Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:20 pm
a bornigen crease-tien

of course.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:21 pm
Doktor S wrote:
One question for the bornigen.

What is explained by a supernatural god that is not better explained through natural means?

I would say nothing. I'd like you to prove me wrong.

But I won't hold my breath.

I've noticed that no matter how strongly I demand that I would LOVE to be shown that there's a reasonable chance that there IS a heaven, that I will be re-united with loved ones, that an all powerful god loves me.......people still claim that I want these things NOT to be true, and that I have some kind of agenda against them.

I do have an agenda, and that is to understand the difference between reality and delusion. All the more so, since the delusion is so much more attractive.

By all means, enjoy imagining such things, but don't offer it to me without any idea if it's true or not. That's just cruel.

(Dok, not a response to you obviously, just a thought that springs from yours)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 08:30 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Sometimes wether or not something is true is not the important factor in deciding what to believe.

For example, I believe that every human is inherently good. Not because I just know it is so, but because I need to believe it. I need to believe that greed and fear are not the only qualities that dominate us, but that there is an ideal in all of us that we see as right and true.

It might be a dream, but some dreams are worth holding on to. The problem is to agree on which of them, and to keep remembering that they may be just that; fantasies to ease our minds.

Can you believe something you think isn't true? I don't think so, but then I'm not in the habit so I'm not sure.

Greed and fear are not the only qualities that dominate us, and there's plenty of scientific evidence to suggest that mankind is inherently "good", (our survival depends on co-operation) therefore one need not believe such a thing on faith alone.

If, however, they were the only things that drove us, then you would be better served to know that and understand it so you could work with it. You can't say that you're safer NOT knowing how deep the pond is.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:19 pm
woiyo wrote:
Since all religions were created by man, they are all flawed.

None can be absolute truth.

Therefore, faith is the basis of "truth". If you believe it to be true, the for you, it is truth. But only for you.

Can you prove your assertion that 'all religions were created by man'?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:28 pm
Regardless of the evidence, Eorl, I could still believe that man was a rotten fruit. Many people do. But I will not, because it would lead to such a depressive world view.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:33 pm
I think your argument is self-defeating Cyracuz. The fact that you would find that world-view depressing proves it wrong.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:40 pm
By what logic trail can one arrive at that conclusion?

I happen to agree with you, but not because I know it's true, but because I need to believe that it is possible to have a happy life.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 09:45 pm
The logic is that if all humans are driven by those needs alone, then you would have no need to believe otherwise, or to find the idea depressing as you are a member of the species yourself.

Your argument is like "I need to eat, therefore I believe there's food in my pantry. The fact that there is food in my pantry is unimportant."

( Now, if there actually wasn't any food in your pantry, would you still be better served by believing there was? )
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 10:14 pm
Doktor S wrote:
a bornigen crease-tien

of course.
Oh.

I see you've scared her away now.
0 Replies

Theophilus

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 02:21 am
Hello everyone,

A quick question, pertinent to this thread, for all those who doubt the veracity of the Christian faith:

Do you believe in absolute truth?

May God bless you
0 Replies

cyberman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 02:49 am
Doktor S wrote:
One question for the bornigen.

What is explained by a supernatural god that is not better explained through natural means?

I would say nothing. I'd like you to prove me wrong.

But I won't hold my breath.

Well, 'prove' is a bit of a tall order isn't it?

But here is an idea.

By 'supernatural' you mean 'outside of the physics', 'not part of the stuff of space, time, energy, matter, which is the physical universe'.

Now, take the first cause argument. (I'll assume you are well read enough to know it so I won't go through all the detail). In brief, the idea is that you either believe in an infinite regression of causes, or you believe that there was a first cause. This thing must be unlike all observed phenomena, in that it (a) exists without being caused and (b) confers existence upon other stuff.

It is not unreasonable to believe this. Neither is it unreasonable to disbelieve it.

If such a first cause exists, then it seems it would have to be outside of, or not part of, the physical universe. Observation suggests that it is reasonable to believe that the cause of the universe is not part of the universe itself - it is reasonable to believe that an effect cannot be it's own cause. It is also reasonanable to believe otherwise. Conflicting conclusions can both be reasonable.

That being the case, I would say that the existence of stuff is not "better explained" by natural rather than supernatural means. One could argue for a natural explanation - either an infinite regression of causes, or stuff causing itself - but I think at best these are as good as, not better than, the idea of a cause outside of the stuff - in other words 'supernatural'.

cheers

cyberman
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:20 am
heya guys. i may need to catch up on what you've been chatting about as i'm only on here during certain times so i apologize if my replies are somewhat delayed. i think that to prove anything is a difficult task to do, but please i ask you not to come into this forum with a certain view that you are not open to change. if you are hell-bent on proving everybody else wrong, yet not prepared to accept their views, i don't think your argument is worthy as you have only considered one side (thats not an accusation, just a point.) so, i'll read what you've said now.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:07 am
Quote:
i ask you not to come into this forum with a certain view that you are not open to change.

rockpie- Can you ask the same thing of yourself that you are asking of other people???
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:09 am
yes of course. i am willing to listen to everybodys views. i will obviously argue against them but i never claimed to discount anything you may say.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:12 am
Quote:
i will obviously argue against them

rockpie- You have a certain frame of reference. Now what would happen if someone wrote something that caused you to scratch your head and wonder whether your "take" on something had been correct. Would you admit it?
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:14 am
yes i would admit it. your explanation for speaking in tongues left me scratching my head and i have admitted it. hows that? i am a Christian yes, but i don't think i'm ignorant to the views of others.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:44 am
rockpie wrote:
yes i would admit it. your explanation for speaking in tongues left me scratching my head and i have admitted it. hows that? i am a Christian yes, but i don't think i'm ignorant to the views of others.
Paul predicted that tongues will cease. (See 1Corinthians 13:8) Since the purpose of speaking in foreign languages was to give a witness in a time where the NT had yet to be written, it is safe to say that speaking in tongues today is at the least unnecessary and at worst, spurious.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:00 am
cyberman wrote:
Now, take the first cause argument.

