A Pox on Both Your Houses

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:17 am
Several movie versions of Romeo and Juliet have been made over the years, and I am always taken with the role of Mercutio, because he died the way most people would.

What's the best dying scene by an actor that you have seen in a movie?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,087 • Replies: 110
No top replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:22 am
I vote for Kevin Spacy in "L.A.Confidential". The look of utter shock on his face and the subsequent realization was subtle, but totally believable
0 Replies

BeachBum

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:20 am
YES!! Was going to say the same thing, Letty. His expression is perfect. No fancy drama, just fades away.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:38 am
BB, I was trying to think of an actress who did a convincing job of dying, but not one lady came to mind.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 07:49 am
Yul Brynner in "The King and I". The background music helped.

Martin Landau in "The Majestic " with Jim Carrey. His last scene was so touching and so heartfelt. Like the entire movie.

Gotta give this more thought...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:44 am
John Hurt, in Alien.

Not sure he expected to go out that way...
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 08:56 am
Oh, my Gawd, PDiddie, That's right! I had forgotten that. Didn't he do The Elephant Man? Another good scene--just daring to lie down and die. Shocked
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:45 am
Letty: You've really got me pondering this one. You see, I prefer the unconvincing death scenes in the moves. The old fashioned, romantic, dramatic kind. Embarrassed These days, I turn away from the more realistic death scenes, like Tom Hanks in Philadelphia and Melvyn Douglas in Being There and Jason Robards in Magnolia. I must admit, however, that I was riveted to the death scene (Debra Winger) in Terms of Endearment. Now, if you ask me what my favorite death scenes are - I've got a million of 'em.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 09:52 am
Raggedy, I don't doubt it a bit, my friend. I guess the crux of what I was trying to say is who is the most convincing. If you have favorite scenes, I would love to know of them.

"....if you have tears, prepare to shed them now..." :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:04 am
Nicole Kidman dying in Moulin Rouge ....

I know it is tacky - but it had me burst into tears Sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:28 am
ah, Gautam. Camille revisited. Ain't nothin tacky about scenes that illicit tears. Actually, the dying scenes that don't cause us to go all lacrymose, are probably the best ones.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 10:30 am
and that should be: lacHrymose...need some eye drops. Smile
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 11:45 am
This may sound funny but the death of Hector in Helen of Troy. Hector played by Harry Andrews was beaten by Achhiles (played by Stanley Baker). Hector was Troy's greatest warrior and Acchiles beat him to the ground in single combat and then speared by Achilles. All this watched by the Trojans on the wall including his wife. This was a very ordinary film but that scene really affected me.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:14 pm
Bob, I vaguely remember that movie. Often I get the printed version of the Odyssey and film depictions confused, but I do recall some Italian actress saying, "I fear the Greeks, my Lord, even when they come bearing gifts." That line is so often misquoted, and then I recall Achilles dragging Hector's body around the walls of Troy. Yes, you are right. The idea of Achilles ending the life of Hector out of rage and revenge is quite solemn.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:25 pm
Letty, speaking of different versions of Romeo and Juliet along with my total weakness for West Side Story, the final dying scene of Tony (but it has to be in the play because Richard Beymer just doesn't cut it) because I'm already sobbing at Maria's speech . . . Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Hey, eoe. A2K died for a bit and has now been Lazarized. Smile

I agree about Yul, though...cool...and I'm making light of the situation.
0 Replies

Letty

sweetcomplications, (love that handle)..I didn't get to see the play, but I will certainly take your word for it.
0 Replies

eoe

SC, who played the original Tony of West Side Story on the stage?
0 Replies

eoe

What's going on y'all? A2K is buggin!! Today is Thursday, right?
0 Replies

Letty

eoe, Several things have gone amiss over the past several days. There have been no updates; Sometimes when posting a reply a message appears that says something to the effect that it hasn't been long enough since you last posted. Try again later...and now, the date is incorrect.

I suspect that the system is being overhauled. Craven mentioned something about hamsters having to be replaced. Laughing
0 Replies