Baby, you and me we have a bacon grease kind of love

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
The brilliance of having siblings is that when you get old they can completely crack you up with the words "bacon grease".

And sometimes the words "bacon grease" will lead to a whole riff about going to school one day, nutrition day, perhaps, and having the teacher ask everyone to report what they had for breakfast that day and between all the "juice, cereal and milk" answers you report "Space Food Sticks® and Instant Breakfast®" to the dismay and envy of every single kid who was force fed eggs and oatmeal for breakfast that morning just so they would appear to be well cared for.

I'm about to have my 46th birthday and nobody but nobody can make me laugh like any one of my three siblings. So much shared experience so little time.

I can call S and say "bacon grease" and we will laugh so hard we can't breathe.

I can call L and say "Speak. Arf. Speak. Arf" and we will practically die.

I can call J and sing the opening line to any Mad Magazine song parody from say oh..... 1968 to 1975 and someone will start warming up the crematorium furnace because we are knocking on heaven's door.

I honestlly do not know what I would do without these people

I remember the day my brother J left for college. He was the oldest. That was the formal end to all of our siblinghood.

Man.

That was like 30 years ago.

We all went out and led our lives and just now we are getting to the whole bacon grease kind of love.

I guess what I'm wondering is.....

Did you go away and get back or did you stay together or did you part never to reunite with your siblings?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,201 • Replies: 28
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:16 pm
That's very touching Boom. It's unfortunate that my siblings have been pretty estranged. I will contact them occasionally but they do not seem to have a desire to reunite. One of my bothers and my sister even stayed away from my dad's funeral. Kinda sad actually.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:19 pm
Yeah. I can call any of my siblings (save one) and sing Handel's messiah with the words "tiny penis" substituted for hallelujah, and we pretty much wet our pants from laughing so hard.

"He's watering the lawn with his....TINY PENIS, TINY PENIS, TINY-PENIS, TINY-PENIS, TIN-EE-EE PENIS!"
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
My older brother and I were really close when we were little. I posted these in a different thread... but it seems appropriate here too:

http://img52.exs.cx/img52/802/abrotherisfun4kl.jpg

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/4162/biggametrappers1sl.jpg

Then we grew up a bit and grew apart a bit at the same time. He went off to the marines the day I turned 16. He was in it for 6 years and, although we talked, we weren't really that close during those years. Within the past 4-5 years, we have grown pretty close again. Our interests and lives have much more in common than they did during my high school years.

My sister and I are probably the closest. After my brother and I started drifting apart, I began to spend more time with her... even though before, she was our mutual enemy, being the only sister and all.

http://img95.exs.cx/img95/1010/offtosomewhere6of.jpg

All 3 of us:

http://img59.exs.cx/img59/1345/1stbirthdaytreat5dl.jpg

My sister and I probably have more in common (art, music, books, etc.), but all three of us have intertwining stories that make us all close. I wouldn't trade my siblings for anything... and the older I get the more I love the time I am able to see them, which regrettably, isn't nearly enough.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:26 pm
Interesting isn't it, the drift and merge of siblinghood?

My mother's siblings have started dying off in the last few years and it has changed her so much. She's the baby by years and years and seeing her siblings get old has been hard. Maybe even harder than seeing my dad get so sick from early onset Alzheimer's disease.

I guess it has made me appreciate my siblings even more. Really, they are the only ones who know everything.

Thank you all for your replies. They're fascinating and full of portent My A2K is being kind of funky tonight. If I don't post it doesn't mean that I'm not trying to......
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:37 pm
boomerang wrote:
Interesting isn't it, the drift and merge of siblinghood?

It sure is. I wish my brother and Icould have been closer for some of those years, but it makes catching up now, that much nicer I guess.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:43 pm

If you follow the rope back to the bush you can make out the two kids.

See them?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:53 pm
You should have seen us Gus... we stayed out there until dinner waiting for a poor hapless rabbit to come along and foolishly blunder into our trap. If it wasn't taco night, we'd have stayed out there till we got one.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:55 pm
I saw the kids already the first time.

---

I only have one older brother and we are fairly close, given the tremendous
distance. We see each other once a year, but phone quite often.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 08:17 pm
Un huh. One of these days, I'm gona call my sister and say "Go Fish".
0 Replies

Shazzer

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:11 pm
I've really enjoyed your perspectives. It's a little different for me.

I'm a middle child and the only girl in my family. We're all in our twenties and starting the 'drift and merge of siblinghood.' I don't think our childhood has had enough time to settle for us to really know what to make of our adult selves yet.

I've been travelling the better part of the last four years; I find that most of my brothers' lives gets filtered to me through my mother. It's not a complaint really, but reading this thread has made me think that it might not be the best way to counteract the natural drift that occurs.

Something to consider.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:49 pm
I'm only child and can only get the odd glimmer of bacon greaseness from cousins..

Sadly, bacon grease and so on doesn't give much of a sh't re others. Sometimes it's amazing how little.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
My brother and I share an odd sense of humour. The best recollection I have of realizing we were a bit off kilter was when we went to see Life of Brian at the theatre when it first came out. There couldn't have been more than 10 other people in the theatre with us and NOBODY ELSE was laughing. It got so embarrassing that we tried to contain ourselves but that just made it worse. He was wheezing and I started to choke. Good times.

