Damn you Walmart!!!

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 08:22 pm
I'm not defending Walmart and I don't think mom and pop are evil. I'm simply speaking from experience.

I have been ripped off by mom and pop. I have changed my tune to trying to buy local goods and products. In my "local" that means Nike and Intel too, plus Adidas and Columbia and a lot of other big brands.

I was the "mom" of a mom and pop shop of a national franchise and I know that people didn't understand that our store was "mom and pop". I invested everything I owned and didn't own into it. I busted my ass to hire and keep good people, I paid them well and gave them good benefits. When we stopped being profitable enough to do such things I had to close the doors. I'm not a charity. I can't work for free just to make sure that other people are happy. Sorry.

People thought our store was some big corporate giant - not me and my husband, not mom and pop. We had to roll with their punches as well as ours.

And, yes, it hurt. And now I work only for me.

Go ahead and hate Walmart. I really don't care. I don't even know where one is. I just think your generalizations and lack of understanding of how business works is well..... dumb.

It is easy to sit on a high horse when you haven't risked anything.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:05 pm
All members of a society have a responsibility to that society. If these the fabric of a society will break down if resposibilities are not discharged.

Corporations, I believe, are active participants in our society, indeed they can be very powerfull members. As such members, I believe corporations have a CSR (corporate social responsibility) that extends beyond the single bottom line of profits for and interests of shareholders and owners.

However let us not lose sight of the fact that consumers drive pricing policy. There is very few among us who would not jump at a product that is priced lower than competitors. The fact that it (the product) is produced in an unsustainable manner - (eg brazillian rainforest) or by small children working 12 hours a day chained to a workbench in vietnam - is not uppermost in most consumers minds when they spot a bargain.

Thomas believes sweat shop labour to be a good thing and it can be, as even a small cash injection into some families can mean the difference between a meal and starvation. The problem with this is that the saving on wages supports the unconciable distrubution of wealth to middle men and executives. The saving made from sweat shop labour is wealth generation (in the form of cost saving) for the end consumer as well.

If you were to really focus you would find that you dont really need the products sold by Walmart, Nike, maccas and all the others.

Vote with your feet, dont shop at stores without a publicy available triple bottom line policy that reflects your expectaions and aspirations for your society.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 12:36 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
However, WalMart had - ruling of the North Rhine Westphalian State Labour Court accepted by them - violated the Basic Law.
And they lost a couple (dozens) labour law trials at lower labour courts.

Sure -- but Rewe, Lidl, and Aldi have also lost lawsuits against their employees from time to time. They're not leaving, and Wal-Mart's trials are not the reason Wal-Mart is leaving -- which is what detano suggested.

JPB wrote:
Ok, I'll bite... why are sweatshops a good thing? And, how do you define do-gooders?

For the people who work there, sweat shops in the third world are a huge improvement over the rural poverty they replaced -- a poverty that was less visible to us, but frequently lethal. If trade sanctions were to force sweatshops to close down, they would push people back into this rural poverty. For a 1500 word version of the argument, I recommend Paul Krugman's 1997 article In Defense of Cheap Labor.

I'm happy with Webster's definition of do-gooder: "an earnest often naive humanitarian or reformer". I probably would have emphasized the 'often naive' part more strongly.

detano inipo wrote:
Comparing a giant multinational to black people is an apple to orange idea.

It would be apples to oranges if that was what I'm comparing, but it's not. My point is that when someone gets sued often, that could prove he/she/it is bad, or that the one who sues is a zealot. That means I'm comparing people who sue, and people who draw inferences from the fact that someone was sued. And that's both apples-to-apples.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 07:54 am
This is moving a bit off topic. Beginning with the Reagan years, there seems to be a war on the poor in the US (not poverty).
A long time ago, I was poor enough that I had to steal food to keep from starving to death. When that period came to an end, I was afraid of my kleptomania. Surprise, with some money in my pocket I could not steal anymore.
Compare that to a billion dollar empire that cheats to make more billions.
The man who steals some apples to take home to his starving kids will be locked up within a short time.
The man who steals millions will not be in jail for years to come, even after he is accused of a crime.
I love hearing from people full of compassion, talking about semi-slaves working sewing machines in some god-awful sweatshop.
quotes:
From 1984 to 1994, California built 21 prisons, and only one state university...the prison system realized a 209% increase in funding, compared to a 15% increase in state university funding.
" Steal $5, you're a thief; steal $5 million, you're a financier."
* There are nearly four million persons currently or permanently disenfranchised as a result of laws that take away the voting rights of felons and ex-felons.
* No other democracy besides the US. disenfranchises convicted offenders for life. Many democratic nations, including Denmark, France, Israel and Poland, permit prisoners to vote as well.
* Nearly three-quarters (73 percent) of the disenfranchised are not in prison but are on probation, on parole or have completed their sentences.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
Quote:
A long time ago, I was poor enough that I had to steal food to keep from starving to death. When that period came to an end, I was afraid of my kleptomania. Surprise, with some money in my pocket I could not steal anymore.

detano inipo- Kleptomania is a mental illness. People who have it often don't need the things that they steal (Remember Wynona Ryder?) Stealing to survive is not a mental illness. It may very well be a necessity. That is why you stopped stealing when you had money in your pocket.

http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/kleptomania.htm
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 08:15 am
Thank you, Phoenix. Good explanation.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:22 am
Thomas wrote:
JPB wrote:
Ok, I'll bite... why are sweatshops a good thing? And, how do you define do-gooders?

