Damn you Walmart!!!

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
No, that would be a decidedly unfair restatement. I did not offer any specific non-monetary advantages of employment outside of sweatshops because I just don't know what those advantages might be. In general, such advantages would be specific to each individual, so they would be complex, numerous, and varied. For instance, the guy who was known as the champion garbage picker might value his reputation more than the extra money he could receive if he abandoned his garbage dump home and went to work for Nike. The Bangladeshi loan slave might prefer to remain in a system that actually permits his family to get loans (albeit on exorbitant and ultimately feudal terms) rather than venture into a free market system that, while it pays more in wages, does not offer him credit on any terms. And a disposable concubine might prefer relative predictability and security to the uncertainty and risks of the marketplace (not an uncommon feeling among people living in former Communist countries).

Fair enough. Now, when you observe these people leave their old jobs to sew sneakers for Nike or weave t-shirts for WalMart, does this support or contradict the hypothesis that those sweatshops gave them better opportunities than they had before? Does it support or contradict the hypothesis that those new opportunities are good rather than bad for them?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:42 pm
Thomas wrote:
echi, attempting to sum up Krugman's article, wrote:
'Free the slaves? Why, that would be downright irresponsible. They're too ignorant to take care of themselves. Without their Massa they would never survive.'

Please show me where Krugman argues that. I must have missed the passage.

Whether he realizes it, or not, this is the only argument he can "reasonably" make. I say this based on statements like,

"While fat-cat capitalists might benefit from globalization, the biggest beneficiaries are, yes, Third World workers." :wink:

and...

"You may say that the wretched of the earth should not be forced to serve as hewers of wood, drawers of water, and sewers of sneakers for the affluent. But what is the alternative?"

The alternative would be to NOT impose an international, centralized, economic ideology (corporate-globalization) on developing countries that are defenseless against it. Instead, the focus should be on supporting democratic movements within these countries, which would allow them to maintain (or attain) national sovereignty... true independence.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 03:56 pm
Thomas wrote:
Did you notice that I pointed to an article by Paul Krugman, who is a well-known liberal economist? When he writes In Praise of Cheap Labor his partisan preferences contradict his economic competence. To his credit, his economic competence won.

I haven't read the Krugman piece, so I'll take your word for it. But just because Krugman is on the left doesn't make him right.

Thomas wrote:
Concerning your comment on "human nature", I don't see how it applies here. As it happens, I'm a pessimist on human nature as well. All I'm saying is that some bad-natured humans are in a better position than others to make good decisions for third world workers. And that those aren't the members of the US congress, whom they have no vote on, and who doesn't have any direct stake in those people's welfare. Who, in your opinion, is better-suited than third-world workers to make decisions for third-world workers?

Well, there's me, for instance.

Seriously, I think it's rather odd to maintain that individuals are always best suited to make decisions on their own behalf. As a lawyer, I am familiar with the "reasonable person" standard of responsibility in American courts. That standard is designed to determine what a hypothetically reasonable person would do in a particular situation, not what any actual person would do. The legal standard for one's behavior, then, is not a subjective one, even in cases where persons are acting in their own best interests. And that's because we can't depend upon people making the right choices even in their own behalf.

There are many reasons why people act akratically (i.e. in ways that are inimical to their own interests). One of those reasons is that they often don't have very good information. In a "prisoner's dilemma," the participants can be expected to make sub-optimal decisions precisely because they are acting in their own best interests under conditions of limited information. In many real life situations that resemble a prisoner's dilemma, it is the state that intervenes to redress the imbalance in information and makes the conditions of bargaining more equitable.

For instance, suppose an employer needs to hire a worker. He'd prefer to hire the job applicant to work for the most hours at the lowest wages, whereas the applicant would prefer to work for the fewest hours at the highest wage. The employer tells the applicant that, if he refuses to work 14 hours a day at $1 an hour, the employer will hire someone else who will. The applicant, unable to discern what some other applicant would decide if given the same offer, accepts, even though he would undoubtedly get a better deal if he cooperated with other job applicants in demanding fewer hours and higher wages. In a situation like this, the state ultimately steps in to redress the imbalance in information, either by mandating minimum wage and hour laws, or by protecting unions, or both.

Now, does that mean that the state would make a better decision on those workers' behalf than those workers could themselves. I think the answer is "yes." Considering that the state can transcend the prisoner's dilemma through legislating information sharing, it is not trapped like the individual workers into making unavoidably bad decisions. Admittedly, by taking away the option of making what are regarded as objectively bad decisions, the state is limiting the workers' choices to those that are regarded as objectively "reasonable," but that's a limitation on their freedom that many workers would consider to be a fair trade-off for other goods (both economic and non-economic) that they value more highly.

