THE DANGER OF GUN-FREE SCHOOL ZONES

parados

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:44 pm
@genefog2,
Quote:
Wake up! How bout that idea! Lopcks on classroom doors? Uh, newsflash friend, but hiding behind doors was what the faculty were doing when they and the students got shot to bits by thugs.

The doors weren't locked because they didn't have locks on them. I'll bet you have locks on the doors to your house and use them with a certain expectation that it works better than unlocked doors.

Quote:
Your gun bans and your hiding have all failed
Get hysterical much? What gun bans? What hiding? Locked doors serve a purpose. They are locked to keep people out.

Quote:
Part of your problem is you think everyone is a criminal and dont give those of us who have owned guns for years any credit for having any sense
No, I don't think everyone is a criminal. You on the other hand seem intent to prove you really do have no sense.

Quote:
We dont hide behind locks while thugs shoot at us. We shoot back, and we get rid of the thugs.
I am curious how many thugs you have shot at. I am also curious where you live that you never lock your door.
parados

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 12:54 pm
@genefog2,
Quote:
Oh wow, one incident where some guy is careless and hurts himself, yeah. The other day I notched my finger with a knife.

Gosh... if only we armed all the teachers no one would be careless.

It's human nature to be careless at times. The difference between a knife and a gun is you don't hear of too many accidental deaths from knives. Guns on the other hand often kill people that the person with the gun didn't intend to hurt.

Quote:
The question is whether gun shows get shot up by thugs. No, they prefer nice safe places like schools.

Gun shows happen one week a year for 4 days.
School happens 30 weeks a year for 5 days a week.
IF schools were so unsafe we should see 30-100 times as many shootings in schools as at gun shows. I have chronicled 5 instances of shootings at gun shows so far this year. The instances of shootings at schools is less than that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:22 pm
@parados,
Would you look at that....
Another gun range shooting this week.
http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/21348198/two-injured-in-accidental-gun-range-shooting
Quote:
WHITFIELD COUNTY, GA. (WRCB) -- A Cleveland woman is recovering at a north Georgia hospital after being shot in the legs.

It happened at a gun range in Whitfield County.

The woman's husband was also injured when investigators say a 12-year-old girl dropped a shot gun, causing it to fire.
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 01:39 pm
@parados,
Be careful out there
genefog2

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:14 am
@parados,
The straw man is that some stupid ban on guns will solve the problem.
The fact is that is stupid beyond belief, and every time a shot is fired in a gun free zone it proves it again. I made my point, I dont expect you to believe it.
genefog2

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:20 am
@farmerman,
You're right, I'm in denial. Countless people have been brutally murdered by killers in gun free zones that were there to protect them. Gun bans and control miserably failed. Every day in this country people protect themselves from violent criminals with guns by using guns against them in hands that would otherwise be helpless. Deny that. Gun ban supporters would deny anything till they are the ones looking into the eyes of danger themselves, till then they want everyone else empty handed.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:25 am

IMAGINE THE DANGER OF A GUN-FREE NATION
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:30 am
@genefog2,
Quote:
The straw man is that some stupid ban on guns will solve the problem.
Quote:
The fact is that is stupid beyond belief

Yes, your statement is silly but if you want to call it "stupid beyond belief" that is fine. A straw man is when someone misrepresents an argument so they can defeat it. You have misrepresented my argument by claiming I want to ban guns thus creating a straw man.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 08:55 am
@genefog2,
Quote:
You're right, I'm in denial. Countless people have been brutally murdered by killers in gun free zones that were there to protect them.

Actually, you are in denial.
297 people killed in school shootings since 1987.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/12/sandy_hook_a_chart_of_all_196_fatal_school_shootings_since_1980_map.html

Most people that die from guns don't die in gun free zones. In the same time that 297 people were killed in school shootings, over 250,000 murders were committed with guns. Many 0f those happened in homes which were not gun free.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 09:41 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

Be careful out there

APD: Person shoots herself outside Grady High School

Enough already!, it's about time that gun safety is part of government school curriculum
genefog2

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 08:28 am
@parados,
I'm sorry, I forgot how well the locked doors have worked protecting people as they cowerr helplessly and hope that the cops will get there in time to save them from the law breaking criminals who ignored the signs forbidding them from carrying guns. Oh yes indeed, these people who were shot to death running and hiding were morrally superior for having been disarmed and hiding. I do hope they made mention of that on their grave stones.

As for how many thugs I've dealt with, I have dealt with four confrontations in my life, two of them the other party saw my gun and backed down, which was the desired outcome. Two others responded to intimidating yelling and profanity on my part by backing down, again the desired outcome. You can make whatever comments you like about that, I doubt you will have anyting original. As for your comments about locks, everybody has locks. Criminals break locks and doors, and having a gun makes the victim equal or superior to the attacker depending ont he circumstances but it dam sure makes them not empty handed and therefore helpless. So, how many times have you hidden behind a locked door and felt morally superior when your life was in danger? Given your overall attitude of disdain for my view point on this, I strongly suspect that an attacking chihuahua was the worst threat you ever faced.
parados

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:05 pm
@genefog2,
Locked doors tend to be a deterrent. In fact locked doors have prevented more crimes than guns ever have. The majority of burglaries are committed because of opportunity most often caused by a door not being locked. Those criminals passed up dozens of locked doors before they found an open one.