For the people who work there, sweat shops in the third world are a huge improvement over the rural poverty they replaced -- a poverty that was less visible to us, but frequently lethal.

Only if you view "good" in terms of economic well-being. There are, however, other "goods" that cannot be measured in monetary terms.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 09:44 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Only if you view "good" in terms of economic well-being. There are, however, other "goods" that cannot be measured in monetary terms.

You mistake economics for accounting. (Not for the first time, I might add.) Contrary to what you imply, I am not measuring economic well-being in monetary terms alone -- and neither would any real economist. Instead, I am measuring them by the preferences third-world workers reveal when they give up their old job for their new one. In determining these preferences, people do consider any non-tangible costs and benefits there might be to switching.

But I'm curious: In your opinion, what non-monetary benefits are there to living on a garbage-dump in the Philippines, or as a loan-slave on the Bangladeshi countryside, or as a disposable concubine of some wealthy Indian land-owner? And how do these non-monetary benefits make up for the better pay in American sweatshops?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:33 am
Thomas wrote:
You mistake economics for accounting. (Not for the first time, I might add.) Contrary to what you imply, I am not measuring economic well-being in monetary terms alone -- and neither would any real economist. Instead, I am measuring them by the preferences third-world workers reveal when they give up their old job for their new one. In determining these preferences, people do consider any non-tangible costs and benefits there might be to switching.

Well, maybe. But then again maybe not. In general, we can expect people to sacrifice a lower-order good for a higher-order one. When a person, however, has to choose a low-wage job in order to survive, one is entitled to question whether, in that kind of situation, applying the basic economic calculus makes any sense. After all, we usually don't say that a person may "choose" starvation as a valid option. For individuals in that predicament, it's less a choice than a compulsion, so to say that they make an economic choice is somewhat deceptive. As the Athenians told the Melians a couple of millenia ago, the strong do what they will, and the weak do what they must.

Furthermore, even if third-world workers are genuinely choosing low-wage "sweatshop" jobs, rather than being compelled by circumstances to take any job that pays a wage, we may legitimately question whether they are better off for their choice. Just because they make a choice, that doesn't mean that they make the right choice.

Thomas wrote:
But I'm curious: In your opinion, what non-monetary benefits are there to living on a garbage-dump in the Philippines, or as a loan-slave on the Bangladeshi countryside, or as a disposable concubine of some wealthy Indian land-owner? And how do these non-monetary benefits make up for the better pay in American sweatshops?

Having never been a loan slave or a disposable concubine or lived in a society where such options exist, I haven't the faintest idea. As to my living conditions, I will only say that they are somewhat more elevated than a "garbage dump" -- although my mother might disagree.

I will add, however, that, for some people, living on a garbage dump is probably preferable to living in a gutter, and being a loan slave or a disposable concubine is probably better than whatever alternative is offered to those people. Whether the alternatives are worse because they are less economically rewarding is something that I do not know, but I do know that people place a value on non-monetary goods that often lead them to make decisions that economists would regard as incomprehensible.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 10:46 am
Once I was discussing land mines and the misery they cause for the local population. Someone explained to me that old-fashioned mines used to take off a whole leg. The new and humane mines only rip off the foot.
According to that reasoning, some modern land mines are humane and should be admired.
An evil is immoral. Comparing it to a bigger evil does not make it moral.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:06 am
boomerang wrote:
I'm not defending Walmart and I don't think mom and pop are evil. I'm simply speaking from experience.

I have been ripped off by mom and pop. I have changed my tune to trying to buy local goods and products. In my "local" that means Nike and Intel too, plus Adidas and Columbia and a lot of other big brands.

I was the "mom" of a mom and pop shop of a national franchise and I know that people didn't understand that our store was "mom and pop". I invested everything I owned and didn't own into it. I busted my ass to hire and keep good people, I paid them well and gave them good benefits. When we stopped being profitable enough to do such things I had to close the doors. I'm not a charity. I can't work for free just to make sure that other people are happy. Sorry.

People thought our store was some big corporate giant - not me and my husband, not mom and pop. We had to roll with their punches as well as ours.

And, yes, it hurt. And now I work only for me.

