Christianity - True or Not?

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:36 am
There is no such thing as a muslim or a christian child, only a child brought up in a muslim or christian family. Few people are able to escape their early upbringing. A child believes what the adult tells him/her, in fact is programmed to believe for good reasons of survivability. They also project intentions into inanimate objects. If the adult tells them its bad to swim in the crocodile infested river they believe it. (The ones who insist on testing the hypothesis tend not to reproduce) If the adult tells them they must sacrifice a goat to make it rain on the crops they believe it. Young children dont have the mental maturity to be able to answer back or question why or suggest that goat sacrifice is a waste of time and (in Dawkins phrase) goats.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
but i'm the only Christian in my family, both parents, both set of grandparents and my sister are all atheist or agnostic. i myself was atheist until i was 15, then began to accept the views of others and just before my 16th i became Christian. nothing in my unbringing had anything to do with my faith now.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:04 am
Children are also not stupid. They will soon learn that it does not rain when a goat is sacrificed.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
rockpie wrote:
but i'm the only Christian in my family, both parents, both set of grandparents and my sister are all atheist or agnostic. i myself was atheist until i was 15, then began to accept the views of others and just before my 16th i became Christian. nothing in my unbringing had anything to do with my faith now.

Let your faith guide you. Don't be swayed by those who have no faith and want to change you from what you are. Continue to explore and find the answers that you need.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:09 am
Fundamentalists and literalists - of whatever religious stripe - cannot be considered rational. It is their delusions, their perversions of religious tenets - that pose the danger presented by religion. While today's sciencephobic, hyper-moralistic Christian biblethumpers and militantly radical Islamists may represent numerical minorities within their respective larger demographics, the damge they cause is intolerable; they both are throwbacks to The Dark Ages and are threats to civilization.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:11 am
Would you say that irrational atheist, of any stripe, that cause intolerable damage are not threats to civilization?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:16 am
Intrepid wrote:
Would you say that irrational atheist, of any stripe, that cause intolerable damage are not threats to civilization?

Of course not. Irrational extremism is intolerable regardless its ideologic bent. Kim Jong Il, for example.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 10:27 am
Im gonna have to go with "not true". Weve got a supposed inerrant book of rules that contains numerous errors and illogical statements. Those that we know are untrue make me question all the others.
What percent of thge Bible is true?

How do you know it?

If your answer is "Faith" then all youve done is engaged in circular reasoning.

I mean consider the statement'

"To believe in Jesus, you must have faith". Your meaning is boiled down to "In order to have faith, you must have faith"

Im a data kind of guy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:02 am
timberlandko wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Of course not. Irrational extremism is intolerable regardless its ideologic bent. Kim Jong Il, for example.

Good to hear. Just checkin
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 11:04 am
timberlandko wrote:
Fundamentalists and literalists - of whatever religious stripe - cannot be considered rational. It is their delusions, their perversions of religious tenets - that pose the danger presented by religion. While today's sciencephobic, hyper-moralistic Christian biblethumpers and militantly radical Islamists may represent numerical minorities within their respective larger demographics, the damge they cause is intolerable; they both are throwbacks to The Dark Ages and are threats to civilization.
Razz
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 01:59 pm
rockpie wrote:
ok... so what is it in your life that fills your heart? i don't mean to be sarcastic or intrusive but i'm interested to know what it is that makes you ''happy'' if you don't ''worship'' the things i have previously stated. i take it you are suggesting that religion is a crutch for the weak minded?

Fair question. What fills my heart is the beauty of the world, and the joy that people can give one another. Doing something well fills me with joy.........grappling with a problem, and overcoming it is another.

Of all the things in religion, I find the entire concept of "worship" the most aversive. But people tend to worship all sorts of things; money, fame, notoriety, for example. I find those concepts just as aversive.

The most important thing to me is constantly working to discover the truths in the world, peeling layer by layer, and doing the best that I can to be as honest as I am capable in evaluating a situation. To this, I need to rely on reason, and therefore dismiss the concept of faith, which is a pillar of most religions, as the antithesis of reason.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 03:33 pm
you're not wrong there flamebird

ever thought about starting your own religion?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:08 am
i see. but even if God doesn't exist, without Christianity, i would not be a very moral person. before i found Christ i was an unruly youth who to be honest couldn't give a s**t about anybody else. but now i would gladly help out anybody in a tough situation whereas before i'd just laugh. i'm glad that you find happiness in the joy of others and the solving of problems Phoenix, i do too, but without a religion of some kind to guide people, alot would not be as strong minded as you and find pleasure in violence, greed and abuse of almost every area of other peoples lives. its a sad thing to say but even if there is no God, people need some form of moral guidance.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:58 am
rockpie wrote:
i see. but even if God doesn't exist, without Christianity, i would not be a very moral person. before i found Christ i was an unruly youth who to be honest couldn't give a s**t about anybody else. but now i would gladly help out anybody in a tough situation whereas before i'd just laugh. i'm glad that you find happiness in the joy of others and the solving of problems Phoenix, i do too, but without a religion of some kind to guide people, alot would not be as strong minded as you and find pleasure in violence, greed and abuse of almost every area of other peoples lives. its a sad thing to say but even if there is no God, people need some form of moral guidance.
Without God you would be a yob? You havent found God RP you've just found a measure of maturity. Do you really think people only do good because they fear punishment in the afterlife? What a depressing thought. I dont believe people are naturally bad and have to be bullied into doing good. Charity blesses him who gives as well as him who receives. But if you're only giving on sufferance it kind of takes the edge off it abit wouldnt you agree?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:34 am
rockpie wrote:
its a sad thing to say but even if there is no God, people need some form of moral guidance.