If someone is on a rampage hoping to shoot as many people as possible, why would he stop to break through a locked door if there is an open door somewhere else? The problem is that when the only tool you have is a gun, you think every instance requires you brandish that gun. In reality there are multiple responses to situations and many of them are more effective than a gun depending on the circumstances.

Quote:
So, how many times have you hidden behind a locked door and felt morally superior when your life was in danger?
My life has never been in danger when I have been behind a locked door. Perhaps you don't understand the concept of a locked door and being behind it. If someone were to break through that locked door then I would no longer be behind a locked door so your question makes no sense at all.

Quote:
Given your overall attitude of disdain for my view point on this, I strongly suspect that an attacking chihuahua was the worst threat you ever faced.
Since your only response is a gun, I suspect you have never had to actually use your intelligence in any situation. I'm sure shooting an attacking chihuahua is your only response whereas I can think of a dozen different responses that would require no gun.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 02:06 pm
@genefog2,
By the way..... another fatal shooting at a gun range over the weekend.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/man-killed-after-apparent-accident-with-his-own-gun-at-maryland-shooting-range/article/2523103
Quote:
A man died at a shooting range in Waldorf, Md., Saturday after what police think was an accidental gun discharge.

Police found Patrick Allen Richards, 61, of Hughesville, Md., dead from a gunshot wound at the St. Charles Sportsman's Club around 9:23 a.m., the Associated Press reported.

Police said Richards was apparently at the shooting range to practice with his own gun. While there, the gun accidentally discharged, shooting Richards in the upper body, police said.
H2O MAN

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 05:25 pm
@parados,
Tell us how this tragic loss impacts you? How do you feel?
parados

Reply Mon 4 Mar, 2013 07:29 pm
@H2O MAN,
It tells me that gun ranges are a lot more deadly than schools.
There are more schools than gun ranges in the US.
There are more people at schools than gun ranges in the US.
More people have died from gun shot wounds at gun ranges in the US this year than in schools.
More people have been injured by guns at gun ranges than have been injured by guns in schools this year.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:16 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Be careful out there

APD: Person shoots herself outside Grady High School

Enough already!, it's about time that gun safety is part of
government school curriculum
That is very true.
If thay can teach safe swimming,
then thay can teach safe n accurate gunnery practice.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:21 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

More people have died from gun shot wounds at gun ranges in the US this year than in schools.
More people have been injured by guns at gun ranges than have been injured by guns in schools this year.

What is the source of your statistics?
The Brady anti-Gun campaign ?
Advocate

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 02:52 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:

What is the source of your statistics?
The Brady anti-Gun campaign ?

David, I am glad to see that you are as cantankerous as ever. No one at the NRA is more pro-gun than you.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:37 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Which fact do you think is wrong?

Do you think there are more gun ranges than schools?
Do you think more people frequent gun ranges than schools?

For deaths and injuries at gun ranges vs schools I have relied on news reports.
If you know of shootings at schools this year let us know. I only know of one accidental shooting outside a school and 2 intentional shootings at schools.

Here are just a smattering of the incidents at gun ranges this year.

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/mc-c-upper-gwynedd-hatfield-police-officer-shot-20130205,0,1234541.story
http://www.koco.com/news/oklahomanews/edmond/FBI-agent-accidentally-shot-at-Oklahoma-gun-range/-/11777934/18086810/-/muf6ckz/-/index.html
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/story/21383924/no-charges-expected-in-ga-shooting-range-accident
http://bradenton.patch.com/articles/woman-accidentally-shoots-fiance-at-gun-range-when-hot-casing-falls-in-her-shirt
http://howell.patch.com/articles/howell-police-respond-to-accidental-shooting-at-academy-gun-range
http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/austin/man-shot-at-pflugerville-gun-range
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2266028/Wood-County-Rifle-Range-Tragedy-man-critical-condition-accidentally-shot-father.html

Deaths
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2013/feb/02/jensen-beach-man-dies-after-shooting-self-in/
http://www.wowt.com/news/headlines/Deputies-Investigate-Shooting-Range-Death-189558761.html
http://washingtonexaminer.com/man-killed-after-apparent-accident-with-his-own-gun-at-maryland-shooting-range/article/2523103
0 Replies

genefog2

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:08 pm
@parados,
And there were several thousand deaths with automobiles that same weekend. What is your point? We should ban accidents? We should get rid of everything that has accidnets? Oh, thats right, you dont like guns so you want to single guns out. I forgot. Guess what, a guy almost ran over me on my motorcyle today. Should I get rid of it? I wont get rid of my guns or my motorcycle friend. Especially if one little gun range incident is the best you can do. I've been to countless reenactments, gun shows and and gun ranges without issue. I've had more trouble with losers on the highway who cause accidents. Maybe we should ban cars, ya think????