Go ahead and hate Walmart. I really don't care. I don't even know where one is. I just think your generalizations and lack of understanding of how business works is well..... dumb.

It is easy to sit on a high horse when you haven't risked anything.

Boomer, I think you're right in saying that most people don't understand that many franchise operations are, in fact, "mom and pop" and lump them into the same barrel as other big-box corporate operations. I worked for both McDonalds and Dunkin' Donuts in my youth, and realise fully that I was working for a small enterprise within a larger one. I also didn't include any franchise operations in the list of business types that I would skip in favor of a locally run business. If I choose a different locally run store over a franchise operation it would be based on product, not company. My children love McDonalds and eat there regularly (much too often) whereas I prefer the local greasy spoon. My preference has nothing to do with McDonalds, other than what they are serving, particularly as we are shareholders in McDonalds.

At the same time, in larger metropolitan areas at least, franchise owners tend to have a monopoly on a certain territory or region within their company and there is little 'mom and pop' left when the franchise enterprise becomes large. Franchise owners can operate anywhere between one and ??? (dozens, a hundred, I honestly don't know the upper end) and there is a point where it gets murky. Even so, I don't equate franchise operations and big-box corporations.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:07 am
detano inipo- I understand where you are coming from, but I think that your life experiences have colored your perception of the situation.

Wal-Mart is not evil. It is a company attempting to do business in the most efficient and profitable way of which they are able. I am not saying that Wal-Mart is a paragon of integrity, but all in life is a trade off.

No one is forced to work or shop at Wal-Mart. That is each individual's decision. I really don't want to hear people whining "it's the only game in town", and that Wal-Mart has destroyed other businesses. If the mom and pops in an area were obliged to close shop, it was precisely because Wal-Mart was deemed to be a better deal by the m&p's former customers.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 11:23 am
Thomas wrote:
JPB wrote:

For the people who work there, sweat shops in the third world are a huge improvement over the rural poverty they replaced -- a poverty that was less visible to us, but frequently lethal. If trade sanctions were to force sweatshops to close down, they would push people back into this rural poverty. For a 1500 word version of the argument, I recommend Paul Krugman's 1997 article In Defense of Cheap Labor.

I'm happy with Webster's definition of do-gooder: "an earnest often naive humanitarian or reformer". I probably would have emphasized the 'often naive' part more strongly.

I haven't read your link yet, Thomas, and will wait until I've done so to comment on cheap labor, other than to say the transferance of jobs overseas of certain sectors is a real issue in this country. The garment industry, as GW states, is one example and the tech support industry to India is another. There might be a case to be made for cheap labor on a global ecomomy scale, but the result here is a greater separation of the haves and have-nots. I personally know a number of people in the high-tech sector who have lost jobs and are now facing financial ruin.

I'm happy to hear that I fail the do-gooder test. I don't for a minute think that my personal shopping choices will have any impact on Walmart's bottom line, but I do sleep better at night thinking I might be supporting local families by shopping in their stores, even if it costs and extra dollar here and there.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:09 pm
Walgreen's stock has fallen more than 6% today and some investors are speculating that this is due to the recent news that Wal-Mart is entering the retail pharmacy business.

A Walgreens spokesman however denies this claim and has said, that the Wal-mart decision will not affect Walgreens as Wal-Mart will be selling only 300 generic drugs, while Walgreens routinely offers about 1600 generics.

The fall in Walgreens stock price is said to have beeen fueled by the earnings report of this retail drug giant. Analysts believed that earnings should have been higher.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:16 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
In general, we can expect people to sacrifice a lower-order good for a higher-order one. When a person, however, has to choose a low-wage job in order to survive, one is entitled to question whether, in that kind of situation, applying the basic economic calculus makes any sense. After all, we usually don't say that a person may "choose" starvation as a valid option. For individuals in that predicament, it's less a choice than a compulsion, so to say that they make an economic choice is somewhat deceptive. As the Athenians told the Melians a couple of millenia ago, the strong do what they will, and the weak do what they must.

The distinction between choice and compulsion is philosophically interesting, and I agree with everything you say about it. But in assessing the merits of sweatshops, I find it mostly semantic. In my language, sweatshops have offered many third-world-people the choice of not starving. In your language, sweatshops have reduced the compulsion on many third-world-people to starve. Tomeyto, tomuhto, poteyto, potuhto -- it's just two complimentary ways of saying sweatshops brought progress.

joefromchicago wrote:
Just because they make a choice, that doesn't mean that they make the right choice.

As a logical matter, that's true. But as a matter of practical politics, people tend to make better choices for themselves than for otherse. Hence, whether or not sweatshops are preferable to the choices available before they arrived, the people most likely to get the choice right are the third world workers. It isn't the US Congress, in which none of these workers has a vote.

joefromchicago wrote:
I will add, however, that, for some people, living on a garbage dump is probably preferable to living in a gutter, and being a loan slave or a disposable concubine is probably better than whatever alternative is offered to those people. Whether the alternatives are worse because they are less economically rewarding is something that I do not know, but I do know that people place a value on non-monetary goods that often lead them to make decisions that economists would regard as incomprehensible.

