Fiction based in first half of 19th Century

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:02 pm
I am looking for fiction where the plot takes place in America from 1800 to 1850. I would prefer that it is somewhat "historically accurate." Would any of the John Jakes novels fit this description?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 7
No top replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 03:20 pm
I thought Jakes wrote about the Revolution.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
He certainly had the background to get his facts straight.

http://www.johnjakes.com/savannah_rgg.htm
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:06 pm
What about "Burr" by Gore Vidal?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:44 pm
The state of Michigan demanded its prospective English teachers all take a course usually titled, "American Literature: 1830-65." THis could be taken at any level from sophomore survey to graduate seminar. The courses cover Moby Dick, Little Women, the Transcendentalists, Uncle Tom's Cabin, Edgar Allen Poe, etc. Why not read the originals?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 13 Nov, 2006 03:45 pm
BTW -- Gore Vidal actually wrote about some of his own ancestors in his historical fiction. A late friend of mine was distantly related to Vidal.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:20 pm
Fiction based on first half of Nineteenth Century
Gore Vidal is an excellent author, and may be what I am looking for. As to reading original Nineteenth Century authors, all too often the language of the novel is quite stilted & formal and is not the way anyone really spoke. By the way, is Gore Vidal distantly related to Stephan Girard?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 10:16 pm
What makes you think people didn't speak in the way the 19th C novelists wrote? How many novelists do you know? They all talk exactly the way they write, which is why I often say that far too many novelists have only one book in them which they rewrite over and over.

I always thought that 19th C novels were easy reading which is why children -- when I was a child -- were given them to read.

Why not just read history books?
0 Replies