RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:41 pm
How does science measure evil?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:21 pm
RexRed wrote:
Neo are you referring to the 1 year ministry thing with Jesus?

I warned everyone about 6 or 7 years ago on Abuzz... Smile

I may have also mentioned it here on A2K more than once.

I just did not see all of the parallels that this article brings literally to light.
No. It was about the six or seven years it took me to read your post. Smile
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:26 pm
RexRed wrote:
How does science measure evil?


It doesn't.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:30 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I submit there also exists an absolute.


Can you provide an example.
It would be hard to provide an example considering our current imperfect state. A few pages back, I posted a possible explanation as to why we are unable to correctly define evil. You may read it here.

The 2 second version is this: God is the final arbiter of what is good and what is evil. He instilled in Adam and Eve a conscience, an intuitive or instinctive moral compass. They chose to override it; so for the time being we are between the hard place and the rock.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:35 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I submit there also exists an absolute.


Can you provide an example.
It would be hard to provide an example considering our current imperfect state. A few pages back, I posted a possible explanation as to why we are unable to correctly define evil. You may read it here.


Those examples of "absolute" evil only exist within a framework of christian dogma. They are only absolute within that perspective. Was this what you meant when you said "absolute" before, because I think of "absolute" realities as being something generic to all human beliefs and realities, not something limited to a specific perspective.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:46 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I submit there also exists an absolute.


Can you provide an example.
It would be hard to provide an example considering our current imperfect state. A few pages back, I posted a possible explanation as to why we are unable to correctly define evil. You may read it here.


Those examples of "absolute" evil only exist within a framework of christian dogma. They are only absolute within that perspective. Was this what you meant when you said "absolute" before, because I think of "absolute" realities as being something generic to all human beliefs and realities, not something limited to a specific perspective.
You are quite right from your point of view. I think perhaps it is axiomatic that humans will view good and evil from a relative perspective.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 07:53 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:
I submit there also exists an absolute.


Can you provide an example.
It would be hard to provide an example considering our current imperfect state. A few pages back, I posted a possible explanation as to why we are unable to correctly define evil. You may read it here.


Those examples of "absolute" evil only exist within a framework of christian dogma. They are only absolute within that perspective. Was this what you meant when you said "absolute" before, because I think of "absolute" realities as being something generic to all human beliefs and realities, not something limited to a specific perspective.
You are quite right from your point of view. I think perhaps it is axiomatic that humans will view good and evil from a relative perspective.


Humans will view everything from a relative perspective. But there is also a common reality which is consistant from every perspective. That is where absolutes can be found.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:04 pm
Yeah!
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 01:01 am
rosborne979 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
How does science measure evil?


It doesn't.


Maybe that is because scientists are unknowingly the main perpetrators of "evil"...

If evil is idolatry wouldn't putting what is seen and observed in front of what is unseen be the very definition of science?

Science is by "nature" idolatry...
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
And, by your broad definition, such an endeavor as building a safe home would be considered idolatry, no?
0 Replies
 
fresco
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 08:52 am
RexRead,

Your attitude to "science" is typically antediluvian. Was the biblical David "evil" because he used science (the sling) to defeat Goliath ? Which is more likely to pose us most danger...nuclear bombs or carbon emissions from your vehicle ? Are you willing to give up your computer because it is a direct development of military research ?

These rhetorical questions show that "believers" attitudes to "science as idolatry" lie clearly in the realms of apocalyptic revelry. Whilst Christians play with their concept of an "omnipotent God" who nevertheless seems to have problems with his "naughty children", let them avoid the other children with their God, or the apocalypse may become a reality.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 10:55 am
RexRed wrote:
If evil is idolatry wouldn't putting what is seen and observed in front of what is unseen be the very definition of science?


Isn't putting what is unseen and unknown in front of what is seen and known the very definition of insanity?
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:27 am
neologist wrote:
And, by your broad definition, such an endeavor as building a safe home would be considered idolatry, no?


Not to the exclusion of everything else.

Mt 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things [science] shall be added unto you.

Comment:
The devil cannot "invent".
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:33 am
rosborne979 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
If evil is idolatry wouldn't putting what is seen and observed in front of what is unseen be the very definition of science?


Isn't putting what is unseen and unknown in front of what is seen and known the very definition of insanity?


One must have a true spiritual perspective before the physical perspective comes into focus...
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:36 am
fresco wrote:
RexRead,

Your attitude to "science" is typically antediluvian. Was the biblical David "evil" because he used science (the sling) to defeat Goliath ? Which is more likely to pose us most danger...nuclear bombs or carbon emissions from your vehicle ? Are you willing to give up your computer because it is a direct development of military research ?

These rhetorical questions show that "believers" attitudes to "science as idolatry" lie clearly in the realms of apocalyptic revelry. Whilst Christians play with their concept of an "omnipotent God" who nevertheless seems to have problems with his "naughty children", let them avoid the other children with their God, or the apocalypse may become a reality.


Good point but unfortunately your logic it is missing one vital factor... the true God.
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:39 am
Physical observation relies solely upon the nature of this world. The spiritual nature (liberty) is enmity against the physical nature (law).
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:44 am
Law creates a monotone or drone, liberty creates pitch, harmony and something alive and living...
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:44 am
RexRed wrote:
. . . Comment:
The devil cannot "invent".
Where do you get these sweeping propositions?

Who invented rebellion?
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:46 am
neologist wrote:
RexRed wrote:
. . . Comment:
The devil cannot "invent".
Where do you get these sweeping propositions?

Who invented rebellion?


Rebellion is simply a counterfeit of obedience...

The devil can reverse logic but he cannot create logic.
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:58 am
Like I said: What hat are you pulling these revelations from?
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

700 Inconsistencies in the Bible - Discussion by onevoice
Why do we deliberately fool ourselves? - Discussion by coincidence
Spirituality - Question by Miller
Oneness vs. Trinity - Discussion by Arella Mae
give you chills - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence for Evolution! - Discussion by Bartikus
Evidence of God! - Discussion by Bartikus
One World Order?! - Discussion by Bartikus
God loves us all....!? - Discussion by Bartikus
The Preambles to Our States - Discussion by Charli
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Define "Evil"...
  3. » Page 3
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/18/2019 at 11:52:24