Dictators pollute US Universities

blatham

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:27 am
Setanta wrote:
Can we take a bunch of those jokers out back and shoot 'em?

The fella didn't bite, set. But it is a nice early autumn day here by the crick and I'll keep watch on the red float for a bit longer before heading home for some mennonite food. Christ in shitty napkins, I do so love that stuff!
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:52 am
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
RexRed wrote:
If they want a "cold war" they have one God dammit....

Well, that's one commandment broken today.

Jesus said the word "damn"...

You're either contending that your boy Hey-Zeus spoke English before the language existed, or you're attempting to claim that "damn" is a word in Aramaic--either way, you're a liar.

Of course, you are also inferentially saying you are "christ-like," but that sort of egoism from the religious lunatic fringe is never a surprise.

I am all of those things other than a liar...

Let me rephrase that, the translated Bible says Jesus said, "damned"...

Now are you Set claiming to be a better translator than the scholars of King James?

Mr 16:16
He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:57 am
No, i'm pointing out that your boy Hey-Zeus never said "damn." I don't, in fact, even consider that there is plausible evidence that he existed. However, if he did, he may have said something which can be translated as damn, but he certainly did not say "damn." Of course, you're source documents are suspect, as well. This sort of carelessness, and inaccuracy, are common among bible-thumpers, and underline their credulity while destroying their credibility.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:59 am
Setanta wrote:
No, i'm pointing out that your boy Hey-Zeus never said "damn." I don't, in fact, even consider that there is plausible evidence that he existed. However, if he did, he may have said something which can be translated as damn, but he certainly did not say "damn." Of course, you're source documents are suspect, as well. This sort of carelessness, and inaccuracy, are common among bible-thumpers, and underline their credulity while destroying their credibility.

Well I am certainly not going to quote Jesus in Aramaic... Smile

I respect your doubt but point out that your doubts seem to be a form of faith in itself...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:03 am
RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
RexRed wrote:

You're either contending that your boy Hey-Zeus spoke English before the language existed, or you're attempting to claim that "damn" is a word in Aramaic--either way, you're a liar.

Of course, you are also inferentially saying you are "christ-like," but that sort of egoism from the religious lunatic fringe is never a surprise.

Now are you Set claiming to be a better translator than the scholars of King James?

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

The error of course isn't saying 'damn' but saying 'god damnit,' which takes the lord's name in vain. But you knew that.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 10:07 am
RexRed wrote:
I respect your doubt but point out that your doubts seem to be a form of faith in itself...

Yes, it is convenient for the imaginary friend crowd to trot out tortured logic of the sort which would underpin such an assertion.

Doubt is not only not faith, doubt is antithetical to faith. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence. Doubt can arise from the absence of evidence, and is a healthy anodyne to faith.

In company with the aggressive, religious "agnostics," theists attempt ot assert that the absence of belief is a form of belief. This is not necessarily so, and is certainly not axiomatically so. If someone says to me that it is an historical fact that your boy Hey-Zeus existes, my response is "I don't think so." If they say to me that there is good historical evidence (HA!), i say: "I don't believe that." Faith is belief without evidence--my "doubt" is the absence of belief--that's a whole 'nuther animal . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:21 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
RexRed wrote:

The error of course isn't saying 'damn' but saying 'god damnit,' which takes the lord's name in vain. But you knew that.

Cycloptichorn

If God is doing the damning then it is not in vain...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:27 am
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Yes, it is convenient for the imaginary friend crowd to trot out tortured logic of the sort which would underpin such an assertion.

Doubt is not only not faith, doubt is antithetical to faith. Faith is belief in the absence of evidence. Doubt can arise from the absence of evidence, and is a healthy anodyne to faith.

In company with the aggressive, religious "agnostics," theists attempt ot assert that the absence of belief is a form of belief. This is not necessarily so, and is certainly not axiomatically so. If someone says to me that it is an historical fact that your boy Hey-Zeus existes, my response is "I don't think so." If they say to me that there is good historical evidence (HA!), i say: "I don't believe that." Faith is belief without evidence--my "doubt" is the absence of belief--that's a whole 'nuther animal . . .

Worry, doubt and fear are forms of negative "believing" as opposed to confidence, trust and faith which are positive believing.. though still each respectively relative forms of believing.

Believing (both positive and negative) equals receiving...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:03 am
RexRed wrote:

What a piece of work you are! Face it, RexRed, despite all of your backtracking and evasions, the lord knows that you took his name in vain. It is not for us to condemn you -- you have condemned yourself by your own words.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:17 am
RexRed wrote:
Worry, doubt and fear are forms of negative "believing" as opposed to confidence, trust and faith which are positive believing.. though still each respectively relative forms of believing.

I am not worried that you are obsessed with an imaginary friend superstition. I have no doubt that you are obsessed with an imaginary friend superstition. I do not fear your or your obsessive imaginary friend supersition. Rejecting someone else's belief does not itself constitute a belief. I understand that the bible-thumpers need desparately (due to their worry, doubt and fear) to assert that this is so--but it is not.

Quote:

I often wonder if you were not on the receiving end of serious cranial trauma while still an infant.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 03:54 am
joefromchicago wrote:
RexRed wrote:

What a piece of work you are! Face it, RexRed, despite all of your backtracking and evasions, the lord knows that you took his name in vain. It is not for us to condemn you -- you have condemned yourself by your own words.