So your answer to my question is that you can name no specific non-monetary advantages of the jobs available to third-world-workers before the arrival of western sweatshops. Is that fair restatement?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:30 pm
detano inipo wrote:
Once I was discussing land mines and the misery they cause for the local population. Someone explained to me that old-fashioned mines used to take off a whole leg. The new and humane mines only rip off the foot.
According to that reasoning, some modern land mines are humane and should be admired.

If there were no other options than old-fashioned and modern land mines, they should. Then again, I don't think those were the only options.
detano inipo wrote:
An evil is immoral. Comparing it to a bigger evil does not make it moral.

On the other hand, Utopia is not an option. In most cases, social choices are between greater evils and lesser evils. Given these choices that exist, isn't the right decision to always opt for the lesser evil?

JPB wrote:
I personally know a number of people in the high-tech sector who have lost jobs and are now facing financial ruin.

I can see that. But if American citizens decide they find the amount of ruin in their nation unbearable, the adequate remedy is to create a social safety net that cushions the dislocations globalization brings. Just because you guys keep electing governments that dismantle the American welfare state, that's no reason to take it out on foreigners who are very poor -- poor even compared to Americans below the poverty line.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:40 pm
Thomas wrote:

It's no coincidence that the imperialist countries make up the "first-world" while the "third-world" consists of the pillaged. This article is laughably elitist. The argument is basically...
'Free the slaves? Why, that would be downright irresponsible. They're too ignorant to take care of themselves. Without their Massa they would never survive.'
Why should developing countries be forced to give up their sovereignty in order to participate in foreign trade and benefit from foreign investment? Why should they be forced to give up control of their own economies in order to exist?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:44 pm
echi, attempting to sum up Krugman's article, wrote:
'Free the slaves? Why, that would be downright irresponsible. They're too ignorant to take care of themselves. Without their Massa they would never survive.'

Please show me where Krugman argues that. I must have missed the passage.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:10 pm
Thomas wrote:
The distinction between choice and compulsion is philosophically interesting, and I agree with everything you say about it. But in assessing the merits of sweatshops, I find it mostly semantic. In my language, sweatshops have offered many third-world-people the choice of not starving. In your language, sweatshops have reduced the compulsion on many third-world-people to starve. Tomeyto, tomuhto, poteyto, potuhto -- it's just two complimentary ways of saying sweatshops brought progress.

Depends on what you mean by "progress."

Thomas wrote:
As a logical matter, that's true. But as a matter of practical politics, people tend to make better choices for themselves than for otherse. Hence, whether or not sweatshops are preferable to the choices available before they arrived, the people most likely to get the choice right are the third world workers. It isn't the US Congress, in which none of these workers has a vote.

Libertarians and free-market economists agree with you that people generally make the best decisions for themselves. That's why I think libertarians and free-market economists are all optimists regarding human nature. I remain a pessimist.

Thomas wrote:
So your answer to my question is that you can name no specific non-monetary advantages of the jobs available to third-world-workers before the arrival of western sweatshops. Is that fair restatement?

No, that would be a decidedly unfair restatement. I did not offer any specific non-monetary advantages of employment outside of sweatshops because I just don't know what those advantages might be. In general, such advantages would be specific to each individual, so they would be complex, numerous, and varied. For instance, the guy who was known as the champion garbage picker might value his reputation more than the extra money he could receive if he abandoned his garbage dump home and went to work for Nike. The Bangladeshi loan slave might prefer to remain in a system that actually permits his family to get loans (albeit on exorbitant and ultimately feudal terms) rather than venture into a free market system that, while it pays more in wages, does not offer him credit on any terms. And a disposable concubine might prefer relative predictability and security to the uncertainty and risks of the marketplace (not an uncommon feeling among people living in former Communist countries).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:20 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Libertarians and free-market economists agree with you that people generally make the best decisions for themselves. That's why I think libertarians and free-market economists are all optimists regarding human nature. I remain a pessimist.

Did you notice that I pointed to an article by Paul Krugman, who is a well-known liberal economist? When he writes In Praise of Cheap Labor his partisan preferences contradict his economic competence. To his credit, his economic competence won.

Concerning your comment on "human nature", I don't see how it applies here. As it happens, I'm a pessimist on human nature as well. All I'm saying is that some bad-natured humans are in a better position than others to make good decisions for third world workers. And that those aren't the members of the US congress, whom they have no vote on, and who doesn't have any direct stake in those people's welfare. Who, in your opinion, is better-suited than third-world workers to make decisions for third-world workers?
0 Replies