On sale: 21 paintings "attributed to Adolf Hitler"

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:58 pm
Art attributed to Adolf Hitler goes on sale in Britain tomorrow, but would the Führer really paint like this? That is deeply sceptical, says this Guardian report

Quote:
Fascist or forgery?

Art attributed to Adolf Hitler goes on sale in Britain tomorrow, but would the Führer really paint like this? Jonathan Jones is deeply sceptical

Monday September 25, 2006
The Guardian

When 21 paintings "attributed to Adolf Hitler" are auctioned in Lostwithiel in Cornwall tomorrow, TV crews from all over the world will be there, interviewing bluff auctioneer Ian Morris and filming the atmospheric premises of his company, Jefferys, reached through an ancient-looking stone archway and crowded with musty furniture and stuffed birds.
What a shame this peach of an art news story is based on nothing more than a forger's clumsy attempt to copy the dreary style of one of the world's worst artists. Even if the paintings to be sold tomorrow were authentic Hitlers, the media's interest would be an example of our unthinking intoxication with fame and infamy. The auctioneers are covering themselves by saying the works are only "attributed", but to my eye, these are crude and obvious forgeries; it would be amazing if they were anything else. People have been faking Hitler's paintings since he became chancellor of Germany in 1933.

In fact, there is a link between the paintings on sale tomorrow - apparently done by the young Hitler to earn a little money when he was unemployed before 1914 - and one of the most notorious frauds of modern times.
In 1983, the historian Hugh Trevor-Roper found himself in a bank vault in Germany inspecting a set of notebooks claimed to be the diaries of Adolf Hitler. What convinced him of their authenticity, he said, was the accompanying documents supposedly rescued along with Hitler's diaries from a plane crash in 1945. The diaries were quickly exposed as a con; what is less well-known is that forged paintings were crucial to that con. Trevor-Roper admitted he was especially swayed by the signature on the paintings - "above all, signed paintings and drawings by Hitler". Like the diaries, that too was the work of the forger Konrad Kujau.

Despite Kujau's confession, some of these pictures have stayed in the mainstream of historical documents. In a book published as recently as 2004 about cultural politics in Nazi Germany, the author gets very excited about the significance of light in Nazi mythology, and illustrates his argument with a drawing by Hitler of a fist holding a blazing torch. But this is one of hundreds, if not thousands, of "Hitler" art works forged by Kujau. This image is credited to a man who provides a link with the sale in Cornwall.

The story goes that the 21 paintings and drawings signed A Hitler and AH were deposited in a sealed box in Belgium in 1919. The box was rediscovered in the 1980s and examined by "experts" - all now dead. The most distinguished-sounding of these is the Munich authority Dr August Priesack.

Priesack was a Nazi who in the 1930s worked for the central archive of the party, authenticating paintings attributed to the Führer, and then flooding the market. After the war he put himself about as a Hitler expert. In the early 1980s, he was called in by a collector of Hitler paintings. According to Robert Harris's book Selling Hitler, the man who had really painted them, Kujau, was there; he laughed inwardly, he said, when Priesack looked at one of his works and fondly recalled seeing it back in the days of the Reich.

Knowingly or unknowingly, Priesack became one of the most enthusiastic champions of Kujau's forgeries as authentic Hitlers. He collaborated with the American collector Billy F Price to compile the only attempt at a catalogue of Hitler's paintings, published in 1983. (The cultural historian Frederic Spotts estimates that two-thirds of its contents are forgeries.) Priesack is the "document expert" who contributes to authenticating the paintings on sale in Cornwall. His very presence is an alarm bell.

So much for the documents - but even if they were more substantial, I would not believe them. These worthless, execrable, boring, ugly daubs may seem bad enough to be by Hitler - but they contain many elements of modernist style.

Even the dullest painter today can't help occasionally painting blue on a tree, or rendering a field as a pink blur. Impressionism and expressionism are in the way we see - and in the way the painter of these fakes sees. They are bad, but bad in the way only someone who has absorbed Monet and Van Gogh can be bad. A flare of Fauve colour, a tangle of unruly paint, houses that resemble Van Gogh's and reflections that echo Monet's - no way did Adolf Hitler paint these. What most strikes you in genuine surviving examples by Hitler is the young man's obsessive longing to perfectly reproduce what he believes correct. You can't learn much about Hitler's personality from his art, because his art has no personality.

