do when they get into office, and agreeing with them.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:34 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

You'll note that I wasn't making an argument about who the biggest scoundrel is. Just reporting on some of the things Dems are looking to do when they get into office, and agreeing with them.

Cycloptichorn

They don't deserve your vote.

Well maybe Rep Ford does, but that is about it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
It is a nice opinion that you hold, but given two options, I will be voting for the lesser of two evils.

The alternative? Not vote, and let the current bunch keep screwing things up? No thanks

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:49 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
It is a nice opinion that you hold, but given two options, I will be voting for the lesser of two evils.

The alternative? Not vote, and let the current bunch keep screwing things up? No thanks

Cycloptichorn

The alternative is to take action against the status quo.

We protest every "efing' thing in this country EXCEPT the people who do us the most harm, these elected officials.

How about a MILLION TAXPAYER MARCH to Washington calling for the resignation of every member of the Senate.

How about every taxpayer e-mailing their Reps and insisting they resign or be voted out.

I see A2K can organize a meeting of members yet A2K members would NEVER jointly organize to change the membership of the Senate.

Nah, we'll just argue about who the bigger scumbag is and call each other names.

We are a lazy bunch, us Americans.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:51 pm
I don't disagree with that.

Everyone is waiting for the movement to start, and then join, but they don't want to do the initial work.

And then there are the legions who have grown fat off of the current system; they will fight you tooth and nail to stop you. I'm not sure the country is ready for an armed rebellion yet... but that is what it would take.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 12:56 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Everyone is waiting for the movement to start, and then join, but they don't want to do the initial work.

And then there are the legions who have grown fat off of the current system; they will fight you tooth and nail to stop you. I'm not sure the country is ready for an armed rebellion yet... but that is what it would take.

Cycloptichorn

We can arm ourselves with one little finger on a ballot. Those who have "grown fat" got fat way before GW got in office and under this economic system will remain fat.

Yet they represent only less than 10% of the voters. They have no power at the voting booth, unless we let them have the power (which we do by continuing to vote for Dem and Repug.)

If middle America voted against the imcumbant, how can things be any worse?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:00 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

We can arm ourselves with one little finger on a ballot. Those who have "grown fat" got fat way before GW got in office and under this economic system will remain fat.

Yet they represent only less than 10% of the voters. They have no power at the voting booth, unless we let them have the power (which we do by continuing to vote for Dem and Repug.)

The vast majority of non-incumbents don't seem to be substantially different than the incumbents themselves; they are still beholden to the same party system, to lobbyists, to money.

I'm not sure how the problem will be solved by merely voting in new leadership. And in this case, there aren't enough elections to replace anyone, not even half of anyone, this cycle; it would take years to do what you are suggesting, years during which those with the vast majority of money would fight you tooth and nail the entire way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:01 pm
A friend and I were just discussing how the right is working really hard to demonize Nancy Pelosi. Be afraid, be very afraid!
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

The vast majority of non-incumbents don't seem to be substantially different than the incumbents themselves; they are still beholden to the same party system, to lobbyists, to money.

I'm not sure how the problem will be solved by merely voting in new leadership. And in this case, there aren't enough elections to replace anyone, not even half of anyone, this cycle; it would take years to do what you are suggesting, years during which those with the vast majority of money would fight you tooth and nail the entire way.

Cycloptichorn

Then we better start this November. The sooner the better. Imagine rolling the House every 2 years. Do you think the message will be sent?
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:15 pm
One thing that Pelosi and the other Democrats will do is restore some economic justice. Any objective review of our economic situation would show that the country is increasingly a plutocracy. Besides hurting the vast majority of our citizens, this will eventually bring about discord, which may get bloody. Here is an interesting piece regarding the sad shape our workers face in the working world.

^10/6/06: The War Against Wages

By PAUL KRUGMAN

Should we be cheering over the fact that the Dow Jones Industrial
Average has finally set a new record? No. The Dow is doing well largely
because American employers are waging a successful war against wages.
Economic growth since early 2000, when the Dow reached its previous
peak, hasn't been exceptional. But after-tax corporate profits have more
than doubled, because workers' productivity is up, but their wages
aren't -- and because companies have dealt with rising health insurance
premiums by denying insurance to ever more workers.