You have only one part right, the lord knows...

You don't necessarily.

You do not know my intentions and what my meaning was whether is was in vain or invoked with the fullness of the limitless power of God.

God is glorified even in human vanity...

Php 1:18
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

Comment:
Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:41 am
Setanta wrote:
RexRed wrote:

I am not worried that you are obsessed with an imaginary friend superstition. I have no doubt that you are obsessed with an imaginary friend superstition. I do not fear your or your obsessive imaginary friend supersition. Rejecting someone else's belief does not itself constitute a belief. I understand that the bible-thumpers need desparately (due to their worry, doubt and fear) to assert that this is so--but it is not.

Quote:

I often wonder if you were not on the receiving end of serious cranial trauma while still an infant.

Set, there are both positive and negative believing.

Both are forms of believing.

As mentioned before, doubt, worry and fear they issue in unbelief...

likewise, confidence, trust and faith issue in believing.

Ps 34:4
I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:15 am
RexReed said
Quote:

So, a fellow sitting beside you in the park mentions that on the previous morning he felt "the presence of Jesus next to him" as he drove to work. Would your response to this be positive believing or negative believing?

Two minutes later, he adds that he sensed Jesus was wearing a propeller hat which the speaker had had as a kid and which always brought him comfort. Would your response be positive believing or negative believing?

He then confides that he also senses that his postman has been touched by Satan and that his own wife had been unfaithful. Would your response be positive believing or negative believing?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:24 am
blatham wrote:
RexReed said
Quote:

So, a fellow sitting beside you in the park mentions that on the previous morning he felt "the presence of Jesus next to him" as he drove to work. Would your response to this be positive believing or negative believing?

Two minutes later, he adds that he sensed Jesus was wearing a propeller hat which the speaker had had as a kid and which always brought him comfort. Would your response be positive believing or negative believing?

He then confides that he also senses that his postman has been touched by Satan and that his own wife had been unfaithful. Would your response be positive believing or negative believing?

Are these observations based upon faith or fear?

Fear is not a healthy emotion EVER...

The entire psychology of the world is that fear can be a healthy emotion...

Not so...

Fear always leads to the defeat of the soul's actual purpose...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 05:58 am
We don't know what motivates him. He may be fearful or he may be in calm exultation. He's a fellow talking to you.

So?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 01:30 pm
blatham wrote:
We don't know what motivates him. He may be fearful or he may be in calm exultation. He's a fellow talking to you.

So?

The mind can reverse fear and replace it with faith....

Fear is sand in the machinery of life.
Eli Stanley Jones
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 06:50 am
You avoided my questions.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 11:16 am
blatham wrote:

God is the judge of if our believing is positive or negative...

There are two "ways" in the Bible one of life and one of death, God shows us his way of holiness though the example of his son Christ Jesus.

This way is faith over fear, liberty over law and spirit over the five senses.

Now our first birth in this world is physical our second birth is spiritual.

Yet the mind still habitually clings to the physical reality. Thought by thought it must be renewed to the will of God. This can be a life long process. Yet it is the spirit (God's works in us) that is counted as our righteousness not our own works within the mind.

So just the recognition of the spiritual way is not sufficient enough to change the mind. The mind must be renewed thought by thought.

At the moment of the Christian new birth the believer has no more Christian character than before the birth, they simply now have a means with which to change.

Christians can still bless spoiled food and get sick...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 12:04 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:

RexReed said:
Quote:

Well, you were doing some of that there judging yourself with Setanta. You pointed to a postive belief and a negative belief, as you define them. A tad presumptuous, doing god's judging?

But there's more.

How do you know 'god is the judge of if our believing is positive or negative'? There's a passage in your Bible which has God speaking of a "negative belief"? Further, that He's the one who has exclusive judge-rights on the matter? You'll provide the scriptural passages?

It remains somewhat unclear how, in the future, you might go about identifying any negative or positive beliefs. God does the picking. Does he then leave a note on the belief's metaphorical forehead for you to read? "This one's a P...signed, god."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 12:42 pm
blatham wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

RexReed said:
Quote:

Well, you were doing some of that there judging yourself with Setanta. You pointed to a postive belief and a negative belief, as you define them. A tad presumptuous, doing god's judging?

But there's more.

How do you know 'god is the judge of if our believing is positive or negative'? There's a passage in your Bible which has God speaking of a "negative belief"? Further, that He's the one who has exclusive judge-rights on the matter? You'll provide the scriptural passages?

It remains somewhat unclear how, in the future, you might go about identifying any negative or positive beliefs. God does the picking. Does he then leave a note on the belief's metaphorical forehead for you to read? "This one's a P...signed, god."

People do judge themselves often contrary to the "way" God would judge them... God judges us by our spirit not our works, yet the world judges us by a set of arbitrary expectations and this has bearing on how we are affected by what type of believing we incorporate in our lives.

People also judge themselves by this external reality rather than the internal reality and presence of the holy spirit.

The external reality is imperfect the internal spirit is perfect.

If I were to ask you, "Are you perfect?" If you answer, "Yes." Then you have identified yourself with the "God made" inner person... If you answer, "No." then you have identified yourself with the "self made" external person.

It is not hard to realize that this duality of self perspective can change the course of one's life for better or worse.

We receive the recompense of our believing.
0 Replies