That does not mean that the state always makes better decisions than individuals, or that it is only the state that can transcend the prisoner's dilemma (or other games where players can be expected to make sub-optimal choices). I merely observe that individuals cannot be counted on to make the best decisions just because they are making those decisions in their own best interests.

Thomas wrote:
Fair enough. Now, when you observe these people leave their old jobs to sew sneakers for Nike or weave t-shirts for WalMart, does this support or contradict the hypothesis that those sweatshops gave them better opportunities than they had before? Does it support or contradict the hypothesis that those new opportunities are good rather than bad for them?

Without knowing more about these people, I cannot confidently say that they are receiving either better or worse opportunties. At most, I can say that they are receiving different opportunities.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 04:19 pm
Phoenix wrote:........... but I think that your life experiences have colored your perception of the situation.
It does not take suffering to feel sorry for the exploited and loathing for the meanies. On the other hand, to be untouched by human misery and driven by profit is normal for some people.
Fair enough. I am glad that I have empathy for the less fortunate. That might be the reason I admire so much the 'Doctors without Borders'.
I am certain that there are people laughing their heads off about these fools who forego profit to help others.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 03:43 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Seriously, I think it's rather odd to maintain that individuals are always best suited to make decisions on their own behalf.

Nobody maintains that, certainly not with the "always" in it. The claim is that a rule, individuals make better decisions for themselves than for other people.

joefromchicago wrote:
As a lawyer, I am familiar with the "reasonable person" standard of responsibility in American courts. That standard is designed to determine what a hypothetically reasonable person would do in a particular situation, not what any actual person would do.

On the other hand, people who act reasonably are dramatically less likely to end up in court than people who don't. Therefore I respectfully submit that your perspective as a lawyer comes with a heavy selection bias against reasonable people.

joefromchicago wrote:
In many real life situations that resemble a prisoner's dilemma, it is the state that intervenes to redress the imbalance in information and makes the conditions of bargaining more equitable.

I agree. The big-number version of this is called an "externalty". (Air pollution would be a good example of a negative externalty, basic research would be one of a positive externalty.) Standard, neoclassical economics has systematically examined externalties, and hasn't found any in international trade.

joefromchicago wrote:
For instance, suppose an employer needs to hire a worker. He'd prefer to hire the job applicant to work for the most hours at the lowest wages, whereas the applicant would prefer to work for the fewest hours at the highest wage. The employer tells the applicant that, if he refuses to work 14 hours a day at $1 an hour, the employer will hire someone else who will. The applicant, unable to discern what some other applicant would decide if given the same offer, accepts, even though he would undoubtedly get a better deal if he cooperated with other job applicants in demanding fewer hours and higher wages. In a situation like this, the state ultimately steps in to redress the imbalance in information, either by mandating minimum wage and hour laws, or by protecting unions, or both.

Alternatively, the job applicant applies for other jobs and sees what other employers offer him. In the example you give, the applicant would almost certainly get a more attractive offer elsewhere. I don't see what would make the real job market a good example of a prisoner's dilemma.

joefromchicago wrote:
Now, does that mean that the state would make a better decision on those workers' behalf than those workers could themselves. I think the answer is "yes."

I agree it could, but I think the more important question is how likely it will. And in answering that question, I notice that bringing the state in creates even greater extertnalties (or in your language, prisoners' dilemmas) than it removes. Consider voting, for example: If every American makes careful, informed choices about whom to vote for, every American gets a good government. But what if you make careful, informed choices about buying your next car, and everybody else makes careful, informed choices about whom to vote for? Answer: you get a good car, and every American including yourself still gets a good government. (This is true unless your individual vote would have swung the election -- but in practice it never does.) That's a prisoners' dilemma with 200 million players: All other Americans make the same calculation (perhaps not explicitly); all but the idealistic ones research their car options instead of becoming informed citizens. As a result, they act on cheaply produced, easily digested information such as the O'Reilly Factor. Then they act on this sorry excuse for information, and accordingly end up with a president Bush. They don't end up with the Platonic philosopher king you are assuming government to act like. And that's not cosmic bad luck; it's the way democracy works.

