Christianity - True or Not?

JLNobody

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 05:01 pm
Reincarnation is not at all essential to the metaphysics and psychology of Buddhism. It is essential mainly to the caste extrapolations of Hinduism. Buddhism is, TO SOME EXTENT, Hinduism without reincarnation and the resulting rigid social hierarchy.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 10:54 am
Where are all the Christians??

Come and defend your faith!!!!!!
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:09 am
What's to defend? If Allah, Yaweh (two names for the same Entity or Force?) cannot defend Itself wilthout human intervention, what does that say for the Entity/Force?
What you may be calling on the Christians to do, Abid, is to defend their IDEAS about their diety of choice. Right?
My Reality needs no defense, and my ideas about it are not really defensible.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 13 Dec, 2006 11:15 am
Abid, apart from the general objections to religion as a whole (none of which objections have been validly countered), nothing requiring a defense - neither valid challenge to Christianity nor establishment of superiority for any other religion - has been presented to this point in this discussion. What has been offered in this discussion by way of defense of or challenge to any religion amounts to nothing but claim without substantiation beyond self-reference.

I challenge you to demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid, academically sound manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:17 am
JLNobody wrote:
What's to defend? If Allah, Yaweh (two names for the same Entity or Force?) cannot defend Itself wilthout human intervention, what does that say for the Entity/Force?
What you may be calling on the Christians to do, Abid, is to defend their IDEAS about their diety of choice. Right?

What reality are you talking about?
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:20 am
timberlandko wrote:
Abid, apart from the general objections to religion as a whole (none of which objections have been validly countered), nothing requiring a defense - neither valid challenge to Christianity nor establishment of superiority for any other religion - has been presented to this point in this discussion. What has been offered in this discussion by way of defense of or challenge to any religion amounts to nothing but claim without substantiation beyond self-reference.

I challenge you to demonstrate objectively and in forensically valid, academically sound manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

Were you created from nothing?
Did you create yourself?
Were you created?
Answer this question and you will find your answer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:48 am
Abid wrote:

Nope; your question is based on an illicit premis, therefore meaningless, perforce, an absurdity; proximately, a whole buncha biochemistry was involved, ultimately, biochemistry evolved as a consequence of the physics pertaining to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe.
Quote:
Did you create yourself?

See above
Quote:
Were you created?

See above

Quote:

You've presented no question, you've merely offered an absurdity. Now, once again, the challenge put to you is that you demonstrate, in objective, logical, forensically valid, academically sound manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Abid wrote:

Nope; your question is based on an illicit premis, therefore meaningless, perforce, an absurdity; proximately, a whole buncha biochemistry was involved, ultimately, biochemistry evolved as a consequence of the physics pertaining to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe.
Quote:
Did you create yourself?

See above
Quote:
Were you created?

See above

Quote:

You've presented no question, you've merely offered an absurdity. Now, once again, the challenge put to you is that you demonstrate, in objective, logical, forensically valid, academically sound manner that religious faith be differentiable from superstition.

Was matter eternally pre-existent, timber?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:31 pm
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Abid wrote:

Quote:
Did you create yourself?

See above
Quote:
Were you created?

See above

Quote:

I'm not timber, but I'll throw my answer in here.

Maybe.
Maybe not.
Who knows?
How do they know?
What proof do you have?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:37 pm
maporsche wrote:
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Abid wrote:

Quote:
Did you create yourself?

See above
Quote:
Were you created?

See above

Quote:

I'm not timber,

I've noticed that. Your answers are short and to the point.

maporsche wrote:
but I'll throw my answer in here.

Maybe.
Maybe not.
Who knows?
How do they know?
What proof do you have?

I appreciate your honest input.

So, if this is 'unknown' in your view, what is your opinion of timber's contention that Abid's question

Abid wrote:

is based on an illicit premise?

Is it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 11:49 pm
real life wrote:

That also is an absurdity, not a question. Time, space, matter and energy as we observe, experience and understand them are consequent to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe. One may conjecture as one wishes, however in point of fact the only honest, adequate, realistic "answer" to your absurdity is "insufficient data at this time" - your guess is equal to the guess of anyone else inclined to hazard a guess. Personally, I'm not so inclined; as opposed to hazarding a guess, I simply, honestly admit "insufficient data at this time". Now, while I stipulate the possibility of a god or gods, I offer to that "question" precisely the same answer; "insufficient data at this time". I see nothing to differentiate any deistic concept from folkloric construct. Og, the rabbit, the cave and the bright light with scary noises that makes fire - and off we go into the realm of guesses. I'm fascinated by myth, mystery and fairytales, and have devoted much thought and study to same, but I just can't buy into them. Guesses are games.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:08 am
JLNobody wrote:

Don't worry, this is the same thing the unbelievers told their Prophets. Why doesn't Allah punish for what we say?