When he came to power he waged war on modernism, banning art critics and impounding "degenerate" art. Among the modern movements he condemned as part of the Jewish conspiracy in a speech in Munich in 1937, he lists impressionism. What seems a gentle style to us was hideous to him.

In that speech, Hitler raged that modern artists "see meadows blue, skies green, clouds sulphur yellow, and so on ..." The painter of the works in Cornwall can't help seeing things a little that way, as any artist does now. Bad as they are, there's a freedom alien to Hitler's pedantic efforts.

To accept the paintings being sold tomorrow as genuine would mean changing Hitler's biography. You would have to conclude that when he attacked modern art he was speaking as someone who had tried it out. You would have to believe that, as a soldier in the first world war, he encountered and admired Monet and Van Gogh.

Tomorrow, collectors of Hitler's art will fly in, I'm told, from Cape Town, Estonia and Moscow in pursuit of works of art with the signature they crave. Does it matter that they're competing to get their hands on forgeries? You could argue that these sick fools are getting what they deserve. Of course they are, but what worries me is our collaboration in their fantasies.

Newspapers including this one have publicised the sale, reproducing these supposed Hitler paintings with little scepticism. In doing this, we help perpetuate a pathetic and horrible market in mementos of the Third Reich which falsifies the history of the 20th century.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 972 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:58 pm
http://i9.tinypic.com/2zxnh1u.jpg

One of the paintings on sale tomorrow (from The Guardian, 25.09.2006, page 44)
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:01 am
You know, I have always wondered how BAD his pictures were, since he could not get into art school.
At some point I saw some pictures, and was quite surprised.
Definitely better than I could do it!
They looked something like the one above.

And I don't see, why he should not have painted like this.
I am sure much of his later radicalism where part of his bitterness of being rejected! Some men cannot take it, when their ego gets hurt.
Luckily not all of them get into a position to be as destructive as Hitler was.
Can you imagine what the world would be like otherwise?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:10 am
Bohne wrote:
Luckily not all of them get into a position to be as destructive as Hitler was.
Can you imagine what the world would be like otherwise?

Probably it wouldn't be...
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:18 am
And thank god for play stations where frustrated men (and women) can get rid of their aggressions...

Very Happy
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:29 am
Not having a play station, what can I deduce from there?

The good: I'm not frustrated.
The bad: I'm frustrated.

How aporetic!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:19 am
Well, the article goes into why it is very unlikely Hitler would have painted that...
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:50 pm
I have won prizes for drawing and painting as a kid. From his painting Hitler, or Schlitzberger (whatever his real name was) I notice he lacks nuance, fine detailing and accuracy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:54 pm
So, that is a type of painting. It doesn't happen to coincide with the painting in conjecture.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:57 pm
The auctioner said he hoped one or two of the paintings will (today) sell for more than 5,000 pounds although he admitted the standard of the work was not high.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 02:17 pm
The more than 20 watercolors and sketches attributed to Adolf Hitler were sold Tuesday for more than $200,000 at the auction.
The artworks, most of them landscapes, sold individually at prices from $6,800 to more than $22,000.
Organizers say a Russian businessman paid the top price for a watercolor on paper entitled "The Church of Preux-au-Bois".
An auction spokesman said the total more than doubled the pre-sale estimate.

WaPo report

Well, there's vibrant market for Nazi memorabilia Confused
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 12:45 pm
The painting displayed shows that Adolph had more artistic talent than political. I guess he really was politically successful for a while, but then his psychosis got the better of him. He should have stayed with painting though the Impressionistic style was a bit reactionary for his time. But then so were his politics.

I always though that Hitler's subjects were cold architectural paintings devoid of natural subjects. Did Adolph have a sensitive side? Was he a successful Rodion Raskolnikov?
0 Replies