Damn you Walmart!!!

roger

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:27 pm
It's a big deal, and probably a bigger percentage of total prescriptions than generics / total inventory would indicate. Keep in mind, Walter, that health care is far from universal in the U.S. If a prescription drug sells for $240.00, there are just a whole bunch of people who have to pay $240.00, or do without. Oh, I wouldn't be surprised to find that people without health insurance do tend to shop at Wal-Mart.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 07:40 pm
What Green Witch said is what was in my head, but I didn't have time to expand on it earlier.

Okay, I'll admit to being a pessimist on this issue. I resisted the "nothing in life is free" thing for a loooong time. I get it now. We will all pay somewhere, sometime for that $4 prescription that lured us in.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 08:02 pm
Walmart stands for all the things I cannot accept.
So I decided never to buy there; it's easy. I have never been inside a Walmart store. (or in a MacDonalds junkfood restaurant)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 10:52 pm
Since I've been to US pharmacies now, I must say that German pharmacies are pharmy-cies and not warehouses.

Thus, there's no waiting line, you get your prescription seconds after you wanted it ... But if you really had to pay for the medication by yourslef (which you don't since it done by the insurance company), the US is - in general - cheaper.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:38 am
detano inipo wrote:
So I decided never to buy there; it's easy. I have never been inside a Walmart store. (or in a MacDonalds junkfood restaurant)

I don't shop there either. Not adamantly like some people I know, but I'll shop elsewhere if I have a choice. I think I've been in two Walmarts in the past six or seven years. Both times related to being on vacation and not knowing what my options were.

I took the same position with Walgreens for as long as I could. Our town had a small family-run pharmacy with an ice cream/soda counter where you could wait for your prescription to be filled. They hired high school kids and retired people to work the counter. The same people drove their delivery car to folks who didn't/couldn't come to the pharmacy. There was a Walgreens across the street in the shopping center. The small pharmacy eventually closed and Walgreens "graciously" hired the pharmacy staff. It was disheartening, to say the least, to see these people wearing their Walgreens smocks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:41 am
At first blush, retail giant Wal-Mart's plan to cut the cost of generic drugs sold at its pharmacies sounds like a great deal for consumers. The move puts pressure on all drug retailers to lower their prices, too.

However, the move may have little, if any, effect on the price consumers pay for their prescriptions. That's because most of the generics on Wal-Mart's discounted list either are not the most widely prescribed or already are heavily discounted by many health insurers.

Wal-Mart today will begin selling 30-day supplies of nearly 300 generic drugs for $4 per prescription at its stores in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. It said it plans to roll out the new prices at other Florida stores by January and to "as many states as possible" next year, though it provided no specifics.

Late Thursday, rival Target Corp. said it would match Wal-Mart's prices at its stores in the Tampa Bay area. The prices will be available to customers w
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:49 am
detano inipo wrote:

Many people in rural America do not have a choice. There are towns in which Walmart has crushed any competition and is the only store for miles. Similar thing with McDonalds. I was driving my niece to college and we stopped at a rural town to ask about a local diner for lunch. We were told there were no restaurants in town anymore, but if we went back out to expressway we would find a McDonalds and Pizza Hut.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:00 am
So basically what I am seeing here is that, who cares that this may help people save money... it is wal-mart that is doing it. Something about turning the screws on their suppliers, who happens to be the pharmaceutical industry... which I thought was everyones second favorite industry villian, right behind big oil.

Who cares about the little guy... we hate Wal-Mart!
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:07 am
dyslexia wrote:
However, the move may have little, if any, effect on the price consumers pay for their prescriptions. That's because most of the generics on Wal-Mart's discounted list either are not the most widely prescribed or already are heavily discounted by many health insurers.

Wal-Mart today will begin selling 30-day supplies of nearly 300 generic drugs for $4 per prescription at its stores in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. It said it plans to roll out the new prices at other Florida stores by January and to "as many states as possible" next year, though it provided no specifics.

Your statement is nearly entirely false. From the article:

Quote:
The drugs will be sold for as little as $4 for a month's supply and include some of the most commonly prescribed medicines such as Metformin, a popular generic drug used to treat diabetes, and the high blood pressure medicine Lisinopril.

That last bolded sentence contradicts your statements that it is not widely used drugs or didn't give any specifics. Sure many of the drugs may be already deeply discounted, but in my checkbook the less I have to pay the better.

As far as consumers not seeing a price difference:

Quote:
Late Thursday, rival Target Corp. said it would match Wal-Mart's prices at its stores in the Tampa Bay area.

Seems to me that competition has already lowered prices in rival target and will probably do the same soon in Walgreens. That is a price differenct that the consumers will see and will put even more pressure on the drug companies to lower their prices.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:08 am
I've only stepped foot in a Walmart one time in my entire life. That was in Colorado during a torrential downpour and part of my windshield wiper became loose and I needed a metric socket to set things right.

I tried to borrow one from several gas stations, but the pimply-faced clerks with the tattoos only stared at me and muttered something about such a thing being out of their range of capability.