We share a love of Wallace & Gromit (The Wrong Trousers is a classic -- warning! Pee before the electric train scene!) and old Alan Sherman records.
He knows everything about everything even though he's younger. He makes compilation disks of music he thinks I would like that maybe I haven't heard and he's always right. He is my sons' favourite uncle as he knows all about their generation's music and computer games. He is creative and gives the most inspired Christmas presents. He is smarter than I am. He is a better cook than I am. He is wittier than I am. He got the big blue eyes and long dark lashes. Gee, sounds like I should resent him, but I don't -- 'cause he's just so unique. (In a few years he'll be "eccentric".) And you all know him Razz
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 10:15 pm
We do?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 04:35 am
Tai Chi wrote:
My brother and I share an odd sense of humour. The best recollection I have of realizing we were a bit off kilter was when we went to see Life of Brian at the theatre when it first came out. There couldn't have been more than 10 other people in the theatre with us and NOBODY ELSE was laughing. It got so embarrassing that we tried to contain ourselves but that just made it worse. He was wheezing and I started to choke. Good times.

We share a love of Wallace & Gromit (The Wrong Trousers is a classic -- warning! Pee before the electric train scene!) and old Alan Sherman records.
He knows everything about everything even though he's younger. He makes compilation disks of music he thinks I would like that maybe I haven't heard and he's always right. He is my sons' favourite uncle as he knows all about their generation's music and computer games. He is creative and gives the most inspired Christmas presents. He is smarter than I am. He is a better cook than I am. He is wittier than I am. He got the big blue eyes and long dark lashes. Gee, sounds like I should resent him, but I don't -- 'cause he's just so unique. (In a few years he'll be "eccentric".) And you all know him Razz

You weren't off kilter laughing at Brian....you saw it on an alien planet, reached through some kind of gap in the space time continuum!!!

Who the hell DIDN'T laughat the Lif of Brian?

Where the hell were you?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 06:22 am
Tai Chi - he's all that and more (!) but you yerself don't seem so shabby!

Pondering my own family dynamic...

Eldest brother speaks to me...only - he fell out with my twin brother over the war - the twin resides in the States. He hates my older sister with a scary vehmenence....or sez he does when he mentions her at all, which is almost never. He threatened to really cut loose, tell her off, once our mom goes...I have no idea what really happened to cause this. He calls me blonsis - blonde sister. Still, we only sporadically communicate by email. I visit his blog occasionally, and his pictures on flickr...

Twin brother speaks to me...only...has no time for older sister...and is on the outs as mentioned with older brother....still, I think he loves them, I know he loves me. Occasional phone contact only. A short visit if he's in town.

My sister, whoo. We live in the same town and share a love for my mother, so we make nice once or twice a year. I love her...I do, she's my sister! But there's a reason neither of the brothers has spoken to her in years. I can feel for her sometimes...it must be rather lonely...at least I feel lonely when I think about it. We do not discuss her estrangement with the brothers.

Over the years I've learned to keep some distance from her...it's self protection, really. No doubt she'd be hurt to read that.

Mostly I think we all blew up when my Dad died...the fall out...it's taking years to mend...eldest brother calls it A.D. ... after dad. Sadly, we all seem to share the "memory as long as the day" trait...makes it hard to get past petty grievances (never mind the biggies!) sometimes.

It's marvellous to read about uncontrollable laughter..etc...but a little alien. Still we have our stories...shared memories...I'm grateful for them.

Gimme uncontollable laughter any day.
Or maybe I mean, too. I'm greedy that way.

I never mentioned the step siblings. Holy feck! Seven on one side and three on the other. Haha. That's another hundred dollars.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 07:45 am
Joeblow -- your post made me think. Laughter can definitely be a bonding experience. My brother and I have had our own family (and extended family) disruptions and to some extent our relationship could be seen as an expression of "you and me against the world". I'm going to think on this further.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:48 am
My two sisters only speak to each other when I'm visiting their state. Other than that they do not have any contact at all. After my last visit they suggested that I try to arrange to see the seperately from now on.

I don't know how they can stand to live like that.

They have long since given up on trying to get me to pick a side. Whatever happened between them is between them and doesn't involve me.

I think it was when my dad died that we circled the wagons and started to return to each other (except for my sisters).

Joeblow made me think of it. Interesting how it can work either way, isn't it?

Tai Chi made me think about the day my brother and I sat through three consecutive screenings of "And Now For Something Completely Different". Plus, every Saturday night when all of our friends were out doing teenager stuff my brother and I had a steady date for 10:30 when PBS aired the Monty Python show.

In fact, I almost called this thread "Nudge, nudge, wink, wink" but laughing my head off with my sister about bacon grease is really what started me thinking about it.

Thank you all for your replies. Siblinghood really has to be the most complicated of relationships.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:59 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
My older brother and I ...
http://img52.exs.cx/img52/802/abrotherisfun4kl.jpg

http://img53.exs.cx/img53/4162/biggametrappers1sl.jpg....

JP, is that Shmoke?

PS Me and my bruddah -- we are not terribly close. We try to be, sometimes -- he has a son and of course we have our parents in common and all that -- but it can be tough. He is in another state and when there's time there's no money and when there's money there's no time for us to visit each other. RP and I have not been down to them in years. They were here more recently and we know we should go and do that get to that groove because, well, because he's my only sibling, dammit. RP has a sister but she lives outside the US. So it's even more difficult to visit her, but again, we should, we know we should.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:07 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

If you follow the rope back to the bush you can make out the two kids.

See them?

Yep. How great is that?

Quote:
You should have seen us Gus... we stayed out there until dinner waiting for a poor hapless rabbit to come along and foolishly blunder into our trap. If it wasn't taco night, we'd have stayed out there till we got one.

Ahhhh. jp. Grand adventure and doing dare. Nice.
0 Replies