So my answer to you is, yes, markets sometimes fail and people sometimes make bad decisions. But people in government are just as fallible as people in the private sector. And everything that makes markets fail -- monopoly power, externalties, imperfect information, arms races -- usually exists to a much higher degree in government than in the marketplace, broadly defined. There are exceptions where market failure is even worse than government failure, national defense being the most obvious example. But they're exceptions, not the rule. As a rule, free markets are the lesser evil most of the time, even when they work imperfectly.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:05 am
Quote:
I am certain that there are people laughing their heads off about these fools who forego profit to help others.

detano inipo-I am not laughing. I have a lot of respect for people who give of their time and money to help the less fortunate. Over the years I have volunteered in many, what I considered, worthy causes.

What I object to is the concept that people, (and corporations) are OBLIGED to help the less fortunate.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:03 am
Thomas wrote:
Nobody maintains that, certainly not with the "always" in it. The claim is that a rule, individuals make better decisions for themselves than for other people.

For the reasons that I stated before, I don't even think this modified standard is defensible.

Thomas wrote:
On the other hand, people who act reasonably are dramatically less likely to end up in court than people who don't. Therefore I respectfully submit that your perspective as a lawyer comes with a heavy selection bias against reasonable people.

That may be so, but it doesn't alter the fact that the law establishes an objective standard for a person's actions, even when those actions are taken in the person's own best interests.

Thomas wrote:
I agree. The big-number version of this is called an "externalty". (Air pollution would be a good example of a negative externalty, basic research would be one of a positive externalty.) Standard, neoclassical economics has systematically examined externalties, and hasn't found any in international trade.

But we aren't talking about international trade.

Thomas wrote:
Alternatively, the job applicant applies for other jobs and sees what other employers offer him.

Where is he going to apply? At the top of the garbage dump?

Thomas wrote:
In the example you give, the applicant would almost certainly get a more attractive offer elsewhere. I don't see what would make the real job market a good example of a prisoner's dilemma.

The job applicant is in the exact same situation as the prisoner, and the application game has the same payoff structure as the prisoner's dilemma game. If you want me to explain it in greater detail, I'd be happy to draw you a diagram.

Thomas wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Now, does that mean that the state would make a better decision on those workers' behalf than those workers could themselves. I think the answer is "yes."

I agree it could, but I think the more important question is how likely it will. And in answering that question, I notice that bringing the state in creates even greater extertnalties (or in your language, prisoners' dilemmas) than it removes. Consider voting, for example: If every American makes careful, informed choices about whom to vote for, every American gets a good government. But what if you make careful, informed choices about buying your next car, and everybody else makes careful, informed choices about whom to vote for? Answer: you get a good car, and every American including yourself still gets a good government. (This is true unless your individual vote would have swung the election -- but in practice it never does.) That's a prisoners' dilemma with 200 million players: All other Americans make the same calculation (perhaps not explicitly); all but the idealistic ones research their car options instead of becoming informed citizens. As a result, they act on cheaply produced, easily digested information such as the O'Reilly Factor. Then they act on this sorry excuse for information, and accordingly end up with a president Bush. They don't end up with the Platonic philosopher king you are assuming government to act like. And that's not cosmic bad luck; it's the way democracy works.

I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make here. It looks like you're describing a free rider problem, not a prisoner's dilemma.

Thomas wrote:
So my answer to you is, yes, markets sometimes fail and people sometimes make bad decisions. But people in government are just as fallible as people in the private sector. And everything that makes markets fail -- monopoly power, externalties, imperfect information, arms races -- usually exists to a much higher degree in government than in the marketplace, broadly defined. There are exceptions where market failure is even worse than government failure, national defense being the most obvious example. But they're exceptions, not the rule. As a rule, free markets are the lesser evil most of the time, even when they work imperfectly.

We are becoming so far removed from the basic theme of this thread that I think we have come to the point at which I say: I disagree, and would be happy to expand upon that disagreement in another thread.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:21 am
joefromchicago wrote:
But we aren't talking about international trade.

Yes we are. We were talking about the kind of Third World sweatshops WalMart buys from. As you may remember, I consider them a good thing, and JPB had asked me why. Whether I'm right or wrong on the merits, WalMart's practice of buying from Third World sweatshops is most certainly an issue of international trade.

joefromchicago wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the point you're trying to make here. It looks like you're describing a free rider problem, not a prisoner's dilemma.

They're the same problem except for the number of people involved: The prisoner who talks free-rides on the prisoner who keeps his mouth shot.

joefromchicago wrote:
We are becoming so far removed from the basic theme of this thread that I think we have come to the point at which I say: I disagree, and would be happy to expand upon that disagreement in another thread.

Fine with me.
0 Replies