I stared through the pouring rain at the glowing lights of the Walmart, and, because of the time and the distance I needed to travel by morning, I ventured into the den of Satan, purchased the socket set, made a hasty repair, then went back in and returned the set for a cash refund.

And regarding McDonalds: I would rather walk the highways of America and dine on roadkill than ever patronize that restaurant.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:13 am
Green Witch wrote:
Many people in rural America do not have a choice. There are towns in which Walmart has crushed any competition and is the only store for miles. Similar thing with McDonalds. I was driving my niece to college and we stopped at a rural town to ask about a local diner for lunch. We were told there were no restaurants in town anymore, but if we went back out to expressway we would find a McDonalds and Pizza Hut.

Supply and demand.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:13 am
Re: Damn you Walmart!!!
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Quote:

It is a good thing cities like Chicago are passing laws that will keep Wal-mart out of poverty stricken areas.

Poverty stricken areas? The ruling in Chicago, had it passed the $13/hr minimum wage law, could have kept Wal-mart out of ALL areas of the City.

Wouldn't the minimum wage law have applied to all Wal-Marts throughout the City?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:15 am
Re: Damn you Walmart!!!
Miller wrote:
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Quote:

It is a good thing cities like Chicago are passing laws that will keep Wal-mart out of poverty stricken areas.

Poverty stricken areas? The ruling in Chicago, had it passed the $13/hr minimum wage law, could have kept Wal-mart out of ALL areas of the City.

Wouldn't the minimum wage law have applied to all Wal-Marts throughout the City?

Yes... throuout the city where poverty teds to be highest. As oposed to the suburbs where poverty tends to be lower.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:15 am
roger wrote:
It's a big deal, and probably a bigger percentage of total prescriptions than generics / total inventory would indicate. Keep in mind, Walter, that health care is far from universal in the U.S. If a prescription drug sells for $240.00, there are just a whole bunch of people who have to pay $240.00, or do without. Oh, I wouldn't be surprised to find that people without health insurance do tend to shop at Wal-Mart.

Plenty of people with insurance will buy their meds at Wal-Mart. Who can really blame them? I don't.

Too bad, they don't have an ONLINE pharmacy.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:20 am
It's the motive and tactics I question. Walmart creates more poverty than it cures. It started the trend of cheap is better. Why pay $25 dollars for an American made sweatshirt when you can pay $12 for one made by poor people in Asia? Heck, you now can afford two sweatshirts instead of one.

Like many Walmarts, the one in my area gives out information to thieir employees on how they can sign up for food stamps and medicaid. If they really want to help poor people they will stop creating them. They could also stop supporting poverty overseas by insisting their suppliers pay better wages and not hire children. Of course, in the end, the American people have created Walmart as much as Walmart has created itself. I understand why poor people work and shop there. It's like a drug, once you're addicted to cheap plastic and cheap processed crap food it's hard to just stop.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:40 am
Green Witch wrote:
It's the motive and tactics I question. Walmart creates more poverty than it cures. It started the trend of cheap is better. Why pay $25 dollars for an American made sweatshirt when you can pay $12 for one made by poor people in Asia? Heck, you now can afford two sweatshirts instead of one.

How does this create poverty?? If offering lower prices than the competion creates poverty, than would the reverse be true? Does higher prices eliminate poverty?

The definition of poverty is having little or no money.
Wal-Mart sells items for less and helps people save money.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:08 am
Green Witch wrote:
Like many Walmarts, the one in my area gives out information to thieir employees on how they can sign up for food stamps and medicaid. If they really want to help poor people they will stop creating them.

They also provide information on how their employees can live on minimum wage incomes by spending their checks at Walmart. It's the company store of the new millenium.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:14 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

How does this create poverty?? If offering lower prices than the competion creates poverty, than would the reverse be true? Does higher prices eliminate poverty?

The definition of poverty is having little or no money.
Wal-Mart sells items for less and helps people save money.

It creates poverty by putting American companies out of business. The American garment industry of the late 20th century paid a living wage. Those workers now work for Walmart - for Less.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:16 am
What is the difference between Wal-mart paying minimum wage and Target, or your local grocery store, or all the stores in your local mall, or other "big box" stores like target or costco paying minimum wage?

Why does Wal-mart get all the grief for paying minimum wage to low or unskilled workers and everyone else gets a free pass?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 08:29 am
Green Witch wrote:
It creates poverty by putting American companies out of business. The American garment industry of the late 20th century paid a living wage. Those workers now work for Walmart - for Less.

All of them now work for Wal-Mart making less? Do you have a link for that?

Part of the globalization of economies is changing technologies. The world changes and grows and expands. Farming used to take a whole farm full of people to produce food. Now a single farmer with new technologies can grow food on his entire farm nearly by himself. This has enabled us to grow surpluses that help feed the world. Of course those poor folks who used to help farm the land have had to find a new way to make a living.

My point being, is that world change should not be held back by the plight of a few that are unwilling to change with it.
0 Replies