Newsweek Cover - sweet & soft for the USA

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:43 pm
Quote:
Newsweek sugars pill for US

Dan Glaister in Los Angeles
Thursday September 28, 2006
The Guardian

For some, the world is a tough place, where armed insurgents threaten at every turn. For others, is simply divine, a cuddly, celebrity-strewn nirvana where success is just a camera click away.
This week, Newsweek magazine - motto "Our voices. Your voices. Every day" - illustrates that division by offering readers in different parts of the world different cover stories. The international edition of the magazine, on sale in Europe, Asia and Latin America, features a fearsome-looking man wearing a turban and pointing a grenade launcher towards the reader. "Losing Afghanistan" screams the hard-hitting headline.

http://i10.tinypic.com/4bxzehf.jpg

Instead of a man with a gun, US readers are offered a woman with a camera surrounded by children and celebrities. "My life in pictures," purrs the softly spoken headline over a picture of celebrity snapper Annie Leibovitz. While Leibovitz cradles her children, a pregnant Demi Moore and a smiling Nelson Mandela look on.
Newsweek's international editor, Fareed Zakaria, said that in the US, Newsweek was a mass market magazine with a broad reach, while overseas it "is a somewhat more upmarket magazine for internationally minded people".
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 949 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 11:45 pm
Newsweek operates on a "need to know" basis, right?

http://i9.tinypic.com/346p0r7.jpg
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:53 am
I would say it's more of a "Let's hope everyone thinks about something else for a while" basis, Walter.

At least until any elections are out of the way, eh?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:08 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Did they include the article at least?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:14 am
Re: Newsweek Cover - sweet & soft for the USA
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Newsweek's international editor, Fareed Zakaria, said that in the US, Newsweek was a mass market magazine with a broad reach, while overseas it "is a somewhat more upmarket magazine for internationally minded people".

... and we all know how much down-market journalists like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter hate to talk about terrorism.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
Thomas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

what a bunch of idiots I live with....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:15 am
Thomas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

what a bunch of idiots I live with....they do make it easy to work the system though....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 09:37 am
Wow. Weird.

The current issue doesn't have an article called "Losing Afghanistan" but it does have one called "THe Rise of Jihadistan" subheaded "Five years after the Afghan invasion, the Taliban are fighting back hard, carving out a sanctuary where they - and Al Qaeda's leaders - can operate freely".

There is a sidebar called "What went wrong".

It could be the same article but I don't know.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:30 am
I think for American audiences the "cover story" was moved inside, complete with the cover picture.

Perhaps Newsweek's editors were worried about being accused of playing politics so close to the November elections.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:48 am
Noddy24 wrote:

Perhaps Newsweek's editors were worried about being accused of playing politics so close to the November elections.

Well, it's a "weekly newsmagazine", and I really would wonder if here similar magazines suddenly would stop doing their normal business eight weeks before some elections.
Quite the opposite happens.

And the "official excuse" by Newsweek points more in another direction, I think.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:38 pm
Realisticly, The Economist is more, well, realistic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 12:43 pm
Apparently, bad news doesn't sell.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:00 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Why would accusations worry them? And why is it "playing politics" to say America is failing in its military expedition, when it isn't "playing politics" to say you are winning?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:24 pm
Re: Newsweek Cover - sweet & soft for the USA
Thomas wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

... and we all know how much down-market journalists like Rush Limbaugh and Anne Coulter hate to talk about terrorism.

Nice catch, thomas.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:27 pm
Thomas wrote:
And why is it "playing politics" to say America is failing in its military expedition, when it isn't "playing politics" to say you are winning?

This is a point which cannot be stressed too often: Thanks to the bold and resolute leadership of our Ki . . . er, Presient, George Bush, victory is just around the corner in Iraq.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thomas wrote:
And why is it "playing politics" to say America is failing in its military expedition, when it isn't "playing politics" to say you are winning?

This is a point which cannot be stressed too often: Thanks to the bold and resolute leadership of our Ki . . . er, Presient, George Bush, victory is just around the corner in Iraq.

I'm sure that Beloved Leader is correct -- victory in Iraq is just around the corner. You'll notice, however, that he hasn't said how many blocks (or miles) down the street that corner is located.
0 Replies