Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2011 07:43 pm

that philosophy and attitude which holds Humanity in its power

such as any religion , which both has evil and god
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 06:07 am
@RexRed,
RexRed wrote:

Life has many pleasures but only a few precious charms. Smile If you think that is stupid then perhaps we have different values and that is fine also. I don't take sex for granted as if it is owed to me but I value it so my partner knows that I am aware of their special gifts.

Well, now you're just being dishonest. First you said "life's only charm", now you're saying life has " a few precious charms". A little different. The use of the word "only" was all I thought was stupid.
RexRed

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2011 11:30 am
@snood,
snood wrote:

RexRed wrote:

Life has many pleasures but only a few precious charms. Smile If you think that is stupid then perhaps we have different values and that is fine also. I don't take sex for granted as if it is owed to me but I value it so my partner knows that I am aware of their special gifts.

Well, now you're just being dishonest. First you said "life's only charm", now you're saying life has " a few precious charms". A little different. The use of the word "only" was all I thought was stupid.

"Only" for someone monogamous, "many" for the non-monogamous.
0 Replies

xxxx

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 02:52 am
@RexRed,
evil doesn't exist it's a lack of good
RexRed

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 04:44 am
@xxxx,
xxxx wrote:

evil doesn't exist it's a lack of good

You seem to be quoting Einstein, I agree in principle but remember Einstein could not define gravity...
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 07:01 am
@RexRed,
...as I see it, "lack of good" regarding "agency" can be clarified as lack in understanding...in more ample abstract terms "lack of good" is lack of resolution, delay...imply s a limited relative perspective upon a continuing process in the world which goes beyond the here an now...or to put it simply, suffering (delay) is not a final state but a necessary transitional state without which value or the fulfilling of needs would be meaningless as needs would not be in place to start with...

...as needing is missing, and missing is suffering, "evil" is a necessary condition for "good", which in turn is just the reference to "resolution", "fulfilment", or "completeness"...
RexRed

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:10 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...as I see it, "lack of good" regarding "agency" can be clarified as lack in understanding...in more ample abstract terms "lack of good" is lack of resolution, delay...imply s a limited relative perspective upon a continuing process in the world which goes beyond the here an now...or to put it simply, suffering (delay) is not a final state but a necessary transitional state without which value or the fulfilling of needs would be meaningless as needs would not be in place to start with...

...as needing is missing, and missing is suffering, "evil" is a necessary condition for "good", which in turn is just the reference to "resolution", "fulfilment", or "completeness"...

Are you saying we need hell in order for heaven to exist? Smile
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2012 01:49 pm
@RexRed,
...everyday...
RexRed

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 08:44 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...everyday...

Are you saying part of God is evil too? Mischievous?
JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:52 am
We are asked by the OP to "Define evil". As stated that merely requests the conventional meaning(s) of the term, " evil". But I suspect we are actually asked to DESCRIBE the essential nature of the reified term.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:54 am
@RexRed,
On that regard I may say competing systems in nature need not disclose their tactics...there, that fits your "mischievous", and is very natural of course...
...essentially I just honestly believe suffering is part of the deal and it serves a purpose, without it pleasure and resolution make no sense, as without it you don't learn anything tangible...when you got nothing to loose winning ends up as a pretty cheap challenge...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2012 09:57 am
@RexRed,
We need the CONCEPT of "hell" in order to have the CONCEPT of "heaven". Both ideas have no empirical referents, unless we spead metaphorically.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 09:53 pm
Catacomb Cult: Muslim sect brought to light after decade in dark
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:05 pm
Hi
1. 'Evil', like 'Good', is a concept, a label for events or criteria humans believe to be either detrimental or beneficial to what is fashioned by traditional morality/immorality constructs.
As for perception thereof, this alters from culture to culture and generation to generation. One man's heaven is indeed another man's hell.
CAUSALITY on this plane of conceptuality must abide within the parameters of and in accordance with established self-derivitive. Thus, every action MUST be obliged with an opposing, and equal, reaction.
As for the fella questioning whether 'God' (I will assume his reference is to the christian deity) is indeed evil. May I suggest you read the relative supporting documents thereof - It clearly states in Isaiah 45: 7 that God is the harbinger of said quality. You may prefer the NT statement - 'ALL acts are 'BY 'Him', For 'Him' and through 'Him'.'
Kinda screws up the ' free will' angle, but so what, not my belief anyway.

Mark...
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 11:22 pm
Having read a few more posts.

Mr rex, You have no idea of what reality consists of. You rely solely on what you are imprisoned by 'orchesrated, indoctrination by 'Elitist-controlled media'. You are a victim of naivity sir, of Orwellian design.
NOT an insult btw - an observation...
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 04:51 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

Having read a few more posts.