Sure - piece of cake.

The first axiom of your First Cause Argument, predicate to the entire argument, is that all that happens has a cause. The second axiom, requisite to the argument's development, is that something (the universe) came from nothing. Taken together, these 2 axioms lead to the declaration that something caused the universe to come into existence. Proceeding from there, the First Cause argument concludes by assigning causality to a deistic entity.

First, quantum physics demonstrates your first axiom to be invalid; any number of quantum process are observed to occur randomly, without cause, therefor, it is absurd to stipulate everything has a cause. That aside, as Hume demonstrated, "cause" and "effect" are but human notions derived through human experience; we observe that "B" follows "A", and, seeing only that "B" happened after "A", presume "A" to be the cause of "B". That presumption itself is an absurdity; we observe only that "A" precedes "B", anything beyond that is mere conjecture. Your first axiom fails.

Turning to your second axiom, that something (the Universe) came from nothing is but presumption. We, a subset of the universe, do observe the universe - we're here, and we're having this discussion. Space and time are indivorceable, they are the same thing; spacetime. Spacetime as we observe it, the yardstick by which we observe and measure our observable universe, came into being with the emergence of our universe some 14 Billion years ago. That we observe the universe as we do is a consequence of the universe we observe, that, only that, and nothing more, less, or otherwise else; there is no reason to assume this be the only extant universe and there is substantial reason to conclude otherwise, substantial, multiply evidenced and cross-corroborative reason borne of mathematics, physics, and logic. Your second axiom fails.

Bereft of valid foundational axioms, your declaration that something (the universe) came from nothing is meaningless, a circumstance which perforce renders your conclusion - that God caused the universe - no less meaningless and, consequently, equally absurd.

With all that, we've not even examined the ramifications of determining whether there be or not be any such thing as a god or gods. The proposition that a god or gods created the universe is dependent upon the proposition there be a god or gods. One cannot demonstrate the former, that a god or gods created the universe, without first establishing its requisite antecedent, that there be a god or gods.
0 Replies

cyberman

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 11:11 am
timberlandko wrote:

First, quantum physics demonstrates your first axiom to be invalid; any number of quantum process are observed to occur randomly, without cause, therefor, it is absurd to stipulate everything has a cause. That aside, as Hume demonstrated, "cause" and "effect" are but human notions derived through human experience; we observe that "B" follows "A", and, seeing only that "B" happened after "A", presume "A" to be the cause of "B". That presumption itself is an absurdity; we observe only that "A" precedes "B", anything beyond that is mere conjecture. Your first axiom fails.

I disagree. First of all, quantum physics does indeed reveal events without apparent cause. This does not, however, render absurd the notion that events have a cause. Quantum evenst occur within spacetime - this does not address the question of the origins of spacetime. Quantum events are not the spontaneous generation of matter in a universe where matter does not already exist. How the energy/matter came to be in that place and that time is indiscernable. That doesn't mean new matter has been added to the universe.

timberlandko wrote:

Turning to your second axiom, that something (the Universe) came from nothing is but presumption. We, a subset of the universe, do observe the universe - we're here, and we're having this discussion. Space and time are indivorceable, they are the same thing; spacetime. Spacetime as we observe it, the yardstick by which we observe and measure our observable universe, came into being with the emergence of our universe some 14 Billion years ago. That we observe the universe as we do is a consequence of the universe we observe, that, only that, and nothing more, less, or otherwise else; there is no reason to assume this be the only extant universe and there is substantial reason to conclude otherwise, substantial, multiply evidenced and cross-corroborative reason borne of mathematics, physics, and logic. Your second axiom fails.

I disagree. the 'universe' is, by definition, everything that is. If what we think of as the universe is only a part of a greater universe, then that only shows that the universe is bigger than it seems to be from where we are sitting. ( I am using the word 'bigger' flippantly, not scientifically). You have not addressed the question of why and how there is anything, rather than nothing.

Do bear in mind that I did not claim the first cause argument is conclusive, only that it is reasonable.

cheers

cyberman
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 12:01 pm
" Christianity - True or Not?"

I cite a statement that I have previously cited as nausem, but it's so important that it bears repeating. So get ready to vomit.

"Every religion is true in that it is metaphorical of the human and cosmic mystery, but if you get stuck to the metaphor, then you're in trouble." Joseph Campbell

By "getting stuck to the metaphor" Campbell means taking your own myths and religious symbols literally, because if all religions take their symbols literally, then there is conflict. Using this rationale, it would'nt matter if Jesus had ever lived or not because the subjective feeling of the follower is still valid. The story is simply a way to manifest the religious heart and pass it onto future generations. Parents do their children an immense disservice to imply that the religious symbols and images are to be taken literally. Maybe, at first it's okay, but not later when they ask questions. To demand blind obedience is tyranny and prevents true religious feelings.

Just like we don't expect children to believe in Santa Claus literally as they get older, we still expect them to express the spirit of "giving" at Christmas. Belief in a literal S. Claus is not the Christmas spirit, the underlying feeling of giving is the spirit.
0 Replies