If you want to see how the war against wages is being fought, and what
it's doing to working Americans and their families, consider the latest
news from Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart already has a well-deserved reputation for paying low wages
and offering few benefits to its employees; last year, an internal Wal-Mart
memo conceded that 46 percent of its workers' children were either on
Medicaid or lacked health insurance. Nonetheless, the memo expressed
concern that wages and benefits were rising, in part "because we pay an
associate more in salary and benefits as his or her tenure increases."

The problem from the company's point of view, then, is that its workers
are too loyal; it wants cheap labor that doesn't hang around too long,
but not enough workers quit before acquiring the right to higher wages
and benefits. Among the policy changes the memo suggested to deal with
this problem was a shift to hiring more part-time workers, which "will
lower Wal-Mart's health care enrollment."

And the strategy is being put into effect. "Investment analysts and
store managers," reports The New York Times, "say Wal-Mart executives
have told them the company wants to transform its work force to 40
percent part-time from 20 percent." Another leaked Wal-Mart memo
describes a plan to impose wage caps, so that long-term employees won't
get raises. And the company is taking other steps to keep workers from
staying too long: in some stores, according to workers, "managers have
suddenly barred older employees with back or leg problems from sitting
on stools."

It's a brutal strategy. Once upon a time a company that treated its
workers this badly would have made itself a prime target for union
organizers. But Wal-Mart doesn't have to worry about that, because it
knows that these days the people who are supposed to enforce labor laws
are on the side of the employers, not the workers.

Since 1935, U.S. workers considering whether to join a union have been
protected by the National Labor Relations Act, which bars employers from
firing workers for engaging in union activities. For a long time the law
was effective: workers were reasonably well protected against employer
intimidation, and the union movement flourished.

In the 1970's, however, employers began a successful campaign to roll
back unions. This campaign depended on routine violation of labor law:
experts estimate that by 1980 employers were illegally firing at least
one out of every 20 workers who voted for a union. But employers rarely
faced serious consequences for their lawbreaking, thanks to America's
political shift to the right. And now that the shift to the right has
gone even further, political appointees are seeking to remove whatever
protection for workers' rights that the labor relations law still provides.

The Republican majority on the National Labor Relations Board, which is
responsible for enforcing the law, has just declared that millions of
workers who thought they had the right to join unions don't. You see,
the act grants that right only to workers who aren't supervisors. And
the board, ruling on a case involving nurses, has declared that millions
of workers who occasionally give other workers instructions can now be
considered supervisors.

As the dissent from the Democrats on the board makes clear, the majority
bent over backward, violating the spirit of the law, to reduce workers'
bargaining power.

So what's keeping paychecks down? Major employers like Wal-Mart have
decided that their interests are best served by treating workers as a
disposable commodity, paid as little as possible and encouraged to leave
after a year or two. And these employers don't worry that angry workers
will respond to their war on wages by forming unions, because they know
that government officials, who are supposed to protect workers' rights,
will do everything they can to come down on the side of the wage-cutters.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:28 pm
In a pitiful and vicious diatribe, Pat Buchanan tried to shift blame from Hastert to Pelosi. He is claiming that Pelosi deserves blame for marching in a gay pride parade that, he thought, included the participation of a man-boy love association. His outburst made you wonder about his sanity.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 01:37 pm
"One thing that Pelosi and the other Democrats will do is restore some economic justice. "

Based upon what record or accomplishment has this ding-bat ever been credited for making any kind of valuable economic legislation (except tax increases). Feel free to include any dummycrat in your independant analysis.

Also, why is Pat Buchanon wrong? When you accept homosexuals in your society as the norm, be prepared for homosexual behavior such as boys "doodling" other boys.

When you accept homosexuality as a norm, this activity is no different than hetrosexual activities such as boys chasing girls.

So explain why is Buchanon wrong?
0 Replies