A Pox on Both Your Houses

mac11

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
The original Tony in the Broadway production of West Side Story was Larry Kert.

Internet Broadway Database Original West Side Story page
0 Replies

Letty

Thanks, Mac. Elizabeth Taylor? Shocked

I'll have to add another because I just saw the Godfather for the zillionith time. Marlon Brando didn't die, but the scene where he was shot by a drive-byer, was great.
0 Replies

mac11

Actually, the scene where he collapses in the garden after playing with his grandson is pretty great too.
0 Replies

mac11

Sorry, Letty, what was the Elizabeth Taylor reference?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Glad you asked, Mac. The suspense is killing me. Very Happy

Letty: Do you mean Taylor in Cleopatra or in The Last Time I Saw Paris?
0 Replies

Letty

Mac, I looked at the cast in your link, and down toward the bottom, Elizabeth Taylor played what looked like a minor part. She was the only one that I knew in the entire play. I've only seen one broadway production. I was just a kid, but it was awesome just being there.

And you are right about Brando's actual death in The Godfather. He contrived that bit himself, you know.
0 Replies

mac11

I'm afraid to say that that must have been a different Elizabeth Taylor. If you click on her name, she only has one other credit, and it says she was the wife of Miles Davis...
0 Replies

Letty

Good grief, Raggedy. I had forgotten those two movies. Did Liz of the violet eyes do a good job when she got a grasp by the asp? Smile

To tell you the truth. I don't recall ever being impressed with any of Taylor's performances. Wonder why Richard Burton ever married her? Razz
0 Replies

bobsmyth

I agree on Elizabeth Taylor except for her performance in Giant.
0 Replies

eoe

I was gonna mention the drive-by shooting in The Godfather but figured it wouldn't count. But I tell ya, Mr. Brando sure did give us a good "I've been shot" scene, didn't he? He rolled across that bumper, hanging on with one arm, like the pro that he is.

Another great death scene was Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday in "Tombstone."

I thought Elizabeth was pretty good in "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof" and damned good in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf." Sent chills up and down my spine with her misery and hatefulness.
0 Replies

Letty

Bob, it always seemed to me that she didn't quite live up to the star that she was.
0 Replies

eoe

That's just it, Letty. She wasn't a respected actor. She was and still is a Hollywood star.
0 Replies

Letty

Oh, my Gawd, eoe. Yes..yes..Val Kilmer...excellent...

I had forgotten about Virginia Wolf...Yes, must admit she did a pretty good job in that one.
0 Replies

BeachBum

One of my favorite death scene was in "Executive Decision" when Steven Seagal was sucked out of the plane. Wasn't dramatic or well done, but it did save us from suffering through watching that lame-O for the rest of the movie. Gotta give credit where it's due.
0 Replies

BeachBum

Letty, I can't think of a good woman death scene either. Maybe Sharon Stone in "Total Recall"?

"Consider that a divorce"

One of the lamest has to be Josh Hartnett in "Pearl Harbor". Good Christ on a cracker. I was hoping the A-Bomb would drop and kill everyone associated with the movie.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Aaah, Letty: I loved Elizabeth Taylor (in the early days Very Happy ) National Velvet; A Place in the Sun; Giant, The Sandpiper. But, I must confess I don't remember the dying scene in Cleopatra, because I fell asleep before the end.

I've been thinking about "best" dying scenes and I've concluded that my favorite ones just don't "cut it" today. But, I just loved it when the guy carried the ashen faced, streaming haired, wide-eyed (you knew she was ready to die when her eyes got poppy) heroine to the window so she could see the heather on the hill, or hear the fireworks declaring peace, or hear the last strains of her favorite melody, (Laurence Olivier/Merle Oberon, Wuthering Heights; Robert Taylor/Greta Garbo, Camille and Gary Cooper/Helen Hayes , A Farewell to Arms)<sigh> Sorry for digresssing from "realistic" death scenes, but I just had to mention those oldies. Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Well, thanks to Letty who read Liz wrong..we've got a two way picture going here, which I don't mind a bit. Cool

Beachbum..I swear that was the funniest response about Pearl Harbor. I had no desire to see it...but you made me laugh out loud...

There are still worthy actors/actresses out there folks...

Hey, all. Back in a few.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:20 pm
Wuthering Heights...Cathy...Jane Eyre...Liz...Yes, Raggedy...

and in the venue of Tombstone..Michael Bein(sp)...Think it's pronounced "Bean"...

Gregory Peck died today...the old gringo..Ambrose Bierce....

Sorry, all. Waxing nostalgic..
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 04:35 pm
Certainly one of the strangest was Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove riding an atom bomb awhooping and ahollering like riding a bronc all the way down.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 06:17 pm
Embarrassed My apologies to eoe for not replying when asked about the Broadway actor who played Tony. I was away for a bit and I thank Mac for answering: thank you, Mac! I never saw Larry Kert, but I did see 2 different WSS productions in Berkeley and 1 in S.F., all 3 of which had "unknowns" for their entire cast and each Tony went miles beyond Mr. Beymer!
0 Replies