A Pox on Both Your Houses

bermbits

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:19 pm
(A plague o' both your houses!)

One scene that pops to mind is the old man teaching the young boy to memorize a book in "Fahrenheit 451" (a terrible movie). As the boy gets it, the old man slips away.

Also, John Malkovich as Lennie. It's debatable whether he even knew.

Although we never see it directly, Finny's passing on in "A Separate Peace" gets to me.
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
Also, lesser known but moving nonetheless, in "Logan's Run,' when Francis and Logan have their great fight in the 'outside' (Washington, D.C.), Francis dies in Logan's arms.

Finally, any of the death scenes in "Les Miserables." I still have trouble with the video... *sniff.*
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:36 pm
Okay, this might be weird, but 'Iron Giant', when the deer is shot by hunters, and the big robot doesn't understand the concept of death, and the boy tells him all about souls, and how they are immortal, and the robot gently touches the dead deer and says "Souls...don't...die?" That broke me up folks....

Harold and Maude comes to mind as well. When she says to Harold that she's already taken the pills, man...that's powerful stuff.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 02:53 pm
sorry, Bermbits...plague then. Embarrassed

Christopher Walken in The Deer Hunter. Gawd, I just got chills.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:17 pm
Letty wrote:

actually, out here in these parts around the kuvasz ranch neighborhood, we say "a plaque on both your teeth."

this is the town where they call 32 women , "a full set of teeth."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 05:30 pm
Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 03:49 am
bermbits. I finally figured out why I misquoted the Bard. I have been watching too much news lately, and got it confused with monkey plague and small plague. Very Happy

Jack Nicholson in "Easy Rider"
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:32 am
Cute, Letty!
Laughing

Cute!

I tried quickly to find the derivation of the pox comment, but I couldn't. It's common enough, though.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:21 am
Letty wrote:

Letty, complete agreement here. I can't believe I forgot that one. He made my tears just stream down . . . Did he get any award for that? (should have)

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:27 am
Sweetcom, I'm not certain. I just know that Walken was great. The end of the movie was fabulous, because DeNiro did NOT take down that magnificent stag.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:41 am
Christopher Walken won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Deer Hunter. He also won a NY Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actor and was nominated for a Golden Globe.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:46 am
Thanks, Mac. You and Raggedy are amazing folk. Cool
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:49 am
Pure research, Letty - it's not like this stuff is all in my head! Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:54 am
Yeah, Mac, but one must know the right plug-in's.

And for bermbits, here's a little research of my own:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/PCom/20001122-0.html

YIKES! No wonder I said "Pox"... Shocked
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:55 am
thanks, Mac, I thought so; he really deserved those
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:26 pm
Gallipoli - Waves and waves of Australians are cut down in repeated assaults against the Turks. The communications runner, Mel Gibson, arrives a few seconds too late to communicate orders that the assaults are to be halted. Another wave of young men goes over the top of the hill before he can stop them and he cries out in anguish. The final film image is a freeze frame of Mark Lee (Gibson's friend) caught at the moment of death (as machine gun fire slams into his chest.) I shall never forget that image and the expression of sheer horror on Gibson's face.

And as I recall that scene, I am reminded of the death scene in All Quiet on the Western Front when ,as Lew Ayres reaches out to a butterfly, he is struck by a fatal bullet.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:21 pm
Raggedy, I just wrote a very, deep felt response and it vanished. Perhaps it's just as well. I'm not certain that I can ever recapture it.

Goodnight, my friend.

Love,
Letty
0 Replies

bermbits

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:26 pm
Anyone remember the scene in "Zulu" where 'human waves' kept piling up? That's a shocker.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 08:32 pm
"Zulu" can be shattering to the soul to watch and the same goes for "All Quiet" and "Gallipoli." Sure makes one take a different attitude about death.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 09:03 am
The irony of Marlon Brando's death in "The Young Lions" still leaves me with a feeling of awe.
0 Replies