If We postpone the punishment for them for a limited time, they will ask: "What is holding it back?" No, indeed! The day it reaches them it will not be averted, and the things they mocked will encompass them. (Surah Hud, 8)
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:03 am
timberlandko wrote:
Abid wrote:

Quote:
Did you create yourself?

See above
Quote:
Were you created?

See above

Quote:

No answer I see.

For all your clever words, you cant answer three simple questions.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:14 am
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:

That also is an absurdity, not a question. Time, space, matter and energy as we observe, experience and understand them are consequent to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe. One may conjecture as one wishes, however in point of fact the only honest, adequate, realistic "answer" to your absurdity is "insufficient data at this time" - your guess is equal to the guess of anyone else inclined to hazard a guess. Personally, I'm not so inclined; as opposed to hazarding a guess, I simply, honestly admit "insufficient data at this time". Now, while I stipulate the possibility of a god or gods, I offer to that "question" precisely the same answer; "insufficient data at this time". I see nothing to differentiate any deistic concept from folkloric construct. Og, the rabbit, the cave and the bright light with scary noises that makes fire - and off we go into the realm of guesses. I'm fascinated by myth, mystery and fairytales, and have devoted much thought and study to same, but I just can't buy into them. Guesses are games.

Insufficient data.?

OK, i've said this on other posts so I doubt it will be acknowledged.

How can you honestly believe that the prophets Moses (as), Jesus(as), Mohammed (saw) and the rest did not live and perform miracles when thousands of people witnessed them?

If I sat here and told you Oh I know this guy once who used to cure lepers and raise the dead, would you believe me??
And even if you did, would anyone else believe it??

This idea is absurd.

The Quran is a lasting evidence for mankind - memorized by millions so that its authenticity can never be lost or forgotten. children as young as 6 have memorized it back to back.

If they can do this now, how about at the time when the prophet actually lived?

You atheists need to open another thread somewhere questioning the existince of God as we keep going of topic.

We are supposed to be exploring the specifics: I.e Christianity, not religion itself.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:22 am
Are there any prophecies in the Bible?
Have they come true?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:52 am
Abid, you say certain figures, as referenced in sectarian texts, performed miracles witnessed by multitudes. Why might there be no mention of these purported workings of miracles witnessed by multitudes external to the sectarian texts claiming them? You say "... If I sat here and told you Oh I know this guy once who used to cure lepers and raise the dead, would you believe me??
And even if you did, would anyone else believe it??
... " - I say that precisely is the case with the claims extant only in sectarian texts; no independent corroboration, naught but claim without substantiation, no verification is at hand. Why should anyone believe fantastic claims found only in single sources, sources of undisputed intent to promote a particular agenda? THAT[/i] idea is absurd on its very face.

As for rote learning, that proves nothing beyond that rote learning is achievable - nothing special there; that pretty much is entailed within the concept of pre-literate oral traditions.

You offer a straw man when you say " ... You atheists need to open another thread somewhere questioning the existince of God as we keep going of topic.

We are supposed to be exploring the specifics: I.e Christianity, not religion itself
... "
Nowhere can you find any statement I have made which would validate your including me in what you term "you atheists" - not only never have I professed any such belief set, I specifically and at length and in detail have differentiated my relevant POV from that belief set. Your intended objection fails by virtue of being without foundation. Additionally, the topic here at discussion in fact is and perforce must be at root religion in the abstract, the Abrahamic Mythopaeia in particular, and the Christian subset of that broader mythopaeia in specific - without validating the concepts requisite to each, there is no rational basis for objective discussion of any.

Finally, you ask "Are there any prophecies in the Bible?
Have they come true
"
I don't see where you're going here - the Bible purports many prophesies and offers claim of fulfillment of same. Both the nature and validity of the purported prophesies and the nature and validity of their purported fulfillments objectively are subject to question; the claims exist without independent, external corroboration. Nothing relevant thereunto has been validated in objective, logical, academically sound, forensically valid manner; pertaining thereunto are nothing but unsubstantiated, self-referrencing, circular claims with no authority other than that contained within the claims themselves.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 16 Dec, 2006 11:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:

That also is an absurdity, not a question.

If you think something absurd just because you don't know the answer, then there's a lot of absurdity out there, eh?

timberlandko wrote:
Time, space, matter and energy as we observe, experience and understand them are consequent to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe.

So, what proof do you have of such a 'singularity'?

Of what was it composed?

