That's a beautiful dress you're wearing, Mrs. Cleaver

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:52 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Ok, Chai. I guess the word "relationship" with regard to a kid means something different to me than it does to you.

relationship - 2 people that associate with/relate to each other on some level.

I have a relationship with every human being I know.

By that definition it's impossible to keep Mo out of a relationship with Eddie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:53 pm
But, lest I not be clear, I do agree with keeping E. Haskell's influence at minimum.

Or at least I think I do.

Are there any psychological writeups about Eddie Haskel-ness, its discontents, and what to do about it?

Remembering that Soz had a similar problem with neighbor child - at least re sneakiness - not so long ago.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:56 pm
I have a few uncertainties here. I believe in going with your gut, there is a big difference in ages here. 5 and 8 are very different in maturity and experience.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 08:06 pm
martybarker wrote:
I have a few uncertainties here. I believe in going with your gut, there is a big difference in ages here. 5 and 8 are very different in maturity and experience.

You know, I asked my husband about this situation before. He asked me the ages of the kids.

I told him that the younger one was 5 I think, and all I know is the other one is older, I guessed a year or 2..

He said....At that age (meaning 5) a child one or 2 years older than them is like comparing a 30 year old and a 55 year old. There's just so much difference.

I agree with him, and you marty.

I remember being in first grade, a third grader could very well been in high school, as far as how I could relate to them. They were the "big kids"

Someone in 8th grade was definately an adult.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 08:19 pm
I don't know that any of us are arguing with that, Chai. Though I suppose there is a possible argument, the older child could be of low intelligence, but it doesn't immediately seem so. Mo is certainly vulnerable, and could use a different boy to play with than this one. But, the boy is there, and will be there. Mo is hard to put into a protective bubble, and some efforts might make Haskell more attractive.

I just don't know.

I'm also not yet convinced that this little E. Haskell is evil incarnate, though I do agree with the watching.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:49 am
I think I may have misinterpreted the situation. Embarrassed Sorry. I was under the impression that Eddie was a trouble-maker.

Also sounds like the neighbourhood may be set up a lil dif than I thought.

Oh well, hope all goes well.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:25 am
Bomer, I think you have the right approach. You're keeping an eye on the situation and can take sterner action should the need arise.

Chai, Take a chill pill, dear.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:44 am
Chai Tea wrote:
You know, I asked my husband about this situation before. He asked me the ages of the kids.

I told him that the younger one was 5 I think, and all I know is the other one is older, I guessed a year or 2..

He said....At that age (meaning 5) a child one or 2 years older than them is like comparing a 30 year old and a 55 year old. There's just so much difference...

Um.

Gotta express a dissenting opinion, here....

The differences between five and eight are in no way comparable to the differences between 10 and 16, 25 and 40, 50 and 80....

Yaya is almost exactly twice as old as Keetah at this point... but they play, giggle, and dance together just fine.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:59 am
Yeah. One of sozlet's best friends is exactly that age difference -- sozlet's 5, her friend is 8. They spent a bunch of time together this weekend, had a great time.

I think a central thing here is that boomer doesn't know whether Eddie hit Mo purposely. With kids, accidents happen. It's not good for anyone involved if there are too severe of consequences for an actual accident. At the same time, since there is a possibility it was nefarious, "supervised only" contact is protective and will provide more info. It also makes the whole thing a little less absolute and therefore more palatable (read: more likely that they'll both follow rules) to Mo and Eddie.

I think everyone assumes that if it becomes obvious, under observation, that Eddie is a true danger and not just a rascally charmer with an errant golf-club grip that he will become absolutely off-limits.

Boomer, do you have much contact with Nic's mom? I still think that what I originally suggested with Eddie's step-mom could work as phase one, but that may be necessary, too, if they have contact at Nic's house, out of view. If you enlist Nic's mom in letting you know when Eddie shows up, that could make the whole thing more practical. (Then you go get Mo, protests or no.)

Are the girls protective of Mo?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:16 am
If this situation was just a little different I'd be right there with Chai and the no pussyfooting policy so I see where she's coming from.

My house if the field hospital for the playground wounded. I buy band-aids and bactine in bulk. Some kid is always limping in here with some injury that is someone else's "fault". I don't want to start a lawsuit parade.

I was waiting until today to talk to Nic's mom - thinking that while the kids are away at school we wouldn't be overheard by the tattle-tale brigade. Nic's older brother is best friends with Eddie's older sister so I know that mom knows the family well.

And I think I will talk to Eddie's step-mom saying "When they play in a group things seem fine but when it's just the two of them, trouble seems to follow. Eddie, being older, is allowed to do things that Mo isn't and Mo wants to do the things Eddie gets to do. I'm going to have to limit Mo's playing with Eddie to group activities."

Eddie's step-mom is a reasonable gal so I think it'll be okay.

The girls do kind of look out for Mo in the way that six and seven year olds do: they get busy with something and forget to do head counts.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:18 am
Sounds good, boomer.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 04:53 pm
So... Mo could be cast as the Poky Little Puppy?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 06:36 pm
Uhhhh..... maybe?

What does the Pokey Little Puppy have to do with the price of tea?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 3 Oct, 2006 10:00 pm
boomerang wrote:
The girls do kind of look out for Mo in the way that six and seven year olds do: they get busy with something and forget to do head counts.

This just reminds me of the Pokey Little Puppy series....
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:12 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Is this the oil thread?

Here you go Gus...

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83898&highlight=
0 Replies