Mr rex, You have no idea of what reality consists of. You rely solely on what you are imprisoned by 'orchesrated, indoctrination by 'Elitist-controlled media'. You are a victim of naivity sir, of Orwellian design.
NOT an insult btw - an observation...

Mr mark, you spout biblical dogma then speak of my naivety? I do know how to spell naivety... Not an insult btw - an observation, sir...

I'll take my liberal slanted elitist controlled media (so you say) over your religeophobe mind control brainwashing any day... You call fighting for gay rights and sticking up for a robust middle class Orwellian and elitist? Fighting for science over religious stupidity is naivety?

I happen also to be ordained clergy... I just, unlike you, came to my senses when I realized the bible was full of lies...

So you are saying that evil in people is God made also, since, "all things are by his hand?" The bible also says "God is light and in him is no darkness at all"... Biblical bedtime stories meant to scare children and the weak minded into submission.

You can't have it both ways.. It seems you have swallowed this bible thing hook line and sinker. That would also make your world views vastly suspect to say the least, pathetic... again, just an observation...
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 08:32 am
Mark here is another link supplied by my "elitist-controlled media"...
http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_kristine_glimpses_of_modern_day_slavery.html

Where are the conservatives, the evade the IRS Romney's, the tax the poor senators and the praise the Lord Tea Party in all of this?

Getting their nails done courtesy of their big business buddies who are responsible for these horrendous atrocities...
0 Replies

wcpato

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:11 am
@Steve 41oo,
Quote:
you cant its impossible

terms like evil are entirely subjective

one man's evil is another man's holy work

If evil is subjective then the code of laws are a form of dictatorship. Why do we lock up murderers or pedophiles in jail?!

Is murder a form of evil? To everybody or just for the majority?

I think that there is an absolute moral standard and we as humans have that sense of morality written in our DNA...
mark noble

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 11:48 am
@RexRed,
I am using a text log, not a keyboard, but highlighting such travesty as a mispelling merely highlights your own self-reverence.
Couln't care less about your occupation either especially since you appear to openly discredit the foundation thereof because it conflicts with your interpretation.

The 'Mr' addition to your title was to provoke a response btw. One which arrived, as expected.

Because I studied the bible and the hypocrisies therein doesn't mean I am in agreement with any part thereof. I have also read my Indian cookbook, doesn't make me a Hindu? and I certainly do not require the presence of ANY deities or reverers thereof in my mindset ty.
Since when did darkness and light (both physical), other than metaphorically, share any relationship to concepts such as 'good and evil?
But wow! Did I hit nerve with you...lol

Sorry all, couln't resist this guy...
couln't? lol...
RexRed

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 03:12 pm
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

I am using a text log, not a keyboard, but highlighting such travesty as a mispelling merely highlights your own self-reverence.
Couln't care less about your occupation either especially since you appear to openly discredit the foundation thereof because it conflicts with your interpretation.

The 'Mr' addition to your title was to provoke a response btw. One which arrived, as expected.

Because I studied the bible and the hypocrisies therein doesn't mean I am in agreement with any part thereof. I have also read my Indian cookbook, doesn't make me a Hindu? and I certainly do not require the presence of ANY deities or reverers thereof in my mindset ty.
Since when did darkness and light (both physical), other than metaphorically, share any relationship to concepts such as 'good and evil?
But wow! Did I hit nerve with you...lol

Sorry all, couln't resist this guy...
couln't? lol...

Sorry all?...

It is nice to know some people are going about warning people to not converse with me... But yes, there are a few low life slime bags on this forum who creep in a2k's shadows thinking they are god's gift to intelligence and humanity.

In reality they are too afraid to lay out their own poorly conceived philosophies on the table.

You say Mark, there is no free will then you retract that statement... It seems your own will is conflicted...

True, many people make vastly erroneous interpretations of the bible but, as for "my interpretation" of the bible, well, to me the bible interprets itself. How so?

Some people interpret the bible outright and some study it... Most of the time the bible interprets itself right in the verse where it is written, in the context, the remote contest, where words have been used before and/or to whom it is addressed.

If people endeavors to allow the bible to interpret itself they will in most instances usually come to the exact same interpretation. It is this interpretation put forward by "itself" that quite often is far from what is scientifically known to be of a certainty.

For instance, sickness being caused by "devils spirits"??... Few will disagree that this is what Jesus taught but does this agree with medical science today? Certainly not!

Please don't blame this poorly conceived book, its apparent flaws and contractions on "my interpretation"...

It is okay to converse with me even though the goons on this forum have warned you against such... Perhaps you have something to teach and learn...

Sorry I called you out on your spelling... I did it to get you down off your high horse... My spelling is atrocious at times even when using a keyboard.

All the best, rex
0 Replies