Sad, but true to some extent. I believe, that over the years, (I am a LOT older than you)I have learned to internalize my morality. In other words, I am a strict judge of the appropriateness of my behavior. I do my best to play fair, and be honest and forthright in my dealings with others. If I slip up, I have no fear of any retribution, other than the guilt that I would feel within myself.

I agree with Steve about maturity. I went through my "stages" as an adolescent and young adult, as many people do. Through the process of growing up, I learned what I believe is the most moral and rational way to live. My morality is within me, and needs no outside forces.

The main thing, is that I question EVERYTHING for myself, and could not embrace any complete body of thought. My intellectual curiosity would impel me to pick apart the pieces, discarding the parts to which I disagree, and keeping the others.

0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:03 am
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:
The other problem with the radical religions is that they are very authoritarian. They present a body of thought, and demand that a follower accept it wholesale, without question. As such, a vulnerable person is backed into a corner. If he wants to remain part of the group, he needs to follow along completely, despite any doubts that he might have. If not, he is deprived of the emotional support that these groups offer to one another.

It is so much easier to suspend judgement, and simply accept a religion's tenets, without thinking it through on your own. Critical analysis is not easy, and is certainly difficult for the individual who is grappling with his own personal demons. Thinking things through for yourself is ultimately far more satisfying for a person.

What do you consider to be "radical religions"? What evidence do you have than any religion is authoritarian? Who are the vulnerable people? Why would religion want to back a "vulnerable person" into a corner? How do you know that emotional support is being withheld?

Who should judge? How do you know that those who have religion do not think it through on their own?

I think that rockpie makes some very good points, despite his/her young age.

Everybody should think things through for themselves. I am wondering if you are referring to some of those weird and wacky cults? Are you talking about mainstream religion?

Phoenix
Did you miss this, or did you choose not to respond?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:39 am
Intrepid wrote:
Phoenix
Did you miss this, or did you choose not to respond?

I was out for most of the afternoon yesterday, so I am glad that you brought up this issue again.

Quote:
What do you consider to be "radical religions"?

I consider any religion that is out of the mainstream, "radical". That would include the fundamendalist arm of any religion, as well as cults.

Quote:
Who are the vulnerable people?

There are many kinds of vulnerable people. There are those who are struggling with addictions, alcoholism, emotional or psychiatric problems. There are those who are having difficulty making the leap between adolescence and adulthood, and are looking for "something" to fill a need of which they are not yet capable of filling themselves. There are those young people who are filled with alienation and anomie, who are ripe for any group which promises a better life, and the promise of a life after death.

There are older people, who never "made it" in life, and spend day after dreary day living from hand to mouth, with little hope of a better existence. That situation is much easier to bear if they are sold a bill of goods about an afterlife. It makes the life that they are living more bearable, if they think that they are looking forward to an eternity in "heaven".

Quote:
Why would religion want to back a "vulnerable person" into a corner?

Many of the radical religions derive their strength through numbers, (and the funds that are derived from these numbers). By cornering a vulnerable person through guilt, shame or fear, the religion is assuring themselves yet another lamb that will not stray far from the flock.

Quote:
How do you know that emotional support is being withheld?

There are numerous religions that will either shun an individual who has broken one of the tenets of the faith, or inculcate a tremendous amount of fear in that person. (Do......................and you will go to hell!)

Quote:
Who should judge?

IMO, each person needs to judge for him/herself what is appropriate for thier lives.

Quote:
How do you know that those who have religion do not think it through on their own?

No one can completely agree on each point in an entire body of thought, no matter whether the issue is religion, politics, etc. A person who accepts the tenets of a religion, without question, is by definition not thinking the matter through by themselves. They are merely incorporating the thoughts and beliefs of others.

Quote:
I think that rockpie makes some very good points, despite his/her young age.

I think that rockpie is a pretty sharp young man. But like many his age, IMO he has developed a reaction formation, based on his earlier experiences with alcohol, drugs and sex.

Quote:
reaction formation
n.
A defense mechanism by which an objectionable impulse is expressed in an opposite or contrasting attitude or behavior.

http://www.answers.com/reaction+formation?gwp=11&ver=1.1.1.377&method=3

Quote:
Everybody should think things through for themselves. I am wondering if you are referring to some of those weird and wacky cults? Are you talking about mainstream religion?

I think that my thoughts apply to all religion, but in a matter of degree. Obviously, the things that I have mentioned are far more flagrant with the cults, but all religions require a certain amount of the suspension of rational thought.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
moral guidance is not the only purpose for religion, as i have said it gives meaning to life, it provides something to confide in. i suppose the answer on whether religion is true depends on if there is a God, and which God that is, and for most people it is only one God. for me God is everything i need at any time. if i need money, and somebody gives me some, i would thank God even though some would argue it was from their own kindness that i received the money. also i think different perceptions of what or who God is can influence whether you believe or not. for matter of argument i'll say that God and Satan are simply the 2 extremes of the human conscience that are so powerful in what they tell you is right and wrong that some will believe that it is some kind of supernatural guidance that they are receiving, but then if God is simply an invention of the human brain/conscience does that not say that we are all, to an extent, Godly, and does the Bible not say we are based on his image?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:48 am
Phoenix,
Thank you for your well thought out reply. I appreciate your candor and explanation.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:56 am
Phoenix: earlier you stated that faith was the antithesis of reason. but do you not need faith in your reasoning to believe that it is right? what you consider as reason might not be what others consider as reason so you need faith in your own reason, do you see? so how can faith and reason be opposites when the one needs the other?
0 Replies