Where did it come from?

What happened to it after our universe 'emerged from it'?

timberlandko wrote:
One may conjecture as one wishes, however in point of fact the only honest, adequate, realistic "answer" to your absurdity is "insufficient data at this time" - your guess is equal to the guess of anyone else inclined to hazard a guess. Personally, I'm not so inclined; as opposed to hazarding a guess, I simply, honestly admit "insufficient data at this time". Now, while I stipulate the possibility of a god or gods, I offer to that "question" precisely the same answer; "insufficient data at this time". I see nothing to differentiate any deistic concept from folkloric construct. Og, the rabbit, the cave and the bright light with scary noises that makes fire - and off we go into the realm of guesses. I'm fascinated by myth, mystery and fairytales, and have devoted much thought and study to same, but I just can't buy into them. Guesses are games.

Why can't you admit that such a singularity is a guess?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 12:20 am
Anyone eve see the original Star Trek episode where Kirk and his crew encounter this "matter/anti-matter" guy, who had to do eternal battle with his counter part in some other dimension - throughout eternity?

Oh, what makes me think of that? I just flashed on it reading through another exchange on God/no God between real life and timber.

Both know they will never convince the other, but neither can abandon the argument.

As Spock would say - Fascinating.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 17 Dec, 2006 02:15 am
real life wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
real life wrote:

That also is an absurdity, not a question.

If you think something absurd just because you don't know the answer, then there's a lot of absurdity out there, eh?

More straw and ignorance from rl. Absurd is the question's entailed implication of the indefinable "eternally", and absurd is the question's entailed implicaytion that that which we term "matter" has any meaning beyond our observable universe. That which we term matter is a consequence of the singularity from which emerged oiur observable universe, and at root is but a manifestation of energy. e=Mc², and all that.

timberlandko wrote:
Time, space, matter and energy as we observe, experience and understand them are consequent to the singularity from which emerged our observable universe.

Quote:
So, what proof do you have of such a 'singularity'?

The Planck Horizon and the Cosmic Background Radiation Constant permit no other conclusion. Barring further evidence to the contrary, its the best conclusion permitted by the (ever mounting) evidence.

Quote:
Of what was it composed?

Raw energy, apparently.

Quote:
Where did it come from?

What happened to it after our universe 'emerged from it'?

Given that both "Where" and "When" are functions of Spacetime, which as we observe, experience, and understand it, came into being with the emergence of our observable universe, your question is yet another absurdity.

timberlandko wrote:
One may conjecture as one wishes, however in point of fact the only honest, adequate, realistic "answer" to your absurdity is "insufficient data at this time" - your guess is equal to the guess of anyone else inclined to hazard a guess. Personally, I'm not so inclined; as opposed to hazarding a guess, I simply, honestly admit "insufficient data at this time". Now, while I stipulate the possibility of a god or gods, I offer to that "question" precisely the same answer; "insufficient data at this time". I see nothing to differentiate any deistic concept from folkloric construct. Og, the rabbit, the cave and the bright light with scary noises that makes fire - and off we go into the realm of guesses. I'm fascinated by myth, mystery and fairytales, and have devoted much thought and study to same, but I just can't buy into them. Guesses are games.

Quote:
Why can't you admit that such a singularity is a guess?

There's a vast and critically functional difference between a "guess" and a scientifically valid theory. A "guess" may be - often is - absent any evidentiary basis whatsoever. I can "guess" you're blond, or that you wear glasses, or that you have 6 fingers on one hand. From the available evidence, however, I can reasonably conclude you hsave access to an internet-connected communication device, that you frequent this website, and that you prefer to present a religio-philosophical point of view which is significantly at odds with the point of view common to the legitimate scientific and academic communities. From your manner of interaction in these discussions, I must conclude you are not stupid. That leaves me to guess whether the ignorance you persistently display through your posts would be honestly disingenuous or willfully mendacious. I suspect you are honest ... but of course, that's just a guess.

Oh, and snood - never have I mainained there be no god or gods - quite, and most specifically, the contrary. Once again, I will state I freely stipulate to the possibility there might be; while I know of nothing which would categorically preclude such a circumstance, never on these boards have I seen so much as a compelling, to say nothing of valid, argument for any religionist proposition. I am well aware of - quite familiar with, in fact - many arguments for the proposition which are well-formed, logical, and even to some greater or lesser extent somewhat compelling, though it would appear nobody presenting any religionist point of view here knows of any such arguments.
0 Replies

Abid

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:07 am
If you believe there is a God, or there may be a God.

Do you logically presume that he in his inifnate wisdom would have left us without any guidance after our